Smoking

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today I gave up smoking 5 years ago, and it was the best decision I had ever made. Not only because my overall health improved (Asthmatic) but saved money too. I dread to think now if I still smoked how it would effect me! so now my lungs are clear of the horrible tar that collects there, after a recent chest x ray I was told that my lung function has massively improved. I'd hate to think that how would my diabetes be if I did continue to smoke? you hear of such stories of people losing limbs because of smoking whilst being diabetic. If anyone on this board is thinking of giving up smoking, I highly recommend it, you don't half feel better for it!

raydavies

I agree - best thing I ever did apart from meeting my wife! And, it's not as hard as some believe, in fact, easier than losing weight. You have to make a conscious effort to obtain tobacco. If you don't buy it, you can't smoke it!

Whereas, every time you go to the fridge you're faced with temptation!

Ray

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nice one Kay!

Having lost both my father and father-in-law to smoke related cancer, I would advise anyone who smokes to quit.

Nigel

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks guys, I lost an Aunt and Grandfather to lung cancer and it's a horrible disease that takes a life quickly. I think now I am the worst non smoker EVER, I hate it with a passion, even the smell turns my stomach :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kay957 said:
Thanks guys, I lost an Aunt and Grandfather to lung cancer and it's a horrible disease that takes a life quickly. I think now I am the worst non smoker EVER, I hate it with a passion, even the smell turns my stomach :?

Oh, don't go there..............................................................! :x

I too hate the smell with a vengeance. I thought the best thing this present government did was to introduce the smoking ban. Beforehand, I use to hate going out for meals and have to sit in a pub/resturant where there was a smokey atmosphere, even sitting in the non-smoking areas the smell would drift through. When my children were younger, I would never take them anywhere smokey, and refused to let anyone smoke over them.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone here, but as Kay says, when you loose someone dear to you from smoking, it does make you hate the habit even more than before.

Nigel

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Nigel,
Yes it seems we sing form the same song sheet so to speak :lol: I also loved the fact that smoking became a banned activity in pubs and restaurants, but now I have to endure smokers outside blowing smoke in my face as I walked about the town shopping. I swear last week I had a packet of 20 walking between Marks and Sparks and BHS :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
After all the stress that I have had to endure over the past few months due to one thing and another I have found a new side effect to my anti Cancer treatment........After 40 years smoke free I now treat myself to a Cigar on some evenings. Totally relaxing and yes I know all about the risks associated with smoking. I am old enough and big enough to make up my own mind about it. I enjoy it !

I too was an avid anti smoker who has now become one of the 'unclean' brigade ! I now see it from the other side of the fence again. I don't think walking down a street is going to get you overdosing on Nicotine, more like diesel fumes maybe from all the buses and trucks, which have carcinogenic properties.

Me, I'll stick with a Cigar any day....... :D

Ken

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Well done on giving up in the first place :D I hate cigarettes with a vengeance :twisted:

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I gave up 6 years ago, and am very pleased that I was able to - willpower is not something I have much of. Went through a terrible anti-smoking phase for a while, now it doesn't really bother me at all. But I don't want to encourage too many people to kick the habit, as nearly 10% of the NHS budget is sourced from tobacco tax, yet only 2% of same budget accounts for treating smoking-related ailments.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
After all the stress that I have had to endure over the past few months due to one thing and another I have found a new side effect to my anti Cancer treatment........After 40 years smoke free I now treat myself to a Cigar on some evenings. Totally relaxing and yes I know all about the risks associated with smoking. I am old enough and big enough to make up my own mind about it. I enjoy it !

I too was an avid anti smoker who has now become one of the 'unclean' brigade ! I now see it from the other side of the fence again. I don't think walking down a street is going to get you overdosing on Nicotine, more like diesel fumes maybe from all the buses and trucks, which have carcinogenic properties.

Me, I'll stick with a Cigar any day....... :D

Ken

Well that's understandable Ken! I would imagine that a lot of ex-smokers will go back to smoking in times of great stress.

Despite what I have written here, I do like the smell of cigar and pipe tabacco, but only a small whiff. My dad was told to stop smoking by his gp when I was a teenager, as someone who smoked Woodbine cigarettes throughout his life without filters on the end, it was hard for him to give-up. So, as it was near his birthday, I suugested that I should buy him a pipe to replace the cigs, my dads doctor said it was less harmful than cigarettes. After about 3 months he was back on the Woodbines and the rest is history, later in his life, despite giving up 6 years previous, he got lung cancer and sadly died.

I do remember those 3 months of pipe smoke with mixed memories, some of the baccy he tried were flavoured, and would give off a nice smell, but after a while it did become overpowering.

Nigel

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
On the 29th of September 2010 It will be 18 years since I have given up smoking a fact of which I am extremely happy. It wasnt easy in the fact that you do go through terrible cravings so I congratulate everyone who does. The one thing I loathe is when standing at a bus stop or walking and you take a gulp of smoke filled air totally disgusting and I always move and its not worth making a fuss as I saw one woman do and the reaction she got from the smoker was horrible and totally uncalled for. :oops: :x :shock:

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
My last roll up was at 3.30pm on the 29th March 2008, just before I went to the local hospital for an ECG.
Was then rushed into the main hospital with heart attack and have never smoked since.

Congrats to us all for a job well done