Short-term fast energy from carbs

Johosephat

Hello, I have a question I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to and wonder if this forum could help...

I'm type 2 in remission and follow a low carb diet. When diagnosed I took up running and cycling, and am about to enter some ultra distance events. Marathon, 100k walk and 100mile on bike. For these events, if I were to consume a tradition non-keto energy bar, would it work as expected? Would my body know what to do with it? Would it provide me quick energy? Would it have any undesirable side effects?

I know it will kick me out of ketosis and would accept that if it helped me complete these events.

I'm thinking Cliff bars

If anyone has tried this I'd be grateful if you could describe your experience.

Thank you.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The only possible definitive answer is that you need to try it and see.
Even if someone told you that they have good results using these bars, there would be no guarantee that it would be the same for you.
Figuring out how to fuel yourself for these events needs to be part of your training regimen

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, were I in that situation I would not turn to carbs. I would just fuel up more, but work on the timing of it. Where carbs give a quick hit, fuelled by protein and fat the energy release is slower, however, if you know you are undertaking the feat (and I imagine there would be a lead in to the event), then you need to understand when you need to feed.

There are endurance athletes who have run fasted, such as Dr Ian Lake, a long term T1, low carber on MDI insulins: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2018/08/gp-type-1-diabetes-runs-low-carb/

Ian is a very lovely guy and I'm sure he'd be happy for you to reach out to him. He has a presence on Twitter and so on.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Johosephat and HSSS

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Several well known athletes are on keto diets and explain how this works. eg Tim Tebow, Lebron James.

Reactions: Johosephat

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
from what I understand of the biology, glucose (in the form of glycogen stores) is fuel for flight or fight, i.e. quick local sources of energy and supportive of sprinters and swimmers over short distances. But the real energy needed for endurance events is fuelled by fat (i,e, lipids) hence 'second wind'. which is the body switching from glucose to fat and ketone burning. A glucose snackbar will fuel about 20 yards IMO. Remember the UK Gov sugar tax infographics with the teaspoons of sugar? And how much energy you needed to expend to couteract it?

Reactions: Johosephat

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
from what I understand of the biology, glucose (in the form of glycogen stores) is fuel for flight or fight, i.e. quick local sources of energy and supportive of sprinters and swimmers over short distances. But the real energy needed for endurance events is fuelled by fat (i,e, lipids) hence 'second wind'. which is the body switching from glucose to fat and ketone burning. A glucose snackbar will fuel about 20 yards IMO. Remember the UK Gov sugar tax infographics with the teaspoons of sugar? And how much energy you needed to expend to couteract it?
Dr David Unwin produced the sugar infographics, they can be found here:

Reactions: CJCoop

niblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you read the art and science of low carb performance by volek and phinney.? Aimed at precisely your situation
Thanks for the tip. I've been pondering the same question myself so have just ordered a copy.

Reactions: HSSS