School type 1

dms100781

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 over the school holidays and we will be starting the process of sorting out a care plan with the school when they go back on Tuesday. Just wondering will it all depend on the headmistress to how well this process will go and how helpful they will be. Are the schools just expected to step up and help or do they get additional funding for her.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @dms100781 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Wow. you caught me on the hop here!
I was diagnosed at the beginning of the summer break back in 1976.
The "care package" in place back then, was in the pockets & satchel of an 8 year old. :banghead:
But, i'm still here healthy, happy, alive & married. :)

Things have (thankfully.) changed...

Going to tag in @catapillar @Juicyj @phdiabetic , @Lulu9101112 @diabeticmegxo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi my daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 over the school holidays and we will be starting the process of sorting out a care plan with the school when they go back on Tuesday. Just wondering will it all depend on the headmistress to how well this process will go and how helpful they will be. Are the schools just expected to step up and help or do they get additional funding for her.

Hi, the chances are you'll be able to get something sorted out ok, but if it get's messy, there's some case law from the Additional Support Needs Tribunal in the Julie Wyper v North Lanarkshire Council case which might help, thread about it at link below, see post #7 for links to the case report. The school was getting a bit antsy about testing the kid's bg and doing shots, so were pretty much told by the Tribunal they'd have to employ someone to assist.

It's a Scottish case, but based on the Equalities Act which is UK wide.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/difficulties-with-starting-school.125802/#post-1548604

Full judgment here:

https://www.asntscotland.gov.uk/sites/default/files/decisions/DDC 01 07 2013.doc

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the information everyone
One thing I had at school was some hypo treatment that the teachers kept aside so if I ran out I knew I could always ask them. In my primary school the dinner ladies knew and had spoken to my mum so I got a lunch which had around the same level of carbs each day making it easier to keep levels constant. I was very open about it and all my teachers knew in both primary and secondary so I would be allowed to leave the classroom to inject/measure if I needed to. The care packs are all really useful! Speak to the headmistress as well because she may also have experience with other t1s in school and already have a plan in place.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was in high school from 1995 till 2001 and had no input from anyone......being on a mixed insulin though it was very likely I was high most of the time so hypos were never an issue.....;)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

How old is she? It is better for older children to do more of their own care, but from my experience the school will still want to check up on her (one of my friends is a T1, diagnosed at age 16, and the nurse insisted on checking that she dialled up her doses right!) You should meet up with her teacher to discuss what to do if she has a severe hypo. Some schools are better at dealing with T1 than others. If she does her own doses, in your meeting with the teacher make sure she is allowed to keep her insulin with her in class and do shots whenever she needs. If she needs help to take insulin, make sure she is allowed to go to the nurse whenever she needs. It would be a good idea to ask the teacher to keep a spare meter and some food for her in the classroom in case your daughter loses or forgets hers.

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

How did the meeting go? Hope it went well and your daughter and a good first day at school with diabetes! Do you know if there are any other diabetics at her school because it would be very nice for her to talk to them since it may get hard for her being the only one with diabetes at school

dms100781

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
How did the meeting go? Hope it went well and your daughter and a good first day at school with diabetes! Do you know if there are any other diabetics at her school because it would be very nice for her to talk to them since it may get hard for her being the only one with diabetes at school
Hi

Not great at the min. She is 8 and it looks like the school have no type ones, they are coming across a bit ignorant at the min. They made out that everything will be alright because they already have a child with type two. Our Nurse rang them to arrange training and they have told her Friday before they can do any. They also rang us after the nurse had rang asking why we had not let them know she was not going into school. It is starting to worry us a bit.

Rob2112

Hi there I know this is an old post but I'm new here and we are experiencing a similar issue at school our daughter was diagnosed t1 while we where away in the 6 weeks holiday we are now a full term in and my wife still has to go up to supervise my daughters pe lessons she has only just got one member of staff to do our daughters injections after been told 3 of them had been trained the problem being she only works until 2pm and my daughter is there until 3:15pm I'm really frustrated the headmistress is absolutely useless and is just basically leaving the staff to it the diabetic nurse has given them 2 lots of training now aswell

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I know this is an old post but I'm new here and we are experiencing a similar issue at school our daughter was diagnosed t1 while we where away in the 6 weeks holiday we are now a full term in and my wife still has to go up to supervise my daughters pe lessons she has only just got one member of staff to do our daughters injections after been told 3 of them had been trained the problem being she only works until 2pm and my daughter is there until 3:15pm I'm really frustrated the headmistress is absolutely useless and is just basically leaving the staff to it the diabetic nurse has given them 2 lots of training now aswell

Hi there, you might get more replies if you start this on a new thread. How old is your daughter by the way? x

Reactions: Rob2112