Screening

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies if this is something I've missed explained on another thread.
I've just received the results of my eye screening, no retinopathy or maculopathy in either eye. Often in previous years the result has been background retinopathy, so of course I'm pleased with the result this time. What makes it improve? I would have thought that once the damage has happened, that's it.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's good news! I had a look in the textbook "Handbook of Diabetes" without much luck. The handbook is full of stuff about how and why retinopathy gets worse, and medications etc that might halt or slow progression - but as I've come to expect on other subjects there is nothing on why it might improve.

Reactions: KathrynB

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Kathryn B
We here of this happening when people post about it in the forum. It also happened to me- I had been surprised about the test result where they said I had some minor background retinopathy since I'd been in T2D remission for over a year before the retinopathy showed up.

Thus, we know it happens, but not why it happens. All I can say is that although having good Blood Glucose control is not proven to improve it - it certainly can't hurt!

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Same thing has happened to me , every year it was fine and then about ten years ago I was told I had some background retinopathy but every year since I have got the all clear .

Rachox

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out of my seven or eight eye scans I have had a couple with background retinopathy with clear ones in between. My latest one in the spring was reported as clear. I just keep my HbA1c under control and hope my eyes stay healthy.

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for your replies- I will just be very happy that my latest scan was a good result and hope for the same again next time.

• Friendly
Reactions: Rachox