Slippers and footwear for diabetics

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
I am newly diagnosed and my doctor's advice having landed the diagnosis on me, was 'join diabetes website, they'll tell you all you need to know about your condition and wear shoes and slippers with good thick, soft soles'. So, having got over the shock of the diagnosis (T2) I have joined the site and am so glad it exists and have learnt so much in just 3 hours of reading. My question to the forum is where can I get good slippers with a "good thick, soft sole"? I usually buy slippers for around £6-8 from supermarkets and they do not last long (from the comfort point of view), so any help would be appreciated.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Jennieb, I have never bought or worn special diabetes socks, slippers or shoes. At the moment I wear moccasins. If you wanted to, you could Google and find out what's available.
Good luck, I hope you can find what you're looking for.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it is important to protect your feet that little bit extra -- but just wearing socks and shoes while out and decent slippers ( I pay about £8 off the market ) should keep you safe. they last me about 8-12 months

The doctor could have been referring to the general population that sometimes go barefoot as the benchmark.

You don't need to spend £30 on a pair of slippers

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you manage your blood sugar well over the coming years you don't need to worry about any of these specific 'diabetic' things. There are, sadly, many who ignore their condition or who do all the wrong things and their feet etc become more vulnerable. I just use standard M&S slippers currently.

Reactions: 2 people