Type 2 Sleeping (how Many Hours Did You Sleep Last Night?)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Awake all night but I did have a couple of hours sleep yesterday afternoon...

Robbity

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
My eyes are tired sore today, so, no where near enough.... too much broken sleep.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8 hours again. Woke briefly when hubby got up to go to the loo but went straight back to sleep again. :)

Reactions: Prem51

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
23:30 till 03:05 when we got a call from the community alarm saying MiL not responding.... went round and she was fine... took sometime to get back to sleep and up at 05:45.. half shut knife...
Fasting slightly up...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand I wish i was you. Actually i slept about 5 hours last nite, that's a real win for me.:playful:
It's taken me 20+ years to get to this point.

My sleep problems started when my 2nd child woke me one night with what I can only describe as his 'death cry' He was 5 months old. He sounded like a wounded animal giving up on life. I ran to his cot and picked him up, he was cold and still, yet the bed covers were on him (not covering his face). I screamed to wake my husband and said 'I don't know what to do, he's dead'. In my panic I dropped him about 8 inches onto our bed. That was the best thing I could have done, the force of the drop kick started his heart again and my husband noticed his left hand move a little. I sat up with him in our bed for the 4 hours till morning. We put 2 hot water bottles next to him and I had him tucked inside my pj top so he could warm naturally. Finally at 6 am he woke and had a short feed. His temp which had been below 90 deg F crept slowly back up.

I took him to the GP next day. She refused to believe me that he had died. She said he was just in a deep sleep and I should have left him alone. It was my 2nd child, I really did know the difference between a sleeping baby and one that wasn't breathing anymore! She refused to give me an alarm in case it happened again.

So for a couple of weeks I set my alarm clock every hour so I could check on my babe. After that I woke naturally every hour, on the hour without an alarm. Often I would just sit by him and think how wonderful it was that he was breathing.

Every time I heard of cot death cases where the parents were blamed and accused because they found the baby cold I screamed at the TV.....'but they get cold first, then they die!'

A few years later my dentist had the exact same thing happen with her son, but she was a professional and her doc listened to her and gave her an alarm. She was disgusted when I told her that I wasn't helped at all.

After months of waking up constantly my body began to suffer. My hormones were upset. I put on weight. I caught infections often. When the danger of cot death was over other worries crept in to stop me sleeping.

Oh this posted missing out the last bit...more to come

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to really work on not getting up and often lay in bed awake for hours. Then I found I woke frequently for the loo when I didn't really need to, so I just lay in bed trying to train myself not to wake. Now I don't often wake, not even for the loo, and usually sleep 8 hours, but it really has been a long haul to get back to a decent sleep pattern.

I don't regret messing up my health to check on my son. I would do it all over again, but I do get upset when people look at me and think I am fat because I am lazy.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had to really work on not getting up and often lay in bed awake for hours. Then I found I woke frequently for the loo when I didn't really need to, so I just lay in bed trying to train myself not to wake. Now I don't often wake, not even for the loo, and usually sleep 8 hours, but it really has been a long haul to get back to a decent sleep pattern.

I don't regret messing up my health to check on my son. I would do it all over again, but I do get upset when people look at me and think I am fat because I am lazy.
Shame on them.
It is disgusting when a Dr (even in 1970s, for me) disregards your health complaint or in your case, your babies. They were a disgrace really. Dr's have learned from those mistakes, well most have.

Little one woke us all up twice last night. He is so unsettled due to new classroom and new routine expected from him. He is happy with different toys though.
Poor thing. I wish i could do more but it has to be done every year.
Last year it took him 8mths to settle. I hope far far less this time and he has bonus of his old nursery teacher being his teacher again.
Once he sleeps we will sleep better too. He screams the house down. Maybe even neighbours too?

M

Moggely

It's taken me 20+ years to get to this point.

My sleep problems started when my 2nd child woke me one night with what I can only describe as his 'death cry' He was 5 months old. He sounded like a wounded animal giving up on life. I ran to his cot and picked him up, he was cold and still, yet the bed covers were on him (not covering his face). I screamed to wake my husband and said 'I don't know what to do, he's dead'. In my panic I dropped him about 8 inches onto our bed. That was the best thing I could have done, the force of the drop kick started his heart again and my husband noticed his left hand move a little. I sat up with him in our bed for the 4 hours till morning. We put 2 hot water bottles next to him and I had him tucked inside my pj top so he could warm naturally. Finally at 6 am he woke and had a short feed. His temp which had been below 90 deg F crept slowly back up.

I took him to the GP next day. She refused to believe me that he had died. She said he was just in a deep sleep and I should have left him alone. It was my 2nd child, I really did know the difference between a sleeping baby and one that wasn't breathing anymore! She refused to give me an alarm in case it happened again.

So for a couple of weeks I set my alarm clock every hour so I could check on my babe. After that I woke naturally every hour, on the hour without an alarm. Often I would just sit by him and think how wonderful it was that he was breathing.

Every time I heard of cot death cases where the parents were blamed and accused because they found the baby cold I screamed at the TV.....'but they get cold first, then they die!'

A few years later my dentist had the exact same thing happen with her son, but she was a professional and her doc listened to her and gave her an alarm. She was disgusted when I told her that I wasn't helped at all.

After months of waking up constantly my body began to suffer. My hormones were upset. I put on weight. I caught infections often. When the danger of cot death was over other worries crept in to stop me sleeping.

Oh this posted missing out the last bit...more to come
oH @zand How very scary and horrible for you i am so sorry:(. It's no wonder you could never sleep. Thank God you still have your child and sanity after that.

M

Moggely

@zand how can people see you like that without even knowing what your life is all about. Isn't it sad we can't see other peoples suffering, we wouldn't be so quick to judge anyone. Such is humanity and so weak of many of us. I commend you on your strength, as for those that call you fat or lazy, surely it is not worth having them in your life.

M

Moggely

Shame on them.
It is disgusting when a Dr (even in 1970s, for me) disregards your health complaint or in your case, your babies. They were a disgrace really. Dr's have learned from those mistakes, well most have.

Little one woke us all up twice last night. He is so unsettled due to new classroom and new routine expected from him. He is happy with different toys though.
Poor thing. I wish i could do more but it has to be done every year.
Last year it took him 8mths to settle. I hope far far less this time and he has bonus of his old nursery teacher being his teacher again.
Once he sleeps we will sleep better too. He screams the house down. Maybe even neighbours too?
@ickihun Well put it this way to heck with the neighbors is all i can say. Oh and do they have children?. If so, are they perfect. Kids will be kids and i had 6 of them and wouldn't change a thing. So don't you worry about them your kids are your pride and joy.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@zand you are an inspiration.
I commend you for turning things around. Most would have crumbled. You are one tough cookie! ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun Well put it this way to heck with the neighbors is all i can say. Oh and do they have children?. If so, are they perfect. Kids will be kids and i had 6 of them and wouldn't change a thing. So don't you worry about them your kids are your pride and joy.
Thanks @Moggely :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, last night was interesting! :D

Thanks to my trusty sleep app, I can say that I had a mere 6 hours sleep and was rather restless.

Now, up until discovering Magnesium Oil I would have considered 6 hours sleep to be better than average, but after the last few weeks (of 7-8 hrs a night) it was an unpleasant reminder of what sleep deprivation is like. Have felt grotty all day.

But the length of sleep is less interesting to me than the amount of reslessness, AND the high heart rate. My beats per minute is usually in the 50s when asleep, so something had me all fired up and antsy - and I know EXACTLY what it was.
:(
Too much Hotel Chocolat dark chocolate puddles during the evening. Caffeine in choc, and other stimulants.
:(
In the pics below, the vertical white lines show how fidgety and restless I was all night.

Sorry about the size of the pics. They are HUGE! Haven't yet worked out how to shrink them down a bit without making them too small to see.

and then this pic shows how jangly my heart rate was (allowing for innaccuracies due to limitations of technology, of course ;))

The only manual entry I make to the app is me hitting a tick box in the morning to tell it whether i feel whether I am completely, somewhat or not at all rested. The rest is all the result of its own readings.

Last edited:
Reactions: hankjam

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went to bed at 10pm last night and fell asleep quickly, woke at 5.40am this morning, so 7 hrs 40 mins sleep, about usual for me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About 4 hours good solid sleep last night, but I'd made up for my previous wakeful night by spending most of yesterday snoozing on and off...

Robbity

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
8 hours as usual. Woke very briefly to go to the loo. The more exercise I do during the day the better I sleep!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
About 4 last night for me but feel OK... for now.
Out walking this afternoon (about a mile).

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
However, since retirement I do have the luxury of focussing on my own health. I really sympathize with those dealing with children, stressful jobs etc as well as a health condition.