Side effects of going on to low carb low sugar diet

Carole12

I’ve been on a low carb low sugar diet for 3 weeks now but today I felt a bit faint, lightheaded and very weak in my body…and very fatigued …I just wanted to lie down. Quite possibly my carb and sugar intake the day before was far too low for me. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Reactions: saky

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been on a low carb low sugar diet for 3 weeks now but today I felt a bit faint, lightheaded and very weak in my body…and very fatigued …I just wanted to lie down. Quite possibly my carb and sugar intake the day before was far too low for me. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?
You may just be adapting a little - what's sometimes called "keto flu". It's common if you've never low-carbed before: the body is used to much higher levels of glucose, and doesn't like the levels falling (which is what it's all about). Some people report that they feel better after topping up electrolytes.

Are you testing to find out what your blood glucose is doing and what impact the food you're eating is having?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's quite common to feel like that in the early weeks. Think of your body as a toddler who has been told "no you can't have sugar, it's bad for you" that toddler kicks, cries , shouts and screams because it wants, and doesn't understand why it's suddenly no. But as the responsible parent you have to be strong and refuse to let it have the dangerous thing. You have to distract it, or offer alternatives or make sure it's got plenty of good toys instead. Whatever, you have to remain firm, and just like a toddler you will soon forget what you were screaming for and go on to something else

Practically you may find increasing water and adding more salt to foods helps your body physically adapt. There was probably a lot of salt in what you used to eat and you need to replace that.

Stick to it, the withdrawal is usually quite short and so worth doing

Carole12

You may just be adapting a little - what's sometimes called "keto flu". It's common if you've never low-carbed before: the body is used to much higher levels of glucose, and doesn't like the levels falling (which is what it's all about). Some people report that they feel better after topping up electrolytes.

Are you testing to find out what your blood glucose is doing and what impact the food you're eating is having?
Thankyou for replying. Yes I am testing regularly to get an idea. I am finding that my blood glucose levels before and after meals are definitely dropping.

I’m around 5.2 to 5.8mmol after waking up, so still pre diabetic but I think things are improving.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're 5.2-5.8mmol/l on waking that's a normal figure, nowhere near pre-diabetic.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-4_15-33-19.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-4_15-33-19.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 218

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh wow! Nice thought…is it really possible to drop so fast (3 weeks). My HbA1c test on 19th April was 47mmol. I shall be over the moon but have to wait until October for another test.
It is - you're obviously doing something right. Your A1c (because it looks back around 3 months) won't be changing as quickly.

There isn't a direct read-across from the fingerprick tests to the A1c because they test different things and one is a snapshot while the other is a sort of weighted average. It means an accurate prediction for the next A1c isn't really possible.

That said, those are around the sort of morning figures I get and my A1c has not been above 38 for three years now. As how our bodies adjust isn't standardised, your experience, of course, may well be different.

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is fascinating. I have had next to no added sugar in what feels like a month. Zero. And my HBA1C was up in the 79's and randomly my sugar would be in the 15%, and for the last 3 weeks have felt terrible. Low Mood, body aches and fatigue. I wonder if this could be the cause too?

Carole12

This is fascinating. I have had next to no added sugar in what feels like a month. Zero. And my HBA1C was up in the 79's and randomly my sugar would be in the 15%, and for the last 3 weeks have felt terrible. Low Mood, body aches and fatigue. I wonder if this could be the cause too?
I would think it might be….I just had it for the one day and when I looked at my Nutra Check App…I’d had only 20g carbs for the day before and sugar was something like 13g!! Extremely low for me….so that doesn’t bode well for me. I know the Keto diet talk of ‘Keto flu’ for a short length of time. Could be similar.

JayNash

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would think it might be….I just had it for the one day and when I looked at my Nutra Check App…I’d had only 20g carbs for the day before and sugar was something like 13g!! Extremely low for me….so that doesn’t bode well for me. I know the Keto diet talk of ‘Keto flu’ for a short length of time. Could be similar.
Hi Carole12

How are ypu feeling now with low carb? Are you getting in plenty of Veg?
Depends on what you're eating it can take time for your body to make the glucose it needs.
If you're still having moments where you feel faint, I'd eat a little more fruit. Fructose doesn't spike insulin, so this should help stabilising you. It'll all be trial and error.
Hope this helps a little.

Carole12

Hi Carole12

How are ypu feeling now with low carb? Are you getting in plenty of Veg?
Depends on what you're eating it can take time for your body to make the glucose it needs.
If you're still having moments where you feel faint, I'd eat a little more fruit. Fructose doesn't spike insulin, so this should help stabilising you. It'll all be trial and error.
Hope this helps a little.
I’m okay now thanks…..it was just the one day but I upped the carbs and sugar a bit after that and just felt better all round.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I’m okay now thanks…..it was just the one day but I upped the carbs and sugar a bit after that and just felt better all round.
If you are low carb/keto and relying on largely unprocessed food then you probably need to add salt as well as making sure you drink enough.

Carole12

If you are low carb/keto and relying on largely unprocessed food then you probably need to add salt as well as making sure you drink enough.
Thankyou….good point. I need to get stuck in to drinking more water. Not too keen but I must give it a try.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre diabetes fasting levels are 5.5 to 6.9mmols according to Diabetes.co.uk guidelines.
OP's reported levels are 5.2-5.8. That's what you'd reasonably expect from someone with an HbA1c in normal range, or indeed someone without diabetes. My morning readings are usually around there in the mid fives region and I've not had an HbA1c higher than 38 for three years.

If someone is regularly getting morning readings towards the top end of six, then you might indeed reasonably expect a higher and possibly "pre-diabetic" HbA1c.

Main thing to remember is that the fingerprick and the A1c test different things in different ways. There's no direct read-across, but the fingerpricks (if enough, preperly timed, over a long period) can give you an indication of where an A1c is likely to be.

Reactions: saky

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also if you are cutting carbs you still need energy from somewhere. A common issue is trying to do low fat at the same time which invariably means hunger and lack of energy. Once adapted to low carb the fat can be adjusted down if it’s not needed (to use more body fat instead) but in the early weeks it’s very much needed.
And the salts needed are not just sodium but magnesium and potassium too.

Grooveyjulie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Selfish people, cruelty to animal's, and retail staff who see you in a wheelchair ♿ and will only talk to the my husband when I am asking a question or paying for something that really makes me mad
If you're 5.2-5.8mmol/l on waking that's a normal figure, nowhere near pre-diabetic.
Hello may I ask how often you are supposed to do a finger pick and what time of day and when after food, as I have just received mine and pricking every few hours, I did one this morning it was 5.4 and I have only had a slim fast shake morning and for lunch a couple of rounds of cheese spread and salad sandwiches, and a baileys drink I pricked at 9pm it was 4.2 is that OK?
I'm new to all this and what is keto please? Thank you

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ideally you test when you wake up
when you eat something you test and then test 2 hours after to ensure it doesn't spike 2 or more points.
To be honest , your numbers sound fine.

Reactions: Grooveyjulie

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello may I ask how often you are supposed to do a finger pick and what time of day and when after food, as I have just received mine and pricking every few hours, I did one this morning it was 5.4 and I have only had a slim fast shake morning and for lunch a couple of rounds of cheese spread and salad sandwiches, and a baileys drink I pricked at 9pm it was 4.2 is that OK?
OK, I'll try to do this as asked....

Fingerprick readings give you a snapshot of how things are right now - the HbA1c gives you a longer term view of how things have been over the last three months or so.

Most people do an FP test at a couple of repeatable points: first thing before eating in the morning , when you've not eaten for ~12-18 hrs; before eating, to establish a baseline; and 2 hours after eating, to see how well your system dealt with whatever carbs you ate.

The morning readings tend to be the highest; they do come down but it takes time.

Everyone's blood sugar goes up and down perfectly naturally, so don't worry about changes in themselves. Also, the meters aren't that accurate so there is not a lot of use investigating (eg) a 5.5 versus a 6.0 reading as it might be the same.

"Keto" is just a name for a very low carb diet. It's "keto" because it promotes ketosis, otherwise the normal process of using bodyfat rather than the food eaten for fuel. Normally I aim for less than 20g carb/day, which sustains my ketosis.

None of the readings you're quoting are problematic in themselves. Are you diabetic?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hello, How often to test your Blood Glucose really depends upon why you want to test it.
But in your case (pre-diabetes) I should think you want to test it to be able to reverse your pre-diabetes by jut eating a little differently - is that correct?

If so that will be based on the knowledge that all the carbohydrates you eat (both sugars and starches) turn into glucose when digested.
Thus the easiest way to get your level of Blood Glucose lower is just to eat less carbohydrate i.e. not more than your body can easily handle.
A misconception is that most people believe that dietary fat makes them fat, where th truth is that it's the carbohydrates that cause body fat much more than the Fat does (unless you eat a lot of both together.
So a fair bit less carbohydrate and a fair it more traditional) fat is the way to go.
OK , so how to test if a meal is right for your body or not:
1. Ignore the NHS EatWell, 5 a Day and 'healthy whole grain stuff. Only your Blood Glucose meter can tell you, and what it tells you is both unbiased and also specific to your particular body, because e all have different genes and different gut bacteria etc.
2. Test your Blood Glucose just before eating and then again 2hrs later (after starting eating rather than after the meal, unless its a 2hr meal).
3. If the 2nd reading is more than 2mmol higher than the 1st one, that meal had more carbohydrates tan your body likes, so reduce the carbs by either reducing the portion size (of the carbs) or substituting something with less carbs in it. For example switching breakfast from breakfast cereal and fruit juice to just eggs( boiled, fried, scrambled, omelette with cheese of mushroom) and tea/coffee with no/little sugar.

Reactions: Grooveyjulie