Silly Question About Hypo's And Fasting.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been trying IF, and that went well. You know, just skipping breakfast. But any time I try to go beyond that, and attempt to fast until dinner, I go below 4.0. It's 3.5 to 3.9 mostly, about an hour or two before the fast is to be broken. No hypo feelings, just a little tired/lethargic, but that could be due to other issues. I thought it was down to the naproxen I took, but I haven't had any in about a week. And just now I had some hypo-cookies (what I call my emergency stash), to tie me over until proper dinner. I feel like I should be panicking, but I just shrug and have a cookie. Is that weird? They should get me back to 4 or 5 in a half hour or something. Dinner tonight is about 4 to 5 grams of carb though. So I might add a little something to that. I don't use any meds, nor insulin. I'm T2, diet controlled with a current HbA1c of 34. I did see a prolongued fasting thread where people went into 3's and seemed happy with that. So now I'm confused. Should these hypo's worry me?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
People have different levels of "hypos". Plenty of people run in the 3s between meals or fasting. Our livers kick in and help us out if the body thinks it necessary. As long as you feel fine, I can't see a problem. You are not on meds and have a low HbA1c, so in reality you are no different from any non-diabetic. That is my opinion.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure you are eating at the right time for your body to be happy?
I have been out in the evenings and not bothered to eat when I got home a couple of times so I only ate once fairly early in the day, so I did not eat for 24 hours, but was not hungry and remained unconcerned until I got up next day.
I eat twice a day, usually, early and late, as the early meal counteracts my feeling hypo in the late afternoon, but it seems that the morning meal is the important one for me. Maybe continue with your fasting, but try different times to eat to see what suits you best.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People have different levels of "hypos". Plenty of people run in the 3s between meals or fasting. Our livers kick in and help us out if the body thinks it necessary. As long as you feel fine, I can't see a problem. You are not on meds and have a low HbA1c, so in reality you are no different from any non-diabetic. That is my opinion.
Okay, I hadn't looked at it like that... That's comforting, thank you.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure you are eating at the right time for your body to be happy?
I have been out in the evenings and not bothered to eat when I got home a couple of times so I only ate once fairly early in the day, so I did not eat for 24 hours, but was not hungry and remained unconcerned until I got up next day.
I eat twice a day, usually, early and late, as the early meal counteracts my feeling hypo in the late afternoon, but it seems that the morning meal is the important one for me. Maybe continue with your fasting, but try different times to eat to see what suits you best.
So far I'm fine if I just have herbal tea in the morning and break the fast at lunch. When I have breakfast and skip lunch, I don't feel very good in the afternoon. (Gnawing hunger, fatigued.) So yeah... Trial and error again, it seems. But I'm okay with experiments. :) Thanks!