Scared

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogance, awkward people
Absolutely agree with the comments above - testing is the number one route to understanding our condition, and the diet needed to control it.

I went through all this a year ago, and this forum educated and guided me to wellness, no drugs, nothing except a low-ish carbohydrate diet. HBA1c now 36 = 5.6%

Read, ask, and test!

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and good luck with your doc's appointment today!

And just FYI I cried on and off for two weeks when I got the call that I might be diabetic. I promise you that feeling passes as soon as you get to grips with a new way to eat - i.e. w/o carbs. It took me 2 weeks and it's so weird, I felt super empowered when I realised I could control this just by changing a few things.

Here's hoping the experience is the same for you! xxx

Reactions: Sarah82

Jorge153

A little update! Well it looks like I might off had last year and not know about it. The Dr said that by eating healthy and exercising 3 times a week will bring down my number to a normal percentage. He put me on medicine and just told me that it can be reversed if I kept up with the diet and plan I put myself on. I again I want to thank EVERYONE for all the kind words and encouragement you have put upon a total stranger that didn’t know how to deal with a life changing experience.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you’re feeling better. What medicine and what foods did he advise?

Jorge153

He prescribed Metformin once a day till next week then two times a day from then on and foods he said vegetables/lean meats ( chicken, turkey,fish,) .Which I have been doing already but now i will do more from now on. I will have another check up with blood work in 6 weeks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - I suppose the doctor got it half right - low carb vegetables and full fat meat and dairy would probably serve you better.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A little update! Well it looks like I might off had last year and not know about it. The Dr said that by eating healthy and exercising 3 times a week will bring down my number to a normal percentage. He put me on medicine and just told me that it can be reversed if I kept up with the diet and plan I put myself on. I again I want to thank EVERYONE for all the kind words and encouragement you have put upon a total stranger that didn’t know how to deal with a life changing experience.
We were all strangers not knowing how to deal with a live changing experience, once upon a time. ;) But yeah... Skip the lean stuff, or you'll be forever hungry and missing out on precious nutrients. ;)

Reactions: Ceebee2

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stick around, you're part of the family now :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He prescribed Metformin once a day till next week then two times a day from then on and foods he said vegetables/lean meats ( chicken, turkey,fish,) .Which I have been doing already but now i will do more from now on. I will have another check up with blood work in 6 weeks.
As others have said ignore the “lean” comment. See jo’s summary of how and why we eat the fat! https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
A
nd my own observations about eating and testing are in the link in red below in my signature.

Martinjd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It’s good to test test test to start with then you will soon learn which foods give a spike to your bloods, I’ve found I can’t eat any root vegetables like carrots parsnips or swede. There are some very good people on here so keep asking the questions.

And of course I can’t have my favourite anymore, Sainsbury’s jam donuts but on the bright side I have a lot more rump steaks and tuna steaks

Last edited:

Cavalier65

Hello my name is Jorge and I am 40 years old. I never thought I would be at this point in my life but here I am. I went to get my stomach checked because I had some problems and the Dr suggested I get some blood work. Yesterday at 9am the nurses calls me with the results an she says you have diabetes! I didn’t know what to say or ask! It floured me! I started to cry uncontrollably after I hung up. Man i am so scared.... I tearing up now just writing this.
Hi jorge153, am in the same boat as you, I was diagnosed a week ago now, my head is all over the place, but I have learnt a lot of this web site. My problem is food and the changes to it, there is a lot to learn but we will get there. Stay strong and safe. Vince.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s good to test test test to start with then you will soon learn which foods give a spike to your bloods, I’ve found I can’t eat any root vegetables like carrots parsnips or swede. There are some very good people on here so keep asking the questions.

And of course I can’t have my favourite anymore, Sainsbury’s jam donuts but on the bright side I have a lot more rump steaks and tuna steaks
Google keto donuts.
Google keto raspberry jam.

Jorge153

I taken the metformin for two days and I feel weird not in a bad way . Is that normal? Is the medicine doing its work? I did have a side affect of Diarrhea but the Dr said that would happen for a at least two weeks .

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I taken the metformin for two days and I feel weird not in a bad way . Is that normal? Is the medicine doing its work? I did have a side affect of Diarrhea but the Dr said that would happen for a at least two weeks .
If it lasts longer, ask for the slow release kind. Make sure you never take it on an empty stomach. Or if you've changed your diet to low carb, ask whether you can forgo the metformin altogether.

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the side effect of Diarrhea as well.

My doctor told me to double my Metformin from 500g to 1000g and of course their were side effects that he never told me about