1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Silly Question About Hypo's And Fasting.

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by JoKalsbeek, Jun 15, 2018.

1. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I've been trying IF, and that went well. You know, just skipping breakfast. But any time I try to go beyond that, and attempt to fast until dinner, I go below 4.0. It's 3.5 to 3.9 mostly, about an hour or two before the fast is to be broken. No hypo feelings, just a little tired/lethargic, but that could be due to other issues. I thought it was down to the naproxen I took, but I haven't had any in about a week. And just now I had some hypo-cookies (what I call my emergency stash), to tie me over until proper dinner. I feel like I should be panicking, but I just shrug and have a cookie. Is that weird? They should get me back to 4 or 5 in a half hour or something. Dinner tonight is about 4 to 5 grams of carb though. So I might add a little something to that. I don't use any meds, nor insulin. I'm T2, diet controlled with a current HbA1c of 34. I did see a prolongued fasting thread where people went into 3's and seemed happy with that. So now I'm confused. Should these hypo's worry me?

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

People have different levels of "hypos". Plenty of people run in the 3s between meals or fasting. Our livers kick in and help us out if the body thinks it necessary. As long as you feel fine, I can't see a problem. You are not on meds and have a low HbA1c, so in reality you are no different from any non-diabetic. That is my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Are you sure you are eating at the right time for your body to be happy?
    I have been out in the evenings and not bothered to eat when I got home a couple of times so I only ate once fairly early in the day, so I did not eat for 24 hours, but was not hungry and remained unconcerned until I got up next day.
    I eat twice a day, usually, early and late, as the early meal counteracts my feeling hypo in the late afternoon, but it seems that the morning meal is the important one for me. Maybe continue with your fasting, but try different times to eat to see what suits you best.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoKalsbeek

Okay, I hadn't looked at it like that... That's comforting, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoKalsbeek

So far I'm fine if I just have herbal tea in the morning and break the fast at lunch. When I have breakfast and skip lunch, I don't feel very good in the afternoon. (Gnawing hunger, fatigued.) So yeah... Trial and error again, it seems. But I'm okay with experiments. :) Thanks!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook