Snacks to eat

Tashaprince

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya, was diagnosed today and although most of my family has diabetes I've never really paid attention to what they eat so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of snacks to buy? I never used to be a big eater but have had a massive appetite lately and just looking for a few snack ideas.
Many thanks x

Reactions: Freema

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Chicken or cold meats, these are virtually zero carbs. Greek salads with olives, feta and sun dried tomatoes. Make your own wilth sticks of celery filled with peanut butter. Ryvita with duck pate (some pates are a bit high in carbs so check the labels) or with soft cheese. A FEW grapes or some raspberries or strawberries. Low carb coleslaw - make your own.

Dave

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People recommended pork scratchings when I was starting out.
I used to think that was the most disgusting food, but I persevered, and it is an acquired taste. Very low carb too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Half a bag of prepared salad and a tin of tuna, add olive oil and wine vinegar dressing - chopped tomato and stick of celery - takes two minutes to prepare and should stop feeling hungry dead in its tracks. There is also the steak, onions, mushrooms and sweet pepper option - the steak can be taken whole or as mince. Takes a bit longer but sooo worth the wait, though you do need to use a large frying pan to cook them all together for the best effect.
The Lidl protein rolls are good - add cream cheese or meat or a low carb pate - though a quarter pounder and onion rings are also an option. Frozen prawns thawed in the microwave work well too, dry on kitchen towel

Reactions: Tashaprince

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh, @Resurgam , those look like hearty snacks!

@Tashaprince - I rarely snack, but if I do need something, I'll have some pork scratchings, or a few nuts or a piece of cheese.

It could be useful for us to understand the sorts of foods you enjoy, so that any ideas might be along those lines?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Peperami, cheese, olives, Lidl and Aldi do little bars of dark chocolate which is my after dinner treat tonight with a low carb homemade baileys.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
More like entire meals for me, to be honest - but if hungry - eat. As long as there's no huge amount of carbs there, and you don't need to spend an hour in the kitchen - eat. It is what your body needs - enjoy.

Reactions: Tashaprince

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Peperami, cheese, olives, Lidl and Aldi do little bars of dark chocolate which is my after dinner treat tonight with a low carb homemade baileys.
PLEASE - pretty please @Alison Campbell - can you share your low carb home made Baileys recipe - it is one of my sinful pleasures - though I buy the Aldi O'Donnells version (pretty sure they sell this in the UK too) and to be honest, I think I now prefer that to the original - having bought a bottle of the real stuff duty free recently. Would love to try making it myself

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 371625

Today I had a small peach, 30g of goats cheese, and a few peanuts (175Cal / 7.9g Carbs), probably a bit too carby if you are a very low carb person, but fine for those like myself with a carb budget of 100-120g/day (still officially low carb).

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am going to tag @daisy1 for you. She will send out some very good basic information to you on diabetes and diet.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PLEASE - pretty please

There a loads of good recipes on google but the one I got from this site is easy for one person and no heating. Cream, Jamesons, 1 tsp dark cocoa powder and 2tsp of Waldram Farms no cal caramel syrup

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PLEASE - pretty please @Alison Campbell - can you share your low carb home made Baileys recipe - it is one of my sinful pleasures - though I buy the Aldi O'Donnells version (pretty sure they sell this in the UK too) and to be honest, I think I now prefer that to the original - having bought a bottle of the real stuff duty free recently. Would love to try making it myself

Thanks in advance

I only recently fund this site, and noticed this lady does a Keto Baileys. I have no idea what it's like as it has always been waaaaay too sweet for me.

http://queenketo.com/keto-sugar-free-low-carb-baileys-irish-coffee/

Alison's may be different. Dr Google returns loads of them

Reactions: Alison Campbell

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I only recently fund this site, and noticed this lady does a Keto Baileys. I have no idea what it's like as it has always been waaaaay too sweet for me.

http://queenketo.com/keto-sugar-free-low-carb-baileys-irish-coffee/

Alison's may be different. Dr Google returns loads of them

Thanks for the link @AndBreathe - looks interesting - though her recipe is actually for a hot Baileys flavour Irish Coffee - will probably wait a month or two till it gets cooler down in this neck of the woods before I give it a try. Not sure about chocolate flavoured liquid stevia as an ingredient though - up in UK/Europe you seem to have a lot more specialty products available than we do here - though maybe I just need to look harder

Hope @Alison Campbell will share though - nothing like a personal recommendation from a fellow imbiber!!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There a loads of good recipes on google but the one I got from this site is easy for one person and no heating. Cream, Jamesons, 1 tsp dark cocoa powder and 2tsp of Waldram Farms no cal caramel syrup

That's weird, here you go