Saving the planet

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

UN News

After Japanese reactor accident, UN agency pledges to restore faith in nuclear power
https://news.un.org/en/story/2011/0...un-agency-pledges-restore-faith-nuclear-power

....and the climate crisis was born.
Coincidence?
Well how else were the UN going to save the nuclear industry .... which now because the end is nigh .... is being supported by previously life long demonstrators against nuclear power generation.
Germany shut their's down and said no more .... other countries followed rapidly.
A trillion dollar and more industry on its knees overnight.
Shares became worthless held by pension funds banks insurance giants and lone individuals.
Plant standing idle around the world vehicles sitting rotting half finished projects abandoned planned projects abandoned.
This was very serious economic stuff with jobs from top scientists down the cleaners out on their ears.
How .... seriously how could such a dire situation be turned around?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sea level rise alarming and dangerous?
Well I live not far from the sea and my grandchildren get to play and picnic on the same sea walls I did.
Same rocks same sand dunes nothing has changed ..... nothing at all.

The Pentagon and the American government will of course be well aware of any sea rise threats to their billions of pounds worth of radar satellite and other communications equipment on Diego Garcia and island in the Indian ocean.
They have huge fuel storage tanks as good as on the beach for refueling war planes and ships.
Food and medical stores for resupplying ships and submarines with food medicines and troops.
They have billions of pounds worth of long range bombers and all the munitions needed to restock them along with a base force of around seven thousand personnel.
Are they building sea defences or pulling out?
No.
Diego Garcia: Why This Base Is About To Get Much More Important to the U.S. Military
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...out-get-much-more-important-us-military-45682

Have a look at some pictures of it here > https://www.google.com/search?q=die...WfThUIHVwdBrEQ_AUoAnoECBMQBA&biw=1731&bih=836

Lies working away right under our noses.
Diego Garcia is part of the Chagos islands (Chagos Archipelago) and when it comes to letting the natives go back home who Britain kicked off the islands the British government say oh no we can't allow you back ....(it'll cost us a fortune) because of sea level rise but as you can see above .... the sea level rise doesn't exist for the American military .... no everything's fine .... as you were.
Chagos islands in sea-level rise controversy
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-in-sea-level-rise-controversy/#ixzz669yfxaPJ

All these lies these sackings these manipulations of facts and figures wouldn't be needed if any of this 'crisis' were real.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
It's become a new religion where the high priests speak and the people bow not understanding much of what the high priests are saying but following anyway because .... they wouldn't lie to us!!!!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Bjorn Lomborg Fighting Australia’s Fire Myths
FEBRUARY 16, 2020

Australia is the world’s most fire-prone continent. In 1900, 11 per cent of its surface burned annually. These days, 5 per cent of the country burns every year.

When the media suggests Australia’s fires are “unprecedented in scale”, it is wrong. Australia’s burnt area declined by more than a third from 1900 to 2000, and has declined across the satellite period. This fire season, at the time of writing, 2.5 per cent of Australia’s area has burned compared with the past 10 years’ 4.8 per cent average by this point.

What is different this year is that fires have been mostly in NSW and Victoria. These are important states with a little more than half the country’s population — and many of its media outlets.

But suggesting fires are caused by global warming rests on cherrypicking these two regions with more fire and ignoring the remaining 87 per cent of Australia’s landmass, where burned area has declined.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wor...rg-fighting-australias-fire-myths/#more-43547

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Everywhere I go lately people are talking about the rain the floods it's the end of civilisation because of global warming climate change but is it?
The mainstream media don't want us to think hang on it's always been like this hasn't it?
Nothing's really changed has it?
Yes it has always been like this and no not much if anything has changed at all buut forget the MSM reminding you of that it's not part of the agenda ....take a look at these before the powers that be shut this stuff down and they will soon because the truth our history will be rewritten .... is being rewritten.
Younger people will believe easily this stuff has never happened before.
The worst rain ever in Britain and worst flooding was apparently in the late 1700's.
What was worst before that we don't know because records are sparse.
Have a look at this stuff ....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=British+Pathe+news+floods+in+great+britain

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everywhere I go lately people are talking about the rain the floods it's the end of civilisation because of global warming climate change but is it?
The mainstream media don't want us to think hang on it's always been like this hasn't it?
Nothing's really changed has it?
Yes it has always been like this and no not much if anything has changed at all buut forget the MSM reminding you of that it's not part of the agenda ....take a look at these before the powers that be shut this stuff down and they will soon because the truth our history will be rewritten .... is being rewritten.
Younger people will believe easily this stuff has never happened before.
The worst rain ever in Britain and worst flooding was apparently in the late 1700's.
What was worst before that we don't know because records are sparse.
Have a look at this stuff ....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=British+Pathe+news+floods+in+great+britain
What has changed is that the jet stream has moved, the wind speeds are faster. We now have weather fronts which hang around longer, so the damage is greater. The frequency of flooding has changed, the amount of rainfall has changed.

This is happening year on year now, along with other more severe weather.

Regardless of why it's happening, climate change is happening.

While people are discussing and looking at the cause, the affect is not getting the attention it deserves.

If someone house is on fire, we don't stand around discussing the possible cause before trying to put it out. Unfortunately, with climate change, this is exactly what governments are doing.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I don't know hw or who but this nonsense has to be sto
What has changed is that the jet stream has moved, the wind speeds are faster. We now have weather fronts which hang around longer, so the damage is greater. The frequency of flooding has changed, the amount of rainfall has changed.

This is happening year on year now, along with other more severe weather.

Regardless of why it's happening, climate change is happening.

While people are discussing and looking at the cause, the affect is not getting the attention it deserves.

If someone house is on fire, we don't stand around discussing the possible cause before trying to put it out. Unfortunately, with climate change, this is exactly what governments are doing.
Science and history say nothing has really changed.
It was warmer a thousand years ago and even warmer 2000 years ago when grapes were being grown along the Scottish border.
There is absolutely nothing to worry about.
Yes the climate is always changing and always will but this has to be the first time that man thinks he can stop it or change it we can't.
We are putting a tiny bit of CO2 back into the sky from where it came by burning fossil fuels.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What am I doing towards saving the planet? Well, for 30 years now I have consistently had my milk delivered to my doorstep. It is more expensive than buying it in th supermarket, but I get it in glass bottles that I habitually rinse out and return for reuse. I avoid the non recyclable plastic vontsainers from the supermart, an I cut down the number of days I have to go out shopping to collect it.. The Milkie has used an electric milkfloat for over 20 years now, and previously it was horse drawn.

I do own a car, and still hold a licence to drive, but now I am retired and no longer commute, I hardly use it. I do the weekly food and household shopping on a mobility scooter. It is a curious sight and I need a roof rack fitted, and I struggle sometimes since the weely shop if to feed 4 mouths and a cat, so loaded to the gunwales mostly with a ruscksak on the back to boot (or as boot). This is an electric vehicle charged from renewables by my kind energy supplier who has a tariff for this. I rarely us taxi's and the public transport in my town is abysmal. I need the scooter to get to the bus stop and then there is never room for it due to the number of prams, pushchairs, and shopping trolleys that fill the disabled space. I use the scooter to go to the local hospital for appointments, but several times now I have ended up pushing it home. I used to take my charger with me, but the hospital has banned these since they are not PAT tested and do not have a certificate from their private contracted electrician to say it is safe. On rainy days, I have a plastic multi use onesie that covers it all, but blows off in the wind which would look good on Youtube,

I have recently replaced my central heating system and upgraded fro a Class G to Class A+ efficiency system. The controller is one I can command by smartphone (if I had onethat would be) and has zone control in every room which allows me to turn off the heating in rooms occupiedby people that have p****ed me off recently.. It is gas fired, since the house is rated for 25kw but my electric supply is limited to 15kw max for everything. Hydrogen is not available in my area, and methane, although often in abundance in this household, is not bottled (and its not due to cows - I would say it was manmade, but that would be sexist)

I would absolutely LOVE to recycle more of our waste. Food waste is lowish, but we have to remove the bones first else its contaminated and then rejected. Hoe they can tell I am not sure since they do not open the caddies before tipping. But its a regulation in our area. My main beef (pardon the expression) is that my generl non recyclable waste is almost always 90% plastic packaging. We can only recycle clear plstic bottles with all labelling removed and tops put in main bin. Again, glass must be unbroken, and all labelling removed before they will take it. metal jar tops are taboo because they have the BPA film on them No electrical items of any description. No paper in the crboard recycling, and no card in the paper recycling. The plastic inserts in some tissue boxes and chocolate boxes must be ripped out and dumped. No item weighting more that 1kg is allowed. No trace of food in the recycling bin else the whole lot is left behind when the lorry moves on, They have a Co2 sniffer that they use to detect food waste.

All bins are microchipped which they scan and record so all misdemeanours are notifiable, Too many red marks, and you get put on ignore until you pay the fine. Bins must not be put out until 6am on bin day which in our street starts at 7 am pronto, so means an early start for me, Bins must be taken off the street by 6 pm sharp, There is a warden who patrols the area,

So yes, this is an area I would be willing to support moves to do more, but they make it so difficult and draconian.

What more am I doing? Well I have to get a new roof on the house since the old one succumbed to a storm last year. This will be felted and battened, so shoulf reduce heat loss there.

I still eat meat, and intend to continue as long as I can. We have reduced our consumption already and no longer have the ritual roast dinner on Sundays. We do have the occasional meatfree day but do use dairy and eggs, I have no plans to go vegan - I have considered it but found it too restrictive and harmful for me.

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I both agree and disagree with JTL. I believe that climate change is real AND that there is a nefarious agenda. We should do more to protect our planet from certain man-made influences. But the very people that are exploiting the so-called "crisis" for profit are casting doubt among many of us, (myself included). How can we trust what you claim we need to do if you are profiting from us doing it? Al Gore....Hello? How do we trust the message if the messengers do not practice what they preach? Leonardo Di Caprio... Hello?
But just because many of those that are climbing onto the soap box about climate change are untrustworthy, does not mean that it is okay to pollute at will. We really should be doing things that are "WITHIN REASON" to try and keep the Earth habitable for humans for as long as possible. Getting rid of so much plastic waste is a reasonable goal. Outlawing the sale of gas burning cars, (a recent proposal in Washington State, USA), is not. It seems simple enough to start with doing the obvious.

robin47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just saw this report at the end of last year. If it comes to pass maybe healthier food will result?

RETHINKX: FARMING AND AGRICULTURE - Precision Fermentation(PF)

Highlights of the report findings include:
* Industry Impacts
* By 2030, the number of cows in the U.S. will have fallen by 50%. Production volumes of the U.S. beef and dairy industries and their suppliers will be cut by more than half.
* By 2030, the market for ground beef by volume will have shrunk by 70%, the steak market by 30% and the dairy market by almost 90%. The markets for other cow products (leather, collagen, etc.) are likely to decline by more than 90%. In total, demand for cow products will fall by 70%.
* By 2030, the U.S. dairy and cattle industries will have collapsed, leaving only local specialty farms in operation.
* By 2035, demand for cow products will fall by 80%-90% and U.S. beef and dairy industry (and their suppliers) revenues, at current prices, will be down nearly 90%.
* Farmland values will collapse by 40%-80%.
* The volume of crops needed to feed cattle in the U.S. will fall by 50% from 155 million tons in 2018 to 80 million tons in 2030, causing cattle feed production revenues, at current prices, to fall by more than 50% from 60 billion in 2019 to less than $30 billion in 2030.
* Other livestock industries will suffer similar disruptions, while the knock-on effects for crop farmers and businesses throughout the value chain will be severe.
* Food Cost Savings
* The cost of modern foods and products will be at least 50% and as much as 80% lower than the animal products they replace, which will translate into substantially lower prices and increased disposable incomes. The average U.S. family will save more than $1,200 a year in food costs, keeping an additional $100bn a year in Americans’ pockets by 2030.
* Jobs Lost and Gained
* Half of the 1.2 million jobs in U.S. beef and dairy production (including supply chain), along with their associated industries, will be lost by 2030, climbing toward 90% by 2035.
* The emerging U.S. modern foods industry will create at least 700,000 jobs by 2030 and up to 1 million jobs by 2035.
* Modern foods will be far more efficient than animal-derived products: Up to 100 times more land efficient, 10-25 times more feedstock efficient, 20 times more time efficient, and 10 times more water efficient than industrial livestock. They will also produce an order of magnitude less waste.
* By 2035, 60% of the land currently used for livestock and feed production will be freed for other uses. These 485 million acres equate to 13 times the size of Iowa, an area almost the size of the Louisiana Purchase. If all this land were dedicated to maximize carbon sequestration, all current sources of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions could be fully offset by 2035.
* U.S. greenhouse gas emissions from cattle will drop by 60% by 2030, on course to nearly 80% by 2035. Even when the modern food production that replaces animal agriculture is included, net emissions from the sector as a whole will decline by 45% by 2030, on course to 65% by 2035.
* Water consumption in cattle production and associated feed cropland irrigation will fall by 50% by 2030, on course to 75% by 2035. Even when the modern food production that replaces animal agriculture is included, net water consumption in the sector as a whole will decline by 35% by 2030, on course to 60% by 2035.
* Oil demand from the U.S. agriculture industry (currently 150 million barrels of oil equivalent a year) will fall by at least 50% by 2030.
* The modern food system will be decentralized and therefore more stable and resilient, thereby increasing food security.
* Nutritional benefits could have profound impact on health, particularly conditions such as heart disease, obesity, cancer, and diabetes that are estimated to cost the U.S. $1.7 trillion each year. The way they are produced should also ensure a sharp reduction in foodborne illness.
* Trade relations and geo-politics will shift due to a decentralized food production system.
* Any country will be able to capture the opportunities associated with a global industry worth hundreds of billions of dollars.
The new report focuses on the food industry, but the same technology is poised to disrupt and blur the lines that separate food, cosmetics, healthcare, and materials. The sheer scale of this market opportunity will create a virtuous cycle, attracting talent and investment, increasing research and development, improving products and processes and inventing new ones, accelerating market growth, driving down costs and speeding up adoption.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just saw this report at the end of last year. If it comes to pass maybe healthier food will result?

RETHINKX: FARMING AND AGRICULTURE - Precision Fermentation(PF)

Highlights of the report findings include:
* Industry Impacts
* By 2030, the number of cows in the U.S. will have fallen by 50%. Production volumes of the U.S. beef and dairy industries and their suppliers will be cut by more than half.
* By 2030, the market for ground beef by volume will have shrunk by 70%, the steak market by 30% and the dairy market by almost 90%. The markets for other cow products (leather, collagen, etc.) are likely to decline by more than 90%. In total, demand for cow products will fall by 70%.
* By 2030, the U.S. dairy and cattle industries will have collapsed, leaving only local specialty farms in operation.
* By 2035, demand for cow products will fall by 80%-90% and U.S. beef and dairy industry (and their suppliers) revenues, at current prices, will be down nearly 90%.
* Farmland values will collapse by 40%-80%.
* The volume of crops needed to feed cattle in the U.S. will fall by 50% from 155 million tons in 2018 to 80 million tons in 2030, causing cattle feed production revenues, at current prices, to fall by more than 50% from 60 billion in 2019 to less than $30 billion in 2030.
* Other livestock industries will suffer similar disruptions, while the knock-on effects for crop farmers and businesses throughout the value chain will be severe.
* Food Cost Savings
* The cost of modern foods and products will be at least 50% and as much as 80% lower than the animal products they replace, which will translate into substantially lower prices and increased disposable incomes. The average U.S. family will save more than $1,200 a year in food costs, keeping an additional $100bn a year in Americans’ pockets by 2030.
* Jobs Lost and Gained
* Half of the 1.2 million jobs in U.S. beef and dairy production (including supply chain), along with their associated industries, will be lost by 2030, climbing toward 90% by 2035.
* The emerging U.S. modern foods industry will create at least 700,000 jobs by 2030 and up to 1 million jobs by 2035.
* Modern foods will be far more efficient than animal-derived products: Up to 100 times more land efficient, 10-25 times more feedstock efficient, 20 times more time efficient, and 10 times more water efficient than industrial livestock. They will also produce an order of magnitude less waste.
* By 2035, 60% of the land currently used for livestock and feed production will be freed for other uses. These 485 million acres equate to 13 times the size of Iowa, an area almost the size of the Louisiana Purchase. If all this land were dedicated to maximize carbon sequestration, all current sources of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions could be fully offset by 2035.
* U.S. greenhouse gas emissions from cattle will drop by 60% by 2030, on course to nearly 80% by 2035. Even when the modern food production that replaces animal agriculture is included, net emissions from the sector as a whole will decline by 45% by 2030, on course to 65% by 2035.
* Water consumption in cattle production and associated feed cropland irrigation will fall by 50% by 2030, on course to 75% by 2035. Even when the modern food production that replaces animal agriculture is included, net water consumption in the sector as a whole will decline by 35% by 2030, on course to 60% by 2035.
* Oil demand from the U.S. agriculture industry (currently 150 million barrels of oil equivalent a year) will fall by at least 50% by 2030.
* The modern food system will be decentralized and therefore more stable and resilient, thereby increasing food security.
* Nutritional benefits could have profound impact on health, particularly conditions such as heart disease, obesity, cancer, and diabetes that are estimated to cost the U.S. $1.7 trillion each year. The way they are produced should also ensure a sharp reduction in foodborne illness.
* Trade relations and geo-politics will shift due to a decentralized food production system.
* Any country will be able to capture the opportunities associated with a global industry worth hundreds of billions of dollars.
The new report focuses on the food industry, but the same technology is poised to disrupt and blur the lines that separate food, cosmetics, healthcare, and materials. The sheer scale of this market opportunity will create a virtuous cycle, attracting talent and investment, increasing research and development, improving products and processes and inventing new ones, accelerating market growth, driving down costs and speeding up adoption.

Can I have a link to this report please?

There is so much wrong with it I don't know where to start.

I am guessing precision fermentation is one of the man made processed fake foods companies?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Don't people suspect health issues down the road from fake meat?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't people suspect health issues down the road from fake meat?
Nope. Yum Yum its made from plants or mushrooms so it must be healthy, Stands to reason, The fact that they re genetically modify bacteria to make it is not mentioned in many places (apart ftom the FDA). It looks like, it smells (ermm like) it has the identical texture as meat, so it is as good as meat (actually the claim is its better than the real thing) - Wrong!!!!! It is misssing some of the essential nutrients that meat automatically gives us. or it contains more than the RDA for iron in each pattie, so eating more than one a day might give rise to a toxic overdose since iron is NOT excreted and builds up in the body. This iron is added as a colourant so is not covered by nutrition safeguards as a food item. They are proud to announce that it contains more iron than the real thing, and make out its a health benefit, but as I say it can be lethal if overdosed.

Reactions: JTL

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
We went through a period where the majority of scientists told us their science showed beyond doubt it was a good idea to remove the fat from food?
That turned out to be a health disaster.
We never seem to learn that when we mess and meddle with the natural world it nearly almost turns out bad.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The great floods of 1947
Sixty years ago Britain suffered floods similar to those seen this week. (The Guardian Wed 25 Jul 2007)

Britain is no world-beater when it comes to flood prevention and control, but the country has few equals in putting up memorials to great soakings of the past. Everywhere from York to Gloucester via London, notched poles mark the riversides, engraved with historic high-water levels. Prominent on them all is the date 1947, the benchmark year in living memory for every subsequent flood.
Snowmelt followed rapidly and the big rivers rose by a foot an hour.
Flood defences were pitiful by today's standards and this summer's victims, such as Gloucester and Tewkesbury, became rivers almost at once. Valleys turned into lakes in 40 counties and East Anglia's fens were a sandbagged inland sea. More than 100,000 properties were damaged - at least twice this year's toll .....

There was no internet but the sense of crisis was felt worldwide. Canada sent food parcels to stricken villages in Suffolk; the prime minister of Ontario even offered to help dish them out. Relief work in Gloucester was aided by volunteers from the Australian Red Cross.

The floods peaked after a week and took another 10 days to subside completely ....
Then, as now, saw harking back to even greater swampings. "I was in the 1915 flood and this was only a pond by comparison," a farmer called John Laws told the Ontario PM at Southery Fen. "You can't discourage a man who was born in mud."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/jul/25/weather.flooding1

The above edited complete article at link.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The extreme climate events happening in recent years are global. Often running simultaneously in different countries. Previous events, like the flooding mentioned above, or the 1975 heatwave, happened in just one country, and were isolated and rare.

I think this gets forgotten.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The extreme climate events happening in recent years are global. Often running simultaneously in different countries. Previous events, like the flooding mentioned above, or the 1975 heatwave, happened in just one country, and were isolated and rare.

They always have been global.
I provided a link to floods and it showed floods all over Europe.
Climate is global weather isn't.
One thing I am noticing is when a person has become convinced of something through the media or word of mouth etc it is near impossible to alter that conviction.
In my case I believed in man made climate change but I think it's obvious I no longer do .... I believe in climate change.
This was through debate and research on the internet.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think that may be due to modern communications and media being more active and faster to report incidents. I mean we get more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions reported now, and those are not related to man's activity as far as I know. It is also known that El Nino has significant effect on world weather, and that has a multi year cycle that repeats, Sunspot activity is also responsible for weather change, and this year is when the next cycle of reduced sunspot activity starts. It has recently been at a maximum. The sun will reduce the heat it generates for the next 7 years. It is also moving further away as our eliptical path moves slightly which again is a cyclic activity that astronomers know about. Earth should cool down a bit now.