Should I go back to my dr?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've posted a couple of threads here about worries over my toddler and generally the concensus was it was me that was overly anxious rather than anything wrong.
However I've continued to have a nagging feeling and I've just been checking fasting glucose once a week.

It has started to rise. It is now consistently in the mid to high 90s and never in the 80s.
This morning it was up at 98 and I double checked it half an hour later and without her eating anything it has risen to 120. Previously her fasting was always mid 80s.

Do I go back to the dr yet? Or just keep taking fasting once a week and wait until it's a diagnostic level.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
90mg/dL = 5.0 MmolL/l. Not diabetic, doesn't raise a concern about a diabetes diagnosis, normal fasting blood sugar.

98mg/dL = 5.4 mmol/l. Not diabetic, doesn't raise a concern about a diabetes diagnosis, normal fasting blood sugar.

120mg/dL = 6.7mmol/l. This is slightly over the normal fasting range of 6.1. But if you've not given her breakfast in order to indulge you own proxy hypochondria and she's hungry and toddling round, it's not suprising blood sugar has risen. You have, as above, already had a normal fasting blood sugar for her this morning.

I would suggest you go back to the doctor for further psych support. And stop finger pricking your perfectly healthy infant daughter. You are well aware of diabetes symptoms, if she has symptoms then test her. If she doesn't have symptoms you are sticking a needle in her finger for no good reason. If you didn't have to do it, I bet you would test your own blood sugar, it's no fun, the finger pricks hurt. Why is it ok to it to you daughter when she doesn't have to have it done? All it's doing is unnecessarily increasing your own anxiety and stabbing your poor daughters finger tips.

Reactions: Robkww and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cf53660735cfbb9dcc300e5e9a4da986.jpg

The green area is the non diabetic area the yellow the pre-diabetic , where people are told to change eating and move more the red is the diabetic area. Some do have a higher morning blood glucose but do not have diabetes because their long term average blood glucose is in the normal area

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No ive not given her breakfast because she didn't want it!
She has been offered something. It's just she wasn't interested this morning. Often she doesn't eat until about 10am.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok. I just wondered of the increase in fasting sugar was something to be concerned about. I wondered if it meant it was likely higher at other times after eating since it is already on the high side after 12 hours of fasting.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But please do notice that your worry is way out of line as there is really no basis for saying your daughter is even pre- diabetic . The better question would be ; Why do you worry so extremely much ?
It is normal to have a blood glucose that keeps raising when a child skips breakfast , this is the liver effectively compensating to send out the livers stored blood glucose instead ...
What is it about your daughter that makes you worry of her health so much isn’t she happy and playing in a fine way

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvia and debrasue

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I suffer with anxiety but to put your mind at rest, go see your gp. They know better than me.
Listen and if he/she says toddler is ok then trust your gp.
I wasn't diagnosed in 70s when should have been but medicine has come a long way since then.
Ask your gp to put your mind at rest. He will ask why your worrying.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm no expert, but in any case I thought BG levels are always higher in children than in adults? Some of the ranges being posted here seem to be adult-only.

Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am right, that is another reason to lower the level of the OP's concerns.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would your daughter not react to your worrying?
Children are perfectly aware of how their parents are feeling - if you are concerned then your child will notice and stress causes elevated blood glucose - my readings were above 10 (180) just reading the forum when someone was having a hypo on line. I am usually at 6mmol/l (about 110).

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
are your daughter behaving as if she is ill in any way or is she just happy and doing fine ..?

why do you go around measuring her blood glucose all the time...?

if you have any real reason to think she is ill, why do you at all hesitate to go to your GP and make sure she is healthy from his/her view ?

it seems to me that you are looking for her to be ill for no reason... or maybe you have not written your other reasons in here ?

it is not a normal thing that a mother for no reason goes around taking the blood glucose number of her child if she has not been ordered to do so from her GP...

could it be your own health worries have made you a bit neurotic and have created a neurotic focus on diabetes...?

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please tell you’re gp your concerns & how often you test your daughter
I’m sure they will be able to give you the help you need

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Children should be lower.

I think I'm more worried by the fact it's an upward trend than the actual level.
i cant find anything which suggests non-diabetic, or even diagnosed diabetic childrens blood glucose should be lower. Has someone told you this and worried you necessarily?

what did your doctor say when you went to see him about this?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a think, and a read of your posts on this subject. I strongly recommend you take your daughter to see your doctor, tell him of your testing, the results (clearly written out with dates, times, frequency of testing etc) and get him/her to check your daughter out.

This seems to be the only way to resolve your turmoil over this. Has your daughter seen any health care people yet about this worry?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ExtremelyW0rried

I can assure you that if your daughter has Diabetes it would be become quite obvious that something is ailing her. There is nothing to suggest Diabetes with the readings you have quoted. Only your doctor to do the necessary tests to diagnose whether your daughter has Diabetes or any other illness that needs medication.