Type 1 Rising sugar levels through the night

nedboyd1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am using a CGM and have noticed that every night at about mid night my blood sugars begin to rise from about 6mmol to 17-19mmop when I wake up.

I’m very confused as my sugars are always very good before bed.

Can anyone help?

Reactions: KPD

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find this happens with me for a number of reasons:
I have had a lot of protein for meal before bed and it prolongs the release of sugar,
I have snacked in between or before bed,
My bolus was incorrect,

I'd suggest making sure you have eaten at least 3 hours before going to bed, check the trend and adjust if necessary, obviously also check your basal insulin is of the correct amount and not gone off.

Reactions: CranberryIce

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Perhaps firstly @nedboyd1967, could you provide a little more information such as :
what type of diet you follow and what have you been eating for your evening meal and supper?
What types and dose of insulin are you having from morning to night?
What were your BSLs like in the evening, night and early morning before this latest trend started?
Have there been any changes to your lifestyle such as more or less exercise, increased stress, a recent illness, a change in diet?
A change in your insulin type, injection sites, injection technique or doing more injecting of insulin in the same area or switch from multiple daily injections to an insulin pump??
How well protected is your insulin from temperature extremes such as over 30 degrees C, freezing.
This 'list' might be helpful in future but for now: information is power for the detective in us all!!! :pompous::pompous::pompous:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @nedboyd1967 I agree with Kitedoc, we need a little more information first to get a better picture of your current situation.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am using a CGM and have noticed that every night at about mid night my blood sugars begin to rise from about 6mmol to 17-19mmop when I wake up.

Were you seeing the 17-19 on your glucometer before you started using the cgm? Have you tried checking your morning result against a glucometer? Cgms aren't always accurate, for a number of reasons. I'd want to check unusually high or low readings against a glucometer. (eg lying on the sensor can influence the results for some people.)

nedboyd1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kitedoc Thanks so much for you message! Really appreciate the time. And @Muneeb and @Juicyj

Type and dose: I use Fiasp as my short acting and use a 1:10 ratio. I use Levemir as my long acting and do 16 units in the morning (7am) and 15 at bedtime (10:30pm).

BSL’s the night before. They are usually in a 4-8 range when I go to bed at 10:30pm. From looking at my CGM they start to rise at about midnight. BSL’s then continued to rise until about 3:30am where they level out at about 17-20 mmol.

No change to diet, stress etc

Insulin is very well protected to heat fluctuations

In the evenings I usually have dinner with a reasonable amount of carbs. I carb count and do the correct amount of Fiasp and my BSL’s are always pretty good before bed which is about 3 hours after I eat.

It’s really confusing me…

Ned

nedboyd1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were you seeing the 17-19 on your glucometer before you started using the cgm? Have you tried checking your morning result against a glucometer? Cgms aren't always accurate, for a number of reasons. I'd want to check unusually high or low readings against a glucometer. (eg lying on the sensor can influence the results for some people.)

I haven’t but I will definitely do this. In the morning I do feel like they are high. Always dry mouth and bursting for the loo...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Although I was Ok for the first few years I've been having similar problems with night time highs for a while now. Went to bed last night with glucose levels of 9.8 (3hrs after eating) and awoke at 6am today with blood sugar levels of 14.8. All I'd eaten was fish and a small portion of rice so I know how frustrating it is.

It seems the only way I can stop it is to go virtually zero carb for my evening meal. If I eat any form of pasta, rice for an evening meal then my levels are high when I wake.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure when you were diagnosed but rising overnight BG levels are a sign of the beta cells failing and the honeymoon period ending. Mine was confirmed by a 2 hour glucose test and I have increased my Tresiba dose now to help.

Providing your CGM is correct can you increase your pm Levemir?

nedboyd1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I was Ok for the first few years I've been having similar problems with night time highs for a while now. Went to bed last night with glucose levels of 9.8 (3hrs after eating) and awoke at 6am today with blood sugar levels of 14.8. All I'd eaten was fish and a small portion of rice so I know how frustrating it is.

It seems the only way I can stop it is to go virtually zero carb for my evening meal. If I eat any form of pasta, rice for an evening meal then my levels are high when I wake.

I’ve thought about doing zero carb in the evening as it just seems to have such an impact on my BGL’s. maybe I’ll give it a go over the next few weeks and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice