smoking

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You'll do it Ally....

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Had half a cigarette, normally by now, I would have had 7

Reactions: 8 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Last Thursday I smoked 1 cigarette - nothing since. And I have cancelled my day out with friend tomorrow due to being 'not too good'.

Reactions: 6 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi ally1, I smoked since I was 22yrs and that was started due to others around me smoking and someone offered me one and that was it. I have tried lots and lots of times over the years no luck. Then in 2002 we bought a new bungalow and my husband said we should try and give up smoking mainly due to the money it was costing both of us to smoke as the price of cigarettes was on the rise then. I succeeded my husband didn't. This is how I did it, I went to Fresh Focus [ a quit smoking group] I had patches went to 3 sessions and quit. When they told me what was in the cigarettes horrified me, the cigarette companies are very clever the put a bit of alchol in which is addictive but what got to all of us there was also in cigarettes is Foraldehyde [Embalming Fluid] This sounds stupid but I used to call the patches my friends every time I put a patch on I would tap the patch and say come on don't let me down, sounds silly I know but it worked. I also put the money I would spend on cigarettes every day into a tin, at the end of the month I would treat myself. It was hard 2 days into giving up my son came back from abroad and brought me 200 cigarettes, I said I had given up 2 days ago, he said mum you will never give up, guess what I said leave those cigarettes there until I see you in 2 weeks time , he, did they were still there. Over the years I have had so much stress my husband had a really bad road traffic accident left him disabled. Waiting outside intensive care unit I was offered a cigarette from my daughter but resisted, I knew if I had just one then that would be it. Over the next 4 years of caring for my husband I never gave in. Then my son got killed in a road traffic accident he was 36 yrs old and left 3 children his wife was pregnant and he never got see his daughter, but I still did not give in. Just to say my husband had to give up after his accident as he was in hospital so long he had no choice. Sorry this is a long story but if I can do it I know you can.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well done to both of you. @amgrundy... What a story to give... Support is hugely important to any person with any addictive habit.

It's tough but so worth it... Keep going....

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hey - That's good @ally1 - you are doing great. 10 out of 10 Well Done.:)

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yep, two is definitely better than 40!!!

Anything in particular that made you want those two? Ie getting up? Cuppa?? After meal?