self-harming by overeating high carb food or sugar

• Thread starter Deleted member 43917
  • Start Date

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree women are more likely to go low carb if our husbands are diabetic but I do not really think that we should expect a partner to go low carb because one of us has diabetes.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree but he can eat the rice, nan bread, popadoms etc but cook the main part of the meal low carb and then we could share.

Reactions: AwolPaul

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There are great ways to overcome eating very simply.
A curry is low carb (ish) if you make your own sauce and rather than stuffing with rice make a brilliant cauliflower rice. Blend cauli in a mixer till size of rice, put in tray, lashings of oil and meditereanean dried herbs and it is superior to any rice from a packet. Roast in oven, tirn whilst cooking.
We do this but also just eat a big bowl of just the curry.
I dont have chicken as meat doesnt travel in my stomach so hubby makes loads of sauce extra and puts it over my veg for me. I only eat of a teaplate so eat it with a teaspoon whilst he has a normal plate.
We dont have bologneses because I cant have meat or tomatoes either.
However, we both enjoy meals together with sliced courgette in philli cheese and pesto.. we make liw carb fishcakes. These have to be slightly different as I cant eat onion or red peppers.
Please dont give up. There are ways to cope.
So what if you cant eat poppadums and rice.. have more of other stuff you can. Eat it with a teaspoon and really savour what you are eating and ignore the **** he may be having..
make yourself a lovely dark chocolate and avocado mousse... he'll want some.. tell him no, its low carb you wont like it!! Lol...

Reactions: spook_kate_

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
I can't eat beans either - but when I take a heap of chicken thighs out of the cooker - with that crispy skin - or a whole chicken or joint of lamb, or see a beef mince with onion and mushroom and sweet pepper stir fry - it isn't me I feel sorry for.
Pmsl

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Sadly I am very atypical T2 and I can't eat the things I should be able to. I was normal weight for my height when diagnosed (8 and 3/4 stone) and now weigh 7 stone as the things that would put on weight I can't eat.
I'm so sorry sweetie, must be so tough on you!! Sending you happy, positive thoughts

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
@Ann 1982 You are lucky, it is also good for your husband as it will help his overall health. I worry about my husband as he has a family history of coronaries ; father died of sudden heart attack and both his brothers who are older than him have had major coronaries and almost died but he refuses to eat properly, drinks too much and won't go the Dr for a check up but I have given up now with trying to get him to act responsibly.
You can lead a horse to water but not make him drink. The stubbornness of some people can be soooo frustrating. Glad you're here and we all support you!

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@spook_kate_ Thank you. I do make my own curry sauce and have it with chicken and veg. I just get bored with it! I did buy some noodles from Holland and Barrett, they have virtually no calories or carbs so I will see what they are like.

spook_kate_

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
@spook_kate_ Thank you. I do make my own curry sauce and have it with chicken and veg. I just get bored with it! I did buy some noodles from Holland and Barrett, they have virtually no calories or carbs so I will see what they are like.
Hey, how are you doing these days? ?

Joy19752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think all of us get burnt out at times and when you say so to the diabetic medical team they look at you bemused

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@spook_kate_ I am doing better, thanks. I have stopped eating in the evening and now only have breakfast before I do the horses (6.00am) and lunch at around 12,30 to 1.00pm. As I have my coffee very strong and black (use a brand called Rocket Fuel) I decided that I would just have water and decaff green tea (ugh, horrible) after lunch time. My glucose is getting beeter in the mornings although still a bit erratic but will stick with it for a bit longer. Trouble is I can't afford to lose much weight (now 6 stone 10 lbs) but feeling OK so far. Once the glucose stabilises I will eat more calories to stabilise my weight!