Slimming World

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Hey

So I feel really alienated when type ones&pumpers talk about diets. I am doing slimming world and when it comes down to it that is a pretty high carb diet. Your pastas, rices and potatoes are free along with many of your fruits that would require insulin. Fat is something the plan tries to erase so the whole low carb high fat thing really goes out of the window. I am losing weight on this platform and carb count to balance everything out

(I'm not losing weight because I need to but because my DR won't refer me for a breast reduction until I fit into her bmi stat... I won't fit into that until I literally need custom made bras because my back size is tiny and breasts are large and heavy.)

My hba1c is good. My bgs are good. I feel full, I lose weight and I feel energized. I've always backed what works for you on this forum but it does feel that there are a lot of voices drowning out those who still eat their carbs and such. Not every diabetic is the same and it is not right to shame those who balance better with carbs, especially given so many were raised on carb based diets. A system can't change overnight.

So two things I guess. On the one hand can people lay off those who are not doing low carb high cat and on the other....anyone else doing slimming world or similar?

Reactions: lcarter

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@endocrinegremlin This forum supports people whatever diet they choose :) Sometimes there's a lot of low carb info and chat around, but if you look at the Type 1 section you'll see a few threads where people talk about how many carbs they eat and it's always more than you'd assume. Trust me, there are plenty of Type 1s eating good amounts of carbs :)

I've never done Slimming World but if it's working for you, then keep going - and well done :)

Reactions: Rosieroo

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am type2 and before I was diagnosed 2 years ago, I tried slimming world. I ended up putting weight on, for which I was paying 5 pounds a week to just be weighed to find out I had put weight on.
Since I started going to my surgery to be weighed once a month, I have lost weight.
I Don, t mind admitting this now, but at my heaviest weighed 24 stone and wore a size 32 for clothes. Now I weigh 16 st 8lb and in a size 24, which is a bit big for me but a size 22 is too tight

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1 bit of a typo there! I really hope you don't weight 1st. 8lbs. :p

@endocrinegremlin well done for finding a diet that suits you, but it is worth remembering the majorit of the talk on here about LCHF is for the benefit of Type 2's. Those of us not on insulin, and especially those of us not on any medication only have diet to help us control matters. We can't eat many carbs and need the fats to balance out the energy requirements. Thats why you here so much about it. Type 2 is a different ball game.

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
@ally1 bit of a typo there! I really hope you don't weight 1st. 8lbs. :p

@endocrinegremlin well done for finding a diet that suits you, but it is worth remembering the majorit of the talk on here about LCHF is for the benefit of Type 2's. Those of us not on insulin, and especially those of us not on any medication only have diet to help us control matters. We can't eat many carbs and need the fats to balance out the energy requirements. Thats why you here so much about it. Type 2 is a different ball game.
Hi bluetit, lol at the mistake that I made being 1st 8lb. Am now 16stt 8lb
I realised my mistake and went and edited my post to now say 16st 8lb

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey

So I feel really alienated when type ones&pumpers talk about diets. I am doing slimming world and when it comes down to it that is a pretty high carb diet. Your pastas, rices and potatoes are free along with many of your fruits that would require insulin. Fat is something the plan tries to erase so the whole low carb high fat thing really goes out of the window. I am losing weight on this platform and carb count to balance everything out

(I'm not losing weight because I need to but because my DR won't refer me for a breast reduction until I fit into her bmi stat... I won't fit into that until I literally need custom made bras because my back size is tiny and breasts are large and heavy.)

My hba1c is good. My bgs are good. I feel full, I lose weight and I feel energized. I've always backed what works for you on this forum but it does feel that there are a lot of voices drowning out those who still eat their carbs and such. Not every diabetic is the same and it is not right to shame those who balance better with carbs, especially given so many were raised on carb based diets. A system can't change overnight.

So two things I guess. On the one hand can people lay off those who are not doing low carb high cat and on the other....anyone else doing slimming world or similar?

I'm not T1, and I don't eat many carbs, but one thing I will say is that as I trimmed up, post diagnosis, my one voluminous bosoms get a lot smaller. Curiously enough I was having (another) clear out of my undies drawer a couple of days ago. I was clearing out the last of the 34GGs and replacing them with the 32Ds.

Suffice to say, this wasn't a one-size, one-step process. I didn't lose, or need to lose masses of weight when diagnosed, but I sure as heck know where at least some of it went from! Perhaps as the benefits of SW start taking effect for you, you might see some positive impacts on your lady bumps, making the transition less drastic.