Slow and steady wins the race Walking and Footy!

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hi guys I thought i should post here as I have posted in lots of areas but as a lover of sport this is the most appropriate place to share. I have been fortunate enough to have continued playing 5 a side soccer till today at he ge of almost 59. I played 11 a side in the local district league till I was 50. Quite exceptional really didn't see many of my mates play beyond 30 . I then started playing 5 a side football just to stay "trim". Failed the trim bit but carried on playing. It was a bit of delusion really because it was just fun and if you got tired you just went in goal, although I have always been competitive. Anyway fast forward to diagnosis 2 months ago. Apart from footy I hardly walked anywhere and never went to the gym. First week after diagnosis and a changed regime of no sugar, no sports drinks and LCHF diet I played the worst I have ever done. As if I had never kicked a ball in my life. My ambition of playing till I was 60 looked a long way away. 2nd week had loads of energy, couldn't stop running, lads aged between 16 and 30 asked if I was taking drugs or something, As weeks have progressed my 9th week since DX I played an 1 hour and 20 minutes without going into goal for a rest and competed and last 15 minutes went up front and scored 4 goals. So what I had been attributing to old age was more attributable to my diet and lack of exercise. I couldn' even walk 200 meters without pain in my shins, my lower back, so each day I have a routine which i have built on. Each day stamina has increased breathing is easier and I am now up to 3 plus miles including jogging and sprinting. I use S Health on Android to measure my steps and how much I have walked and run run. I have lost weight every week and my BS levels are now at non-diabetic levels most of the time.

upload_2014-12-23_14-1-22.png