• Go for it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In a fit of madness I bought some Singapore noodles earlier. I wouldn't say I'm scared to eat them, more apprehensive. I used to love them. I think I might be a bit less insulin resistant than I used to be. I'll test my blood sugars before and after, but...

• Optimistic
Reactions: jjraak

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In a fit of madness I bought some Singapore noodles earlier. I wouldn't say I'm scared to eat them, more apprehensive. I used to love them. I think I might be a bit less insulin resistant than I used to be. I'll test my blood sugars before and after, but...
No one can give you permission to eat or not eat something- that’s your decision, I ticked not at all because of the reason I think you might be being tempted to eat them. I’m referring to your post about being fed up about not losing weight as you’d like. I think you may be comfort eating as this is exactly what I would do in my past - not so much now but life does get the better of me on occasion. I think you’re having a “shaved scotch egg” moment. If I was in your shoes I know if I ate them I would just feel worse not better afterwards

But you know yourself & your body best & you also have the knowledge of what it may do to your BG & how it will make YOU feel

By the way I can never see a scotch egg now without thinking of you lol

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck .

Update as & when appreciated. :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and IanBish

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one can give you permission to eat or not eat something- that’s your decision, I ticked not at all because of the reason I think you might be being tempted to eat them. I’m referring to your post about being fed up about not losing weight as you’d like. I think you may be comfort eating as this is exactly what I would do in my past - not so much now but life does get the better of me on occasion. I think you’re having a “shaved scotch egg” moment. If I was in your shoes I know if I ate them I would just feel worse not better afterwards

But you know yourself & your body best & you also have the knowledge of what it may do to your BG & how it will make YOU feel

By the way I can never see a scotch egg now without thinking of you lol
I know, but the poll was because I haven't posted one before. I know I don't need permission - I'm just a bit curious. I'll probably eat half of them. I'm just waiting until I'm hungry, which is a good sign. I don't intend to have takeaways regularly.

I still do have the occasional shaved Scotch Egg. I fact I got some for Easter. A fairly good compromise, I think... ;)

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh Singapore noodles used to be a favourite of mine but not had them for about 10 years. Although I think my body would probably cope now by producing insulin and tucking them away as body fat to stop a blood sugar rise - which seems to be what insulin does - the thought of this would stop me indulging. I prefer my indulgences and treats to be things that don't rise my bgs and need insulin to deal with. I'm also nervous of foods that may trigger my old eating habits but as @Rachox says we are all different.

Reactions: jjraak and Rachox

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be interested to hear how it went. I find my taste buds have changed considerably and things I used to like (eg baked beans) now taste awful... but that still doesn't stop me trying the odd mouthful every so often. It takes a long time to convince the brai that the body has changed... well in my case!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I knew what Singapore noodles are so I could vote. Google tells me it's a noodle dish with thin noodles, but you having bought them suggests it's something ready made.
If I were to make Singapore noodles (definition by Google) from scratch I'd simply leave out the noodles and substitute with cabbage or cauliflower or such.
That said, my neighbour invited me for dinner the day before yesterday, and I did eat a very small portion of the noodles he kindly kept separate from the stir fried veggies and shrimp so I voted for 'just have a few'.
Didn't end well, I completely mis-guessed my insulin dose, but that's off topic in your case.

I'll have low carb food for the next 5 days, and then it's my yearly family weekend in a hotel. Where they likey have croissants for breakfast...
For me, messing up my diabetes knowingly is something I allow myself every once in a while, but only two to four times a year.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I knew what Singapore noodles are so I could vote.
I should have said Singapore Chow Mein. It's like a spicy, mixed meat and prawn fried noodle dish.

The takeaway that I used to get the dish from was open, but it was full of bikes, had containers of used (black) vegetable oil on the seats, and there was nobody about to take my order. I think they're focussing on deliveries. As everywhere seems to be nowadays.

Anyway, I went to a another nearby takeaway and ordered it from there. Not my first choice, and I wasn't hungry, but thought I would be soon. But I wasn't hungry for a few hours, so I had about three quarters of it. I tested my blood before eating (4.1) but was in bed before the two hours was up, so didn't test again, sorry.

It was okay, but not as nice as I remember. I'll try it again (from a takeaway without containers of old, oxidised oil hanging around) and make sure to test both before and after, or while wearing a CGM.

I should have listened to the poll results!

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77 and jjraak