1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

SD Codefree blood glucose meter

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by WHT, Jul 14, 2020.

1. WHT

WHT Type 2 · Active Member

Anyone using one of these? What results you had and are you happy with meter? Changed from a GlucoRx meter because strips cost too high. Now this meter has affordable strips but wonder if I've made a wrong turn?

2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I have used one happily for 8 and a half years. My first one lasted me 5 years, this replacement one is still going strong. Just few battery replacements needed during that time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Started out with one at the beginning but found the average readings didn't align with my HbA1c levels (Codefree too high) .
    After a long time with it I changed to a Tee2 meter from Spirit healthcare which for me appears to be far more accurate, needs less blood and although slightly more expensive to run than the Codefree still not too bad.

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/tee2

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I quite like my SD codefree meter (my spare 2nd meter). I like how it sucks my blood in in a very neat way. I think it’s quite accurate too

5. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

The relation between meter readings and A1c seem to be yet another example of the personal variability in diabetes. My meter readings with the TEE2, Codefree and recently the Navii are all lower than my A1cs. This is not due to high bgs in the night, as the only time I tried a Libre it was showing very low numbers through the night, almost hypo level.

6. Alexandra100

I've been using a Codefree for years, sometimes alternating with a TEE2 and checking one against the other. I recently profited from Home Health's offer of a free Navii meter for Codefree users, providing one bought 2 tubs of strips for the Navii. I have found that the Codefree and the TEE2 readings seem to average out about the same. Home Health claim superior accuracy for the Navii, but it does quite often seem to read lower than the other two, so I have my suspicions. Could the Navii be engineered to give nice low readings to please and retain customers? I wrote about the Navii offer here:
    Special offer from Home Health
    Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Alexandra100, Apr 16, 2020.

IMO the brands with the cheapest strips are probably no more inaccurate than others. The only meters Dr Bernstein recommends are the Freestyle ones from Abbott, but the strips are horribly expensive so I have never tried them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

8. Alexandra100

Complain to the sellers, Home Health. The first thing they will ask you is to do a test on the meter. After that, IMO they will likely send you some replacement strips. Or you could ask them to send you a free Navii meter with some strips for that. (They have been giving the new Navii meter away, I suppose to publicise it.) I haven't bought any Codefree strips lately as I am mainly using the Navii. This seems usually to read about the same as the Codefree, but on average a little lower. So far I have only had one Navii strip that was clearly faulty. That reading showed me in a deep hypo, which I obviously was not, and re-testing contradicted this finding.

Contrary to your experience, my A1cs are always way worse than my meter readings. I'm not sure which way round is the more bothersome.

9. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I use my meter mainly to tell the before and after difference for meal. I am using the same meter and batch of test strips for both readings.

Drawn blood results, especially for HbA1c results, are different from finger prick blood. I dont expect them to match up exactly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Then there is the upgrade from the Codefree to the Glucose Navii by the same company supposedly more accurate but the test strips cost about the same but you would have to buy a new meter.

I didn't find the Codefree too bad but I prefer my CareSens Dual as can test ketones with it if need be. Even though a bit more expensive.

11. Alexandra100

If you ring them they may well send you a code for a free new Navii meter, providing you buy at least 2 packs of strips at the same time as you order it. They say it is to encourage people already using the Codefree to switch. However I don't think they check whether you already have a Codefree. Last time I bought strips, those for the Navii were cheaper than those for the Codefree.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

That didn’t work for me. Last week. Purchased strips for codefree, and asked about new Navii. No offers or freebies. So I bought one for about £12. Seems accurate, or at least gives same results as codefree. Still use the Accuchek fastclic lancet device, as it is less of a faff than the Navii or codefree ones, and the sharps are contained in the cartridge.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use this meter and have done for ages , very happy with it....Codefree is a good buy

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigjim19

bigjim19 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It’s the only one I’ve ever used and still use I find the reading can be 0.3-0.6 higher than the A1cs on average don’t think we will ever get a 100% accurate meter

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JohnEGreen

There ain't no such thing as 100% accuracy it does not exist any where.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. bigjim19

That’s what I said

17. JohnEGreen

I know I was just agreeing with you.:)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alexandra100

We need an emoji for that!

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. bigjim19

how about that one

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Maybe a "shake hands" emoji thingamabobit

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook