skiing

andybeet

Been a life long skier but not since diagnosed T1 last year. Pumping now but wondering how to ski safe? without for example freezing the infusion lines? etc?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Not a skier or a pumper........however I found this on another Forum. Might be useful

I skied for the first time with my pump on monday.
I wore mine in its nylon case on a a nylon navy style belt underneath all of my clothing. I was also concerned about it being warm, and providing it with a bit of padding should I wipeout. I also taped a safety loop in the tubing should the belt somehow come detached.
It seemec to work quite well. Everything stayed warm and worked well. No problems with high speed wipeouts here on New Englands glorious packed powder(ICE) conditions either.
The only other thing that I did was to raise the level of the low glucose alarm for the CGMS by 10 in order to give me a heads up a little sooner.
It all seemed to work out fine for me, but YMMV.

Ken

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've skied in the Pyrenees and the Massif Central (so not very high/cold), I wear my pump with the tubing next to my skin and the pump in a leather case clipped to my waistband. I've had no problems (though on one day my meter did get too cold this year and I couldn't test unti I warmed it up)
There is an Olympic 50k xcountry skier who skis with a pump.

sugar2

Well, as a girl, I would just carry the pump in my bra, with a very short infusion line that didn't move too far from my body..so it kept nice and warm!

If bra's don't feature in your wardrobe, then those band things, that attache the pump to your middle would be just as good?

i would also run my basal at a reduced rate, to cope with the exercise.

Take an insulin pen as back up too!

then enjoy! Very jealous.
:evil: