Scared

test_positive

I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 last week. And I'm so scared. I don't have any symptoms but the leaflets they gave me have left me feeling awful. I keep bursting into tears and I don't know how to cope.
The leaflets talked about getting fit and losing weight so that I can chase after my grandchildren in the park. But I am 42 with 3 young children (6, 3 and 6 months) and I read all this and think I am not going to live to see them grow up.
I'm reading what I can on diabetes and have bought a glucose meter. My reading hardly seems to go down at night and I am desparing.
And I know it makes no difference now but I really wonder how I ended up with diabetes. I used to exercise regularly, have a BMI of 25 (borderline overweight but not large), ate reasonably healthily, didn't smoke (note this is all in the past tense because I feel like the old me has died).
And relative's reactions along the lines of "oh, is that because you've been eating too much sugar" just make me feel worse.

Why
Why
Why

brad.hornett

For a start, don't be scared, diabetes is not a disease.
You can either control it with diet changes or insulin/tablets, DONT PANIC!
Speak to your GP (not today though!) and you will be fine. :)

susanmanley

It does get better...and surprisingly quickly.....
I was where you are just a few weeks ago but with the help of the lovely people on this site and my doctor am feeling much more in control of things now

good luck and keep posting :|

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi TP and welcome to the forum :) It is quite natural to feel how you are feeling and it's a very good thing that you found your way here. We all were shocked when we were diagnosed but gradually, by staying around on this forum, you will find out that it is perfectly possible to carry on living as you would like to and fully enjoy your future grandchildren. Now that you have diabetes, you just need to make sure that you look after yourself as well as possible. And one important thing - it is not anything you did that gave you diabetes - it's not your fault. It might help you to read this post:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21894

Here is some information that we give to new members which should help you to get started. Ask all the questions you like and someone will have an answer for you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Firstly you did not get diabetes from eating too much sugar! Don't let your relatives make you feel guilty - a lot of diabetics never understand why they are picked as the 'chosen' ones! :)
It has only been a week and whilst it is brilliant to test - don't panic that the levels have not gone down straight away. Start following the advice in Daisy's post and try and cut down your carbs as much as you feel able - this includes white bread, pasta, all sugary things.
Look through this site - there are wonderful recipes, diet tips and loads of people just like you (I'm also in my 40's with 2 children, 2 cats and a hedgehog! - I have had diabetes for two years and I have every intention of living to a ripe old age!)

Stress is bad for diabetics so breathe deeply.....you can do it. :D

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Ignore your relatives and concentrate on yourself and your immediate family. You WILL be alive to see your grandchildren run around because you have the power to take control and having small children is a fantastic incentive.

Daisy's post has masses of great information and xyzzy also has a lot of useful information which he will be along with before too long.

You're not alone in this. There's loads of support here for you.

test_positive

Thank you all for your support. I'm so pleased I found this site.

I suppose I go through periods of being positive and others of feeling really down - I posted the first comment after being up with our baby for a while early in the morning and I guess everything was getting on top of me.

I know it takes time and I'm going to keep reading, asking questions, trying different things.

In a way I'm lucky because there is so much information and it is possible to take control. From what I've read, that wasn't the case years ago.

I really appreciate your comments. Very helpful. I'm feeling calmer and more positive now!

Thank you.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

No need to be scared we were all in the same place you find yourself and are still here! Before giving you my normal post saw you were only 42 and not overweight. When you were diagnosed did your doc do a Ketones test on your urine? Have you been unexpectedly losing weight prior to diagnosis? The reason I ask is that 42 is still quite young for T2 especially if you are not overweight and there maybe a chance that you have been misdiagnosed as T2 when you might be what's called LADA or Type 1.5. My nephew was diagnosed LADA last year in similar circumstances i.e. aged 42 and not overweight. Nothing to worry about if it turns out that way but the treatment is slightly different.

The low carb advise other members and myself will give you is equally valid until a final result is determined. What I would suggest is following "low carb" and then seeing if you levels begin to fall. Don't expect a miracle but look for your levels to gradually begin to fall day by day. If doing low carb has very little effect within a couple of weeks or so go back to the docs and say you do not fit the typical profile of T2 because of your weight and age and ask for a c-peptide and GAD test to be done so that LADA can be ruled out or confirmed. If you decide to take our advice and do low carb and nothing seems to get better you should tell the doc you have done that and it has had little effect on your BG levels. About 3 people in 100 who are diagnosed T2 end up as Type 1.5.

When you say your levels are high what do you mean by high? If you are regularly getting readings in the high teens and 20's then go back to the doctor straight away especially if they did discover ketones in your urine as again that is a strong indicator of LADA.

Anyway I was diagnosed in December last year and using the advice I found on this site I got my blood sugar levels back to normal within around a couple of months or so and I have also normalised my cholesterol levels and blood pressure as well. I have now lost over 3 stone in weight too. My doctor is very pleased how I am getting on and has advised me to keep doing what I have been doing since it's obviously working really well. Not a cure as I still have to be very careful what I eat but I feel loads better than I did.

Diet wise its really easy. Just drastically cut down or better cut out all things with plain sugar, so biscuits, cakes, sugar in tea and coffee, pure fruit juices, non diet versions of soft drinks. Next and really importantly try halving starchy foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals and any other flour based products. Replace what's now missing with extra meat, fish, eggs, cheese and especially vegetables. Vegetables that grow above ground are best although most of us find carrots fine. Things like yoghurt are fine as is a small amount of fresh fruit. I find the ones that end in "berry" are the best. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners things like Diet Coke are fine to drink. On the starchy foods that are left swap try brown basmati rice instead of white and brown or tri-colour pasta. The bread that most recommend is actually Bergen soya bread but some do ok with wholemeal as well.

The above diet is close to one you would be one recommended to try by the Swedish Health service. It was introduced in that country last year and the American health service and several other countries health services recommend something very similar for Type 2 diabetics. In the UK the diet guidelines are now over 30 years old and are only gradually being updated. As the UK is lagging behind you may find what I and other forum members recommend will be different to what your are told is a good diet for you follow.

See you have bought a meter and strips. Presumably you got one of the litany of excuses rolled out as to why you couldn't have one prescribed. We've heard them all from "it sends you mad" to "sine waves". What it means is "it costs us too much". Did you realise your surgery now receives £2000pa because you are registered diabetic. Perhaps they should start spending some of it on your care.

The reason testing is important is you should try and keep your blood sugars below 8ish two hours after eating any meal. Above the 8 value is where the dangers of complications do begin to occur according to diabetic experts. So if you can't test how will you now if what you are eating is keeping you safe? The problem is every diabetic is different so my earlier advice to halve starchy foods is just a rough guide. You may find you need to eat less than half (like me) or that you can eat more than half like others.

As you get into it all and read around the forum you may see people talking about carb counting. If you want to understand what that is just ask. It is a powerful weapon that a diabetic can use to control their condition and one that many of us use to great effect.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Regards

Steve

PS Here's two good links about what's good to eat.

First is the lady doctor who's low carb / low GI recommendations seem to form the basis of what's recommended in Sweden

http://blogg.passagen.se/dahlqvistannika/?anchor=my_lowcarb_dietary_programe_in

Second is a good beginners guide to low carb regimes that are excellent for reducing blood sugar levels and losing weight.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

test_positive

Thanks for all this great advice Steve.

I've already started trying various foods and seeing how I react to them with the meter. And I can see the positive effect of exercise - but I can't spend all day exercising though!

In terms of my levels, I had a HbA1c at 11.1 and fasting glucose at 11.3 and 11.1 prior to getting the meter. With the meter I got to 7.0 with lots of exercise. Overnight it went from 10.1 to 8.9. Reading that I should aim at staying below 8 after a meal is difficult to imagine how I could get there looking at my readings - I had a low carb meal yesterday and ended up at 10.1 from a start of 8.3. Then today I went from 8.9 before to 14.8 after (so I know I need to avoid bread now!)

I'm trying not to be obsessed by numbers but it's difficult.

I'll look into more info on type 1.5.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of us can't eat white or wholemeal bread. Burgen soya and linseed bread is the one to try, most supermarkets sell it. I can only manage 1 slice though! Carbs are hidden in all sorts of things so reading labels is very important, shopping now takes ages as I read the label on anything new that I fancy. It will get easier though as you learn what to eat and what to avoid, your meter is a very important tool. Sometimes you will have to avoid a food and other times you'll find that eating a smaller portion is enough to keep your levels down.

Ann

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Your levels aren't too bad compared to where some of us started so that's good! I'd try really hard on cutting down on the starch to see what happens to your levels over the next couple of weeks. To give you an idea of what "cut down" can mean for some of us ...

With me it means I can't do more than a level tablespoon of white rice (1oz or 25g) a similar amount of pasta, one and a half new potatoes or one slice of burgen soya bread in anyone go. So I really did cut down! I'm considered on the bad side of things but most newly diagnosed T2's can't do more than 3 or 4 times those amounts. I can do double the amounts of rice and pasta if they are brown so brown basmati or brown or tri coloured pasta.

I cut down to those amounts pretty quickly. My levels started in the 20's and it took me around 6 to 8 weeks even at those low levels of starch to consistently get after meal readings under 8. You may also notice your morning wake up reading will end up the highest one. That's totally natural. If it happens you will be experiencing something called the dawn phenomenon (DP). Not a lot you can do about it but gradually if you low carb it will get better as the weeks go on.

At my kind of tolerance then to be quite honest apart from my one slice of Burgen I've pretty much given up everything else starchy as it seemed pointless to continue and you soon discover there are loads of nice tastier things you can replace with especially if you look in the low carb recipes section of the forum.

It can be very difficult cutting down on the starchy foods to start with as you really can begin to crave for them. My advice would be make sure you don't get hungry and up other things like the meat and veg. The idea in all of this is to end up with a long term life style change that will keep your levels safe so what's worked out fine for me may be different for you and that's why having a meter is so important as diabetes is definitely not "one size fits all".

Just keep asking loads of questions. No one will mind as we all did that to start with.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Test after 2 hours to get a better understanding of what you can and can't eat.

monkeymutha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go back to your doctor if oyur readings stay high. See the dietician. I've been diabetic for 27 years since the age of 13. Am fine. Thoguh it can be hard work you get used to it. Don't settle for anything other than the best you can get re NHS care. FYI it is easier to be type 1 diabetic on insulin than type 2 on pills/diet. At least you've been diagnosed. Make sure you get the right treatment.