1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Skin not so good

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Steph001, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Steph001

Steph001 · Active Member

I’ve only been doing the LCHF for a week and I have a few red spots in my face which is quite unusual for me. Has anyone else had this? Could it be from transitioning to this new way of eating? I ate a LOT of carbs before. I’m prediabetic and therefore not on medication. Both parents are type 2. Thank you!!

2. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

From what I understand, if you switched your diet to suddely include a lot more dairy, it could cause acne flare-ups... If you've started on a lot of milk/cheese/cream, maybe cut down again a little?

• Like Like x 1
  3. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Or it’s possible that similar to after a facial the clear out of “junk” from your system has caused the flare up as it exits your body.

I’d watch closely but not worry too much yet if it were me. Early days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a link to what www.dietdoctor.com says about acne and low carb/keto.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/benefits/acne

this is a quote from about half way down the page:
    • Give the diet some time: Paradoxically, some people report a worsening of acne shortly after starting a keto or low-carb diet. However, this appears to be short-lived and may be part of the keto-adapatation process. Overall, breakouts seem to improve with carb restriction long term in the vast majority of people.

• Like Like x 2
  5. APR

APR Prediabetes · Active Member

Hello @Steph001 - I had the WORST spots/breakouts for 5-6 MONTHS after going full-on grain- and sugar-free. Huge red spots would just appear on my cheeks - seemingly out of nowhere. If that wasn't enough at the same time I also had extreme hives (Keto Rash? possibly dermatitis herpetiformis?). But now, apart from the rash on the knuckle of one finger (I'm likely still coming into contact with gluten somewhere) my skin has cleared up. Like you I was pre-diabetic and unmedicated. Hold on, this will likely pass once your body has adjusted. Good luck.

6. Steph001

Steph001 · Active Member

Thank you all. Really helpful

7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

My skin is now really good - but then it has been for most of my life - however in the months after diagnosis I had bits dropping out of my pores, mostly hard and quite small but a few surprising lumps. I had been eating a low fat high carb diet for almost two years before diagnosis - to 'lower cholesterol'. I would scratch at a itch and hear something hit the hard floor in the bathroom - most disconcerting. After the first summer, though, it stopped - presumably normality was regained.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steph001

Steph001 · Active Member

Wow! Well done for sticking to it after all that time!! Do you feel better are your bloods better? Thank you!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook