Sauna & jacuzzi

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read recently that type 1's shouldn't use the sauna or jacuzzi, as I regular user in the gym, I was wondering what is the reason for this if true

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a notice in our local gym says "Diabetics" (i.e. not just type ones) should not use the sauna or steam room. I haven't struggled to read the notice in full, it's in small print and I don't wear glasses in a steam room, but I think it mentions feet. Just protecting themselves???
Sally

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think the reason is it can induce more insulin sensitivity ( heat ) and so increase risk of hypo. It's an a** covering exercise to be honest. I still use them.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

It refers to all diabetics .......i have never seen a sign that says just type 1
Nice to have a swim steam and sauna ....I have not for ages, just walk now ...

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow cant believe they are allowed to do that..! Is disgusting they ban diabetics when there is no reason to. I use sauna's and ice rooms as safely as the next person. I sometimes may cower because i cant take the heat in my face but regardless we need to protest! :-D

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Any notices regarding diabetics would have been put up as a precautionary/advisory measure, not to ban the D.
Just health and safety for anyone who happens to be diabetic..

Indeed insulin sensitivity can be increased with heat from a sauna or hot water. But this can be dealt with by lowering insulin & monitoring the blood.
Neuropathy may be an issue with regards to feeling higher temperatures & not noticing scalding.. Again, this is just a case of making sure the temp is within safe tolerances..

To be honest I've done Indian & Swedish saunas & never seen any signs..
The methol sauna I had in Kodaikanal was like chemical warfare..!

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies, I just read it on the internet somewhere, there are no signs stating this in the gym. Sorry for any confusion

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I use my neighbours jacussi weekly... Detach from my pump for an hour... I do have to be careful during the early morning afterwards.. Eg. Jacussi 7-8pm Friday night, Sat morn around 4-7pm my levels would dip.
As I go to bed late Sat morns as well then I will now turn pump to 80% from about midnight to 3am. Does mean I get an alarm at 3am to turn off on pump, but I don't mind that. Rather be able to reduce basal than have to eat more...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As said heat can speed up the rate in which insulin is absorbed so it's wise to take sensible precautions, also for diabetics who have neuropathy problems taking a sauna or jacuzzi can be dangerous as they often can't feel temperature changes.

All I would say is go careful and make sure you have some fast-acting glucose to hand, if possible make sure someone with you is aware of your diabetes.