Sad Day...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh and also I've had a major drop in BG today after only a 20 minute run (ok so half was a brisk walk) than I would usually get for cycling or hiking. So clearly it's doing something! I avoided the hypo with a Jaffa cake pre and post run which seemed to do the trick

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems running is causing havoc with my BG! Might have to reduce my basal by a unit, but that only puts me on 2 units a day. And I'm a bit worried ill go high during the day the next day! Trial and error I guess

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
you inspired me to go and run last night, i normally only do it on the treadmill, i made a mistake in choosing a big hill it nearly killed me but i pushed on and stopped myself at 2 miles (took 23 mins) and walked home the rest of the way, its definatly harder than the treadmill but im going back out tonight (on flat ground) my goal is to do 5k 3 nights a week then a little gym stuff only at weekends

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:
you inspired me to go and run last night, i normally only do it on the treadmill, i made a mistake in choosing a big hill it nearly killed me but i pushed on and stopped myself at 2 miles (took 23 mins) and walked home the rest of the way, its definatly harder than the treadmill but im going back out tonight (on flat ground) my goal is to do 5k 3 nights a week then a little gym stuff only at weekends

I did 2.5K, so I guess that's about a mile and a half? In 25 minutes. So a bit of work to be done! But getting home was all uphill so I was walking that which will have slowed my time.

I couldn't run on the treadmill. I'd die of boredom! And my way the dog gets out too.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i have a beagle and i tried to run with him but the look on he face.....if a dog could swear....

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha! Mine is a beagle cross. He's only a puppy still so loves running about, hence the idea to run with him! He was a sleepy little man last night which is a bonus. I took him off the lead when we go to the park so he just went manic

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
well done guys, sounds like your both doing well, keep pushing and you'll get better in time. It took me ages to build up to 5K but I took my time walking then running then walking haha. I'm the opposite Andy I find running on a treadmill harder than outside, I only managed a mile this morning before my legs gave out haha

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had run number two. I missed a few days as I went to see Robbie Williams (plus I don't think my legs would have coped!)

Managed 3.5k this time so getting further. Super hot day otherwise I think I could have managed more. Still unsure of BG and how to keep it steady-ish.

Pre run i was 7.4, I ate a 13g biscuit. Immediately post run I'm now 6.4 and I know that will continue to drop further for a while. Its essentially "fine" levels but I'm not sure a biscuit is going to be the right thing to eat!

Any ideas?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate the dreadmill as well, much better to run outside if you can, even when it's raining, anything over 10k on the 'mill is torture. .

I think I may need to think about revising my levemir dosage as my morning levels seem to be getting lower over time. Last two days I've been <4 on waking. I've read that insulin needs can be lower with regular exercise, which I've got back to over the last two weeks.

Don't worry about apparently slow progress, starting any new or significant change in exercise needs to be done carefully. Much better to take half an hour to do 2 miles with run/walk and be able to do the same again the next day than to completely knacker yourself and only do something once a week. The first is much better overall and you'll soon see the gains soon enough. My sister went from doing no running at all to doing the Great South Run last year starting out with 20 minutes of 2mins run/2mins walk.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
already had a bad foot now my backs gone, i can bearly walk so running isnt going to happen till it heals :( shame i was on a mission, incidentally i joined a running forum its called running bug or something like that, the folks seem really nice and they say doing what they call a park run is a good way to start so as soon as my backs good im going to sign up for one and try a 5k, sounds like fun and itll give me something to train for, i can do 5k so not to challenging but maybee the 2nd one can be 10 hehe, worth having a look at it you can log the miles you run and get lots of advice, ill find a link.....

therunningbug.co.uk

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:
already had a bad foot now my backs gone, i can bearly walk so running isnt going to happen till it heals :( shame i was on a mission, incidentally i joined a running forum its called running bug or something like that, the folks seem really nice and they say doing what they call a park run is a good way to start so as soon as my backs good im going to sign up for one and try a 5k, sounds like fun and itll give me something to train for, i can do 5k so not to challenging but maybee the 2nd one can be 10 hehe, worth having a look at it you can log the miles you run and get lots of advice, ill find a link.....

therunningbug.co.uk

Running 5K is good! I'm still on a walk/run cycle and imagine I will be for quite a while. I'm happy with that though, it's a start at least! I'm off for the 3rd run tomorrow I think

I hope your back feels better soon!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
3months ago i was walking 60 seconds slow jogging 60 seconds for 15 mins and that killed me..... definatly gets easier

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha that would help! I'm not in it for the weight loss though. To be honest I don't have much to lose since the weight loss in the lead up to diagnosis! I just want to be vaguely fit!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
have you regained any since starting treatment?

I've put about 4-5kg back on, still a bit lighter than I started, but no longer a bag of bones.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've gained 4lbs in 4 months..... And I needed to! I lost a stone and a half though so I could easily gain a bit more with out any issues

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
ElyDave said:
have you regained any since starting treatment?

I've put about 4-5kg back on, still a bit lighter than I started, but no longer a bag of bones.

Hi Dave, think we're nearly neighbours ! I'm in Littleport, just up the road lol ! I'm currently training for a second Concept 2 rowing event. Last May, myself and a friend set a new World Record for longest continual row. We managed 50 hours non stop ! That was set in Manchester and still stands but hoping to beat it end of this year.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mo, we certaintly are

I'm The Ref on that forum. DOn't do much of that these days being more of a runner and cyclist for the last couple of years. Still keep my erg though, just in case. Might use it a bit during my taper towards the 70 miler.

50 hours, that's pretty special.