Snacks and smoothies

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been eating so much recently. I can't really stop eating Chocolate. I have to have some every day. Please could someone suggest a diabetic alternative. I am type 1 diabetic. Also I'm going to start making smoothies. Does anyone know any recipes for diabetic smoothies?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you could change to Raw chokolate nips They are still High in carbs But without added Real sugar

Reactions: Abby's

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What amounts and type of chocolate are you having...?

I would say its ok to have some and probably best as part of main meal....

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat 100% chocolate made by Montezuma. Sainsburys sell it. It is an acquired taste, a bit like getting to like espresso when you like cappuchino but I now love it and it is very low carb (8g per 100g). Its called Absolutely black. My daughter in law said it doesn't taste like chocolate. Of course it tastes exactly like chocolate but it doesn't taste like sugar!!
Give it a go - it will take a few weeks to get used to it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Smoothies with avacado and veggies like romaine, spinach, celery. Then hot peppers and lemon/ lime juice.

I snack on guacamole with celery or nuts. A tiny bit of dark choco after dinner. Too much and it fast turns into a gorge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have been eating so much recently. I can't really stop eating Chocolate. I have to have some every day. Please could someone suggest a diabetic alternative. I am type 1 diabetic. Also I'm going to start making smoothies. Does anyone know any recipes for diabetic smoothies?

Both Aldi & Lidl do a high cocoa chocolate that is lower in carbs than normal chocolate, the brand name in Aldi is Moser Roth and the one in Lidl is JD Gross, the 70-85% cocoa content ones are quite nice and not too bitter, Lidl's Ecuador 70% Caramel chocolate is exceptionally nice and comes in at around 5g of carbs per square (the squares are rather large mind).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might need to adjust for the fact that a smoothie delivers its carbs very fast, as the components are mechanically broken down and so there's no digestion time required.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You might need to adjust for the fact that a smoothie delivers its carbs very fast, as the components are mechanically broken down and so there's no digestion time required.
I really want to try an avocado smoothie but this is exactly what worries me. It's not like I don't like just scooping it out of the skin and eating it. I can smash other things into it and eat it in top of lettuce or with celery chunks. Less clean up too.
It just seemed it a different way to eat the same food haha.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people, liars, and untrustworthy people.

Low-Sugar Strawberry Smoothie
Author: Carleen
Recipe type: Smoothies
Cuisine: Fruit and Vegetable Smoothies

Serves: 1 Smoothie (16 fl oz)

A strawberry smoothie with less than 10 grams of sugar.
Ingredients
  • 8 fl oz unsweetened soy milk
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 5 medium strawberries
  • ¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • ⅓ cup cooked oats (cooled)
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 stevia packet

Instructions
  1. Combine all of the ingredients into the Nutribullet cup.
  2. Pour in the unsweetened soy milk to the max fill line.
  3. Blend together until smooth and consistent.

Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 Smoothie (16 fl oz) Calories: 350 Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 1g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 42g Sugar: 9g Sodium: 235mg Fiber: 14g Protein: 22g Cholesterol: 0mg

<><><><><><>

Herbed Tropical Fruits & Oils Smoothie
Author: Carleen
Recipe type: Smoothie
Cuisine: Low Calorie Smoothies, Low Carb Smoothies

Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins

Serves: 1

This is a low calorie and a low carb smoothie that contains huge amounts of Vitamins A, C and K!
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
  • ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
  • 1 medium rib celery, chopped
  • ½ cup frozen organic mango
  • 1 cup organic kale, ribs and stems removed)
  • Coconut Milk or Coconut Water to fill line

Instructions
  1. Add all ingredients to your large nutribullet cup, saving water for last.
  2. Once you have filled the cup with water to the fill line, puree ingredients to desired consistency.

Nutrition Information
Serving size: 18 oz Calories: 219 Fat: 14 g Saturated fat: 12 g Carbohydrates: 24 g Sugar: 13 g Sodium: 73 mg Fiber: 4 g Protein: 4 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking of Chocolate:

Without my glasses things are kind of blurry. This morning I was lucky: the little black spots on my desk were crumbs of chocolate and not little dead bugs. Or maybe they were little bugs that tasted like chocolate. Don't ask don't tell.
Lol!!!! Been there done that but with pumpkin seeds

How about avocado and veggies blended with herbs and spices like cilantro or basil, onion, red pepper flakes, lemon or lime squeeze? Thin with water or some nondairy milk
Very bs friendly and would most likely squelch any sweet cravings.

Reactions: lisasimpkins53

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a flicker of interest when I saw low sugar - ah - but the carbs are huge. Oh well. No reason to make a smoothie and then have to miss three meals.
I did try a smoothie which had a lettuce as a starting point, and then seeded grapes, which seem to be good if you break down the seeds - it is the inside you want, so no need to keep on blending until the seed husks break down, just get the insides out as they seem to help. A small amount of melon was the final ingredient, and it was good.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a homemade recipe I love that works for weight maintenance as it's low carb but very high calorie.

I have one every day, sometimes two if I lose a 1lb or two.

Tastes great too.

Avocado
Handful of mixed nuts
Peanut butter
A few berries
Double cream
Greek yogurt
Some water to make it runnier.

All thrown in Nutribullet for 30 seconds.

Sustains me all day but more importantly doesn't raise glucose more than a fraction.