Smoothie recipes

Mrkmtchll2512

Just a quick question? I'm after some smoothie recipes for type 2 diabetics , so I can use as my breakfast to take my Metformin with. I have 2 sprocker spaniels and if I try eat they won't eat their own food, but a drink don't bother them.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not all fruit (or veg) is suitable for type 2s as they contain various amounts of sugar, then mush it up in a smoothie and it’s absorbed too quickly which will more than likely cause a spike in blood sugar. I avoid all smoothies. Could you feed the dogs then have a ‘solid’ breakfast after wards?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you eat out of view of your dogs? Or as @Rachox suggests after they’ve eaten? If you don’t feed them from your plate what would they do once your finished would they eventually eat their own food? Dogs won’t starve themselves

There are some keto smoothies on the internet if you google but they require some prep which personally I couldn’t be bothered with lol. What would you normally have for your breakfast?

If you’re low carb and it’s just to take your meds with a couple of slices of ham spread with cream cheese & rolled should be enough for the meds. Or an omelette filled and sliced.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you don't suffer any side effects, then you needn't take them with food. Taking with food merely minimises the chance of side effects. It is not a requirement.

Reactions: Mrkmtchll2512

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only have coffee in the morning and don’t eat anything until lunchtime. I take my Metformin at 8am and don’t suffer any ill effects.

Mrkmtchll2512

Thank you very much to everyone who has responded to my question, it's a mind field, my mum is diabetic and takes Metformin and insulin, but she doesn't have smoothies or anything and not allowed honey either, but thanks again for all your help and advice, and re my dogs they are not allowed any of our food just their own essential dog food I buy dry kibble £68 a bag for working dogs. I don't allow them anything else treats I take from their daily allowance. , I didn't know could take without food either because of the diabetic nurse saying take with food, I'm learning all the time, I was expecting this to be honest as genetic in my family and my sleep apnoea, but I'm trying to get my head around it all, i.e what to eat what not to eat. And see what works etc. because I've been told at this stage I don't need to start finger pricking etc to rest my blood it's hard to judge, just know I'm type 2 diabetic, I'm thirsty, toilet all the time, but fatigue etc but that could be a couple of things my diabetes or my sleep apnoea. Sorry for being long winded. Thanks again all a

• Friendly
Reactions: lovinglife

mouseee

I'd get a bg monitor. They might say you don't need it but how else can you see how your bg is doing when eating different things?
They are some cheap one around, mine cost £20 with some strips from Tesco.
We're advised to take metformin with food to counteract gastro side effects. I did for thr first month or so and now just take them with my other meds in the morning and evening.
Genes are very annoying! It was inevitable in my family that T2 would end up at my door too!

Reactions: LivingLightly

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
cucumber+celery+lemon juice+ mineral water (if without water, then about 4 carbohydrates per 100g)

or cucumber +parsley + kefir +garlic+salt (about 6 carbohydrates per 100g)

• Useful
Reactions: Antje77

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @Mrkmtchll2512.

I too have a strong family history of type 2 diabetes. I'm a metformin user and over the years I've been supplied with different brands. Regardless of manufacturer, the patient information leaflet enclosed with the packet instructs users to take the tablet(s) either with or after meals for maximum efficacy, so in this instance, I agree with your nurse.

That said, I disagree about the need for home testing. The nurse has her reasons, the NHS has a limited budget for one, but I'd invest in a blood glucose monitor, if I were you.

Mrkmtchll2512

@LivingLightly I have a blood glucose test device, it's a contour next one, I was given it for free by assensia with a few strips and Lancets, this was before I was diagnosed type 2 was when I was pre diabetes, so I will just find out the strips and Lancets to buy myself so can check my levels. But not go overboard in testing because can become paranoid I think if over do it.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd really reacommend fingerprick testing before and +2hrs aftermeals. That will show you very clearly how well your system dealt with whatever carbs were in the food you ate. You're looking for the second reading to be no more than 2mmol/l different to the first, and not above 7.8 (8.5 if you take advantage of the T2 allowance). With that information, you can make informed decisions about the food you eat knowing the likely impact on your BG.

@Rachox has a current list of meters available in the UK - Rachox, can you oblige please?

When my diabetic symptoms started in 2010 or so I put a lot of weight on in a short time and developed sleep apnoea pretty quickly - I think I started CPAP in 2012. I stopped using the CPAP about two years ago (which reminds me, I need to give the machine back to the sleep clinic) because I no longer have the condition - no interrupted sleep. I put that down to the weight loss that followed on from getting my BG under control in 2020.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @KennyA , @Mrkmtchll2512 , here’s some info with links for UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

The strips are to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)