Riding For The Disabled

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
I'm on the RDA (RIding for the DIsabled) Midwest Dressage team, i've got onto the team every year for the past 10 years and i've just done it again :)
I have a few other illnesses other than diabetes which makes me intellectually disabled.

I went to the RDA Midwest Qualifiers in Wiltshire yesterday and i got a first in my Dressage (Like they did at the Olympics)
And a First in my Countryside challange (Lots of obstacles and tasks to do on the course)

This is a picture of "Merlin" who belongs to the Wellow RDA Group.

Does any other Diabetics on this forum ride? I do find i'm very thirsty when i finish riding and also i usually have hypos an hour after.

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Congrats !! Well done.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

H

Hooked

Fab, well done! Merlin looks gorgeous.
I used to work with horses from my teens into my mid twenties. Had kids and changed to work that fitted in around the children better, as you know horses is long hard hours! Would love to get back in the saddle again, but my old joints just wouldn't agree to that any more.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm on the RDA (RIding for the DIsabled) Midwest Dressage team, i've got onto the team every year for the past 10 years and i've just done it again :)
I have a few other illnesses other than diabetes which makes me intellectually disabled.

I went to the RDA Midwest Qualifiers in Wiltshire yesterday and i got a first in my Dressage (Like they did at the Olympics)
And a First in my Countryside challange (Lots of obstacles and tasks to do on the course)

This is a picture of "Merlin" who belongs to the Wellow RDA Group.

Does any other Diabetics on this forum ride? I do find i'm very thirsty when i finish riding and also i usually have hypos an hour after.

Many congratulations Mary, that's a great achievement well done. Merlin looks fab as well.
I used to ride, then went into breeding Welsh Cobs for many years, so had the best of both worlds :)

Reactions: 4 people

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Well done!
I've got a pony, not ridden in years though due to my weight

Valaraki

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I ride and have horses but its my son who has diabetes, I am just his supportive and nagging mother :D

Well done on you achievement that is fantastic :D