smoking

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thats hugely less.. Is that with vapes on top or just that reduced qty??

That is significantly reduced.
Are you exchanging the ciggies for food??

Reactions: 5 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ally 1, keep going! I was a 60 a day smoker for years, and really needed to stop. I bought an ecig (vape) kit and knew I'd have to switch completely - I've tried weaning myself off cigs gradually before and failed. So I just made the decision that from the next day on I would only use the ecig - one day at a time I told myself. It was still difficult, an ecig is never going to be quite as satisfying as a real cig, and I was using the lowest nicotine I could get so I did still have some withdrawal symptoms, but one day became a week, became 2 weeks, and so on - 4 years now. I don't think I would have managed to quit without the ecig. I know we're all different, but I do think you have to be determined to just use the ecig - everyone I know that uses both is still using both years on.

Good luck, you can do it!

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @ally1 - How you doing? Today I smoked a cigarette, that's my first since Monday - my friend visited today and she is a 'walking chimney' - smelling smoke off her made me have one.

Reactions: 4 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck Liam and Ally....keep going you are doing really. Think how many cigs you smoked last week compared to this! A huge step in the right direction

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Liam and Ally
It'll get easier... Please if you think it would help ask your GPs for help....
Just from someone that is currently suffering the most disgusting problems from breast cancer... Please, please do vapes etc....
The NHS have failed me big time with cancer care and you can not rely on NHS to sort out cancer... I have had the most dire care and now formalising complaints... Not easy when still so, so ill.

Please get any support you can to get off the weed.....

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi @ally1 - How you doing? Today I smoked a cigarette, that's my first since Monday - my friend visited today and she is a 'walking chimney' - smelling smoke off her made me have one.
I have smoked a few over the last couple of days. Must try harder

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Liam and Ally
It'll get easier... Please if you think it would help ask your GPs for help....
Just from someone that is currently suffering the most disgusting problems from breast cancer... Please, please do vapes etc....
The NHS have failed me big time with cancer care and you can not rely on NHS to sort out cancer... I have had the most dire care and now formalising complaints... Not easy when still so, so ill.

Please get any support you can to get off the weed.....
am trying my best but had a few. On Wednesday, I, m going to see the nurse for some help

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@ally1 - But you have done fantastic to say it's just - over a week? I am out with my (female) friend on Tuesday and she is a ciggie every 10 minutes!!! When I go out I make sure that I have 3 or 4 ciggies in a pack AND I take my vape everywhere now. I ate a lot of sugar free mints for a couple of months, but then they contain sorbitol (laxative effect). I am sure the nurse will give you help. Keep us updated.:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good for you Ally. I personally think that with anything in life... Good support can help so much... And a good nurse is a good support.

Lloyds chemist used to do good support counselling on a one to one basis.. Don't know if they still do it though.

Support is hugely important Ally. Did you get a vape or e cig to help? Cutting down is also a huge step to do...

Reactions: 8 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you Liam. I,m smoking 40 a day and just cannot afford to smoke that much

Well i'm starting Monday Ally so we can do this together .I'm the same as you 40 a day for the last 40 years .Got to be done for financial reasons and health reasons .

Reactions: 8 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@ally1 ...I am out with my (female) friend on Tuesday and she is a ciggie every 10 minutes!!!
Where are you going? To stand in a field? I quit at the smoking ban here in 2006 and now wonder how people manage to shoehorn so many into their day as there is hardly anywhere you are allowed to smoke if you go out :confused:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We tend to sit in her car and she smokes in between going from one shop to the next.

P

paula.nolan42

Hi Ally, Hi Liam

You guys are doing great, you are to be congratulated for your hard work. Of course there are going to harder days than others, let's face it there's going to be terrible moments on longing and temptation. But you are taking control of your smoking with a view to stopping, your smoking addiction (and it is addiction) it's kicking and screaming to be in control of you. In the moments when I crave a smoke, I tell myself I can have it later, and later, and later and later never comes.

Don't beat yourselves up to much for the ciggies you do have, just keep trying to reduce, or maybe just have one drag, coz sometimes all we need is one drag.

My thoughts are with you, be strong, be brave, you can do it.

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You got your blood sugars down afterr a b****y long fight. This is easy by comparison

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1 - Some once said, "for every setback, there's a bigger comeback". I try to think about that when I'm struggling to get somewhere, do something even understand something.

You'll get there. You've demonstrated you can stick at things with your diabetes, so maybe of you think back to then you can think of some of the coping mechanisms you developed to help you reduce your carbs. Some of those - maybe keeping yourself more occupied, or going for a walk around the block, or whatever, might be helpful when you want a ciggie.

I've never smoked, so never had to give up, so I can't offer you any personal experience.

You'll get there.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
@ally1 - Some once said, "for every setback, there's a bigger comeback". I try to think about that when I'm struggling to get somewhere, do something even understand something.

You'll get there. You've demonstrated you can stick at things with your diabetes, so maybe of you think back to then you can think of some of the coping mechanisms you developed to help you reduce your carbs. Some of those - maybe keeping yourself more occupied, or going for a walk around the block, or whatever, might be helpful when you want a ciggie.

I've never smoked, so never had to give up, so I can't offer you any personal experience.

You'll get there.
I am determined to stop, am going to the stop smoking office on Wednesday for support. As my brother said, it's mind over matter

Reactions: 10 people