1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Should a t1d follow a low carb diet ?

Discussion in 'Type 1 and low carb' started by rebetic, Apr 4, 2020.

1. rebetic

rebetic · Active Member

My doctor told me to eat whatever i want if im taking insulin for it but if it has high GI then i have to wait 15mins before i eat it he never said anything about a low carb or keto diet ? I’m eating what i want but im counting the carbs
    Is this ok? I feel like something isnt right

2. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A lot of T1's do not do low carb my son included he eats whatever he fancies. If he is right or wrong I have no idea

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't eat low carb and I've never been told that I should (I've seen...probably about 10 diabetes doctors and several dietitians) I know some type 1s limit their carbs and some do eat low carb.

4. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I eat moderate levels if carbs, around 120g per day and I find my glucose levels easier to control.

When I eat carb laden meals, the amount of insulin I need to control the spike, always seems to send me hypo later.

#4 urbanracer, Apr 4, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Rebetic, I'm neither T1, nor an insulin user, but as I understand matters, as a T1, you can eat whatever you want.

My take on your statement would be, provided you are confident in your carb counting, and adjusting your insulin, then if you want to eat a low carb of keto diet, then that's your choice.

From my reading, some T1s find their dosing changes a bit - not just the amounts, but the timings too for some lower carb or keto meals.

I would suggest if you do give it a go that you have plenty testing supplies, so that you can keep on top of how things are going.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I eat low carb because I do not want to become insulin resistant (double D), gain weight or have the hassle of guestimating bolus doses for larger amounts of carbs
    If you feel you are getting good control on your current regime and don't want to give up bread, pasta, rice etc. then that is your choice after all, unlike type 2, we can only ever manage our disease. Note that carbs are NOT essential though and also that diabetologists oddly do not seem to know much about nutrition and the dieticians are generally not taught to discuss the viable option of low carb for type 1.
    Finally there is a lack of clinical experience of low carb hence a reluctance to recommend it given the fear of ketoacidosis that a very low carb diet arouses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello :) low carb diet is an option for type 1. You don’t have to follow it of course but you could try if other ways are not working for you. It works very well for some and make their management easier. How many carbs do you eat a day and how do you find it ? If you are interested in trying I would say you could try around 100g a day and see how it goes ?

8. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd agree that 100g is a good place to start but in case the OP is a newbie, it should be added that they would need to adjust their bolus does to reflect the change.
    Also if you drop carbs you can swap them for above ground veg, more protein and fat to ensure you are not hungry!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

This is a personal question irrespective of diabetes type, as poor control leads to similar issues.

I think it comes down to your visceral feel about all of the evidence you may have accumulated. Do you love carbs, hate em, tolerate them or feel indifferent. I actually hate them, but, I was at the extreme end of a Type 2 diagnosis and experiencing complications. I am aware others feel differently.

10. ArtemisBow

ArtemisBow Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve always looked at it a bit like driving. If they removed all the speed limits, so you could legally drive as fast as your car would go, would you drive everywhere at 100mph? Probably not, because it wouldn’t be sensible to do so - likely to fly off the bends, unable to react to hazards etc. But you might go that fast if you were on the motorway in the dead of night with no traffic.

I take insulin to match my carbs so in theory I can eat as much as I want to. But in this reality that’s too much stress every day - higher carbs = bigger doses = higher chance of error ie more likely to crash the car. So most days I eat 100-150g of carbs, and lower GI ones. Every now and then I have a day when I’ll eat more, but there is additional mental load to go with it and I can’t be bothered to stress about it all the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I like eating low carb, as it means my insulin doses are much smaller. My work day is very erratic; my mealtimes are too - so I don't like having huge amounts of IOB as I never really know what I'm going to be doing next. I stick to a maximum of 30g a day, mostly from green vegetables - it's quite restrictive, especially as I don't eat meat or dairy, but I feel much better on it and my levels are basically those of a non-diabetic and really stable.

Diabetes is a very personal condition, we all find our own way that works for us - took me nearly 20 years to find a lifestyle that works for me :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. MarkHaZ123

MarkHaZ123 · Well-Known Member

Iv never been told to eat low carb but usually the advice is to just eat healthy as you should. With having insulin you can use that to help so it's ok whereas type 2s don't generally have insulin so need to moderate what their intake

Most days I probably have around 80-140g of carbs max but if we get a takeaway this can be alot higher depending on what we have.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook