Sertraline and control

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been given sertraline by my doctor as I am suffering from anxiety due various factors like the kids and my sister recently passing away. I have read the leaflet and it tells me that I may experience adverse sugar control. Before I was given them my blood sugars have been up and down for the past few month since I have my last test which my HBA1C was 50, which I was happy with.

Now that I have levels range from 5 to 17 and I am worred that my average now seems to be 9. Has anyone else experienced any issues with these drugs or anxiety pushing up there blood sugars in general.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, yes and no!
Sorry you are going through all this!
I have been on 50g sertaline for two months now and it hasn't effected my blood glucose levels, mainly because I'm in ketosis all the time. When I was initially put on serataline my bloods were in the 6s, but having got to grips again, I'm back in the 5s.
I have been given sertraline by my doctor as I am suffering from anxiety due various factors like the kids and my sister recently passing away. I have read the leaflet and it tells me that I may experience adverse sugar control. Before I was given them my blood sugars have been up and down for the past few month since I have my last test which my HBA1C was 50, which I was happy with.

Now that I have levels range from 5 to 17 and I am worred that my average now seems to be 9. Has anyone else experienced any issues with these drugs or anxiety pushing up there blood sugars in general.

The reason I was in the higher normal range was because of my anxiety disorder, it has been horrible trying to keep my blood levels in check when all my brain keeps telling me to eat rubbish.
Are you on the low carb diet?
I also fast in the morning to help with control.

How long have you been on the drug as it does take about five to six weeks to settle.

Keep safe

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have only been on them a few weeks, that is what I thought. I have got freestyle libre as well as a test to see what is happening and how long the spikes are for.

I am going to do a meal plan for the week ahead and stick to that, although I do eat low carb any how. Just thought be good to keep a diary etc etc

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, as with everything to do with mental issues, you have to be patient and not beat yourself up because something is not going to plan, with anxiety you are always questioning yourself whether you make the right decision.

A food diary is a great idea, I always recommend keeping one, mine goes back to 2012 and I can compare different meals and what effects my blood sugar levels.
You can see trends and will help with your doctors understand what is going on.
I have only been on them a few weeks, that is what I thought. I have got freestyle libre as well as a test to see what is happening and how long the spikes are for.

I am going to do a meal plan for the week ahead and stick to that, although I do eat low carb any how. Just thought be good to keep a diary etc etc

I have read that a very low carb diet can help with mood because your blood levels are in and around normal levels. It is quick fluctuating blood levels that can give you mood swings and many other symptoms because of hormonal imbalance if you have diabetes or like me have intolerance to many foods.

Keep safe

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I take 100mg sertraline plus a few other med, I found my bs levels are higher.
I find this annoying.I am well overdue for my hba1c, just had too look, last hba1c was January 2019.
Every time I called the surgery, just get told, we are behind doing blood tests