Sliding scale help please!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh crikey. This should have been discussed before now!

Normally you would just carry on with your pump for an op of less than 4 hours.

If you are going to be awake then they should allow pump and if necessary for you to increase basals on a tbr... If you are in a position (lol) to do that.

Are they aware that your insulin is a quick acting one in your pump? And not a long acting insulin. Sounds like they need educating.

You must tell them its a short acting insulin that will be out of your body totally within 5 hours of turning pump off.

You should not really be having both running but should be attached to a glucose drip.

If they are insistent then at least with sliding scale they can stop it.

I had a fight with staff about sliding scale for my mastectomy but I was on MDI.... They gave me more insulin when I told them I was going low!!

Reactions: 3 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooooh @claire1991 no advice to offer from Snapsy (child-free, no experience of sliding scale) but I did just want to say all the VERY very best with it all - take care - and I hope this is a fantastic and wonderfully positive experience!

:):happy::)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooooh @claire1991 no advice to offer from Snapsy (child-free, no experience of sliding scale) but I did just want to say all the VERY very best with it all - take care - and I hope this is a fantastic and wonderfully positive experience!

:):happy::)
Thank you!
The midwives are on high labour alert tonight!
Fingers crossed it hangs in there until next week

Reactions: 4 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No sliding scale, woohoo!
I managed to persuade them that I didn't need one and they're happy to let me continue with my pump unless it goes really really high so I'm happy.

Reactions: 6 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Steroids cause high bg my backside! Been hypo most of the night and have had to reduce my insulin.

In other news they think I may be in early labour!
Been having back ache which moves around to the front and feels like a mixture of period pain and upset stomach. Haven't been to sleep all night because it's been keeping me awake and has got stronger as time has gone on.

Currently on a monitor and it's all showing up on there so it's not in my head!

I've got to wait for the doctor to come round in the morning and may have my date moved forward.

Fingers crossed!

xxx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
better get my ugly mug in here too this morning:D -- really excited for you -- i feel like I'm nearly there in the waiting room
you've had a right hoo haa getting the pump stuff sorted out :eek:
hope you're cool:cool:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@claire1991 Get yourself in that labour frame of mind just in case!

I'm glad they listened to you about the sliding scale :) If you keep going low, get that Lucozade beside you! You're your own expert so have faith in your ability :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys!
Let's hope this is it, I don't really want to have to come home tomorrow if it's starting, my OH is on nights next week. Will let you know what the doctor says
I insisted about the sliding scale in the end, the more I thought about it the more I thought it was wrong having both so I gave the midwives a bit of a pump lesson and they understood in the end. Success!!

xxx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How's it going @claire1991 ? x
No change. Still waiting for the doctor and still getting the same twinges and things but not much worse than before.
If I haven't seen the doctor by lunch time then they're going to give me some food.
There's hardly any doctors because of it being a weekend. Pretty rubbish really!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh and I bet you just can not wait to get a bit of hospital food down you!

Still thinking of you xx
thank you!
Any food will do! I had hospital food last night and it was rank. The size of the plate wasn't even adult side and that was the last thing I've eaten. Pretty starving now!

xxx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's exciting @claire1991! How are u getting on?

I'm a bit late as I see it's all sorted, but when I was on sliding scale it was instead of my injections, but I was only on it over night and didn't eat anything till after my section when j came off the sliding scale and back to normal injections!

Being on the sliding scale wasn't my fave... Pumping a pregnant woman full of fluid... Must have peed about 200 times that night... But I was pregnant and angry because getting out of bed was like a beached whale doing sit ups had to ring the bell got help! So it may have just been 10 times I was up!!

Hope things start to pick up for u! Keep us posted X X X

Last edited by a moderator:

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haha I know the feeling!!

Tightenings are getting stronger and are being shown on the graph. I'm still waiting for the doctor to see me so I'll know what's going on then.

I'm happy that I've finally had some food!

xxx

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
Its so exciting claire! Make sure they feed you hun, i had complications with 1st cos they left me 24hrs without food. Good luck will be anxiously following thread xx

Reactions: 2 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its so exciting claire! Make sure they feed you hun, i had complications with 1st cos they left me 24hrs without food. Good luck will be anxiously following thread xx
Update!!

I have eaten and feel better.

Contractions are still coming and are 5 mins apart but not intense although they are gradually getting stronger and have been gaining intensity for almost 24 hours, although it wasn't until about 12 hours ago when I realised what it was!

I've seen the doctor and she wants to sit tight and wait as long as we can before we bring the CS forward but she doubts I'll make it past Tuesday the way things are progressing so all things good!

Will let you all know once I know anymore.

xxx

Reactions: 5 people