Saturated Fat

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
I've searched the forum and Google and can't really find a definitive answer. I'm on LCHF and trying to get to ketosis as I'm keeping carbs less than 30g. My question is with the fact my weight isn't moving (I have plenty to lose) how much saturated fat is too much?? I'm working to 30g carbs, 70g protein and 100g fat. From what I understand sat fat is not considered bad, but just wondered if I'm having too much which is why the loss of weight has stopped.
My typical day is;
16/8 fast until 12 or 1pm
Lunch scrambled eggs with butter, tomato and maybe a small spoon of beans (I can tolerate them well)
Evening meal maybe cauli/broccoli cheese bake (diet doctor) with roast chicken
Or DD meal using steak mince, cheese and cream...like cheesesteak casserole.
Sf jelly and cream as dessert.

I apologise if I am repeating to a similar post, but just still get confused over fats. There are lots of good fats that I really don't like which makes it harder.

And I know the whole purpose is to avoid the high bg levels which I am doing and is ultimately the whole reason I won't give up. But frustrating when I see everyone's amazing weight loss and mine isn't moving.

Sorry for posting yet again

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Other than weight...you might also want to track your waistline. Waist loss can occur with stable weight...

Reactions: AngiH

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To "guarantee" ketosis I'd cut out the beans. Maybe reduce the veg skip the tomato.
Try cutting carbs to below 20g just for a week and see if that helps.
It can take a while before you start burning your body fat and I'm sorry to say it can sometimes be slower for women.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Other than weight...you might also want to track your waistline. Waist loss can occur with stable weight...
Yes, I keep meaning to buy a tape measure....I will do today and take all measurements. Thank you

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To "guarantee" ketosis I'd cut out the beans. Maybe reduce the veg skip the tomato.
Try cutting carbs to below 20g just for a week and see if that helps.
It can take a while before you start burning your body fat and I'm sorry to say it can sometimes be slower for women.
Ok, I love beans but I also love cakes and chocs and bread and spuds and don't touch them..so I'm sure to get to the fat burning stage I won't miss them. My carbs are normally no more that 30g but that is not net carbs, so probably a little lower.
So dropping the beans and toms means just eggs for lunch...may have to get used to bacon
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, I love beans but I also love cakes and chocs and bread and spuds and don't touch them..so I'm sure to get to the fat burning stage I won't miss them. My carbs are normally no more that 30g but that is not net carbs, so probably a little lower.
So dropping the beans and toms means just eggs for lunch...may have to get used to bacon
Thanks
Ham? cheese? lots of other things than eggs. Salamis all easily transportable if required.. and of course pork scratchings...

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thanks

It's something many of us have had to get used to, the bacon. It's tough, but many have stuck with it, forcing themselves through the hardship to endure bacon and eggs. I have faith you will succeed. :)

Reactions: Guzzler and AngiH

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's something many of us have had to get used to, the bacon. It's tough, but many have stuck with it, forcing themselves through the hardship to endure bacon and eggs. I have faith you will succeed. :)
I will succeed in this difficult task

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ham? cheese? lots of other things than eggs. Salamis all easily transportable if required.. and of course pork scratchings...
Cheese is good, never tried salami and don't like ham. But I am lucky that I don't start work til 2pm, so fast until 12 and then eat... love tuna and salmon (tinned), mayo..
Just don't want to gain weight with the cheeses and cream etc..I think I'm eating about 20g of sat. Fat a day.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Do you get hungry before you eat. I do.

Currently omad, it's working well re bg but I could eat a horse by the time I eat?..... Hmm horse?

Anyway my weight loss has slowed up but my waist is still shrinking. I wonder if all the 'plumbing' and such shrinks now it's not full of junk all the time?

I have a belt with 5 (shortly to be 6) extra holes in it. Cataloging my waist.

I did find that the weight would come off in random spurts. Sometimes several kilos in a week. Other times nothing.

Bet your just building to a spurt (er?)

As far as meals. Yesterday I had leeks and bacon cooked in butter. Beef mince with chilli and mushrooms and a side of tuna salad with 2 tablespoons of mayo. Greek yog mixed with ground almonds and double cream to finish. Monster plate, looked a right pig, piled high (thanks bulkbiker).

Spot the carbs. Single figures by my count. Don't know fat or calories. Never check.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Angi are you sure that statement is accurate? This is for the whole day not each meal, right?

30g = less than a full packet of Polos. :meh:
:bag:
Hi
Yes definitely correct. Most of what I eat has little or no carbs, cheese, tuna, eggs, steak mince, chicken, cauli and broccoli.
The added carbs are from my morning cuppa, tomatoes, beans (gonna give them up now), jelly and cream. I don't touch bread, rice, pasta, cakes, crisps etc.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you get hungry before you eat. I do.

Currently omad, it's working well re bg but I could eat a horse by the time I eat?..... Hmm horse?

Anyway my weight loss has slowed up but my waist is still shrinking. I wonder if all the 'plumbing' and such shrinks now it's not full of junk all the time?

I have a belt with 5 (shortly to be 6) extra holes in it. Cataloging my waist.

I did find that the weight would come off in random spurts. Sometimes several kilos in a week. Other times nothing.

Bet your just building to a spurt (er?)

As far as meals. Yesterday I had leeks and bacon cooked in butter. Beef mince with chilli and mushrooms and a side of tuna salad with 2 tablespoons of mayo. Greek yog mixed with ground almonds and double cream to finish. Monster plate, looked a right pig, piled high (thanks bulkbiker).

Spot the carbs. Single figures by my count. Don't know fat or calories. Never check.
I don't get hungry and can easily skip lunch as well as breakfast. But I'm hungry by evening meal time....not a lover of horse though

I've only been at this since 3rd Jan, 10lb fell off and now nothing this last week or so. I feel lighter in myself, really must get a tape measure.

Your food sounds lovely. I am a fan of chilli and must give it a try. I think the slow cooker needs to come out, as when I'm in from work I really don't want to be cooking for ages from scratch....
Let's hope I'm working up to a weight loss spurt!!
Thank you.

Reactions: Flora123 and jjraak

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
You have to do pork.

Put it in first thing. Then forget it for 7 or 8 hours.

Omg. The meat melts. You can trim and cook off the cracking too.
Make your own scratchings. That way you can make them as hard as you like. To suit your teeth.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cauli and broccoli.
You do realise all vegetables are carbohydrates.
That's why I used the packet of Polos as a reference when you said you were having cauli and broccoli bake for dinner about 2 spoonful's of that would be your entire 30g for the whole day.

Just looked up the recipe the DD cheescake has onions, mushrooms and peppers in it to. Are you taking all these into account when your calculating your 30g per day. One medium sized onion in the cheesesteak casserole is about 25g of carbs.

This could be why you are not seeing the results you are expecting. :banghead:

I know this was a stumbling block for me not taking into account the extra carbs in things for flavour onions etc..:banghead:

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's why I used the packet of Polos as a reference when you said you were having cauli and broccoli bake for dinner about 2 spoonful's of that would be your entire 30g for the whole day.

Just looked up the recipe the DD cheescake has onions, mushrooms and peppers in it to. Are you taking all these into account when your calculating your 30g per day. One medium sized onion in the cheesesteak casserole is about 25g of carbs.

I know this was a stumbling block for me not taking into account the extra carbs in things for flavour onions etc..:banghead:
Hi, yes I am aware. All above ground veggies have some carbs but are generally safer. Below ground not so good. I only have the broccoli bake once a week.
As for the onions, mushrooms and peppers I hate all of those so they don't go in haha....
Thank you, I know you are trying to help me find my way.
I'm now eating my lunch, tuna in oil, 3 slices of cucumber and a little grated cheese

M

Member496333

Nothing wrong with saturated fat. It’s just molecularly stable because there are no double carbon bonds. The molecule is sauturated with hydrogen atoms, making it stable and less prone to oxidisation and going rancid. The name itself implies something sisnister when the idea has already been planted in people’s heads.

Remember, by the way, that although your blood glucose control is now very good, this is in no small part because your insulin sensitivity has greatly improved. Your body will likely still contain quite a lot of sugar. Using glucose as fuel carries a smaller energy penalty than fat or protein, and so you will burn sugar preferentially over fat. As your burn off more and more sugar in the fullness of time, your metabolic pathways will become more and more adapted to using stored fat for fuel, and you will lose more weight until you reach your biological optimum.

Relax. Keep doing what you’re doing and trust in nature. Your appetite will take care of everything for you. Put the right fuel into your body and there is no need to overthink anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AngiH and jjraak

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing wrong with saturated fat. It’s just molecularly stable because there are no double carbon bonds. The molecule is sauturated with hydrogen atoms, making it stable and less prone to oxidisation and going rancid. The name itself implies something sisnister when the idea has already been planted in people’s heads.

Remember, by the way, that although your blood glucose control is now very good, this is in no small part because your insulin sensitivity has greatly improved. Your body will likely still contain quite a lot of sugar. Using glucose as fuel carries a smaller energy penalty than fat or protein, and so you will burn sugar preferentially over fat. As your burn off more and more sugar in the fullness of time, your metabolic pathways will become more and more adapted to using stored fat for fuel, and you will lose more weight until you reach your biological optimum.

Relax. Keep doing what you’re doing and trust in nature. Your appetite will take care of everything for you. Put the right fuel into your body and there is no need to overthink anything.
Thank you Jim, I know you will always have the words of wisdom.
That makes sense as for as long as I can remember I have been filling up on carbs and sweet things, so yes most likely the 1st weight loss was water and now it's finding it's new path. I can't do anymore than I am, as low carb as I can and now fat burning cardio. I'll let nature take its course.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You need to double check your info - the cheesesteak pie is 9g carb per portion and only uses 1/4 of an onion (I had this last week) - also cauliflower/broccoli are really low carb and would be about 5g carb for 2 good spoonfuls - I'm have caulimash tonight and a150g portion (2 generous spoonfuls) is 5g carb - so all well under 20g carb needed for keto