So...... another food to add to the forbidden list then!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well this probably isn't a shocker but every now and then I get a craving for crisps. So I had a pack. 20 mins later 7.6. 20 minutes after that 9. No more smokey bacon crisps then. Not feeling too great. Dinner not out of oven. Hba1c due tomorrow! Serves me right!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I can't eat smoky bacon crisps eithero_O everyone should have a little treat now and then. Hope you enjoyed your dinner.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sad, I know, but they are made from potatoes after all so I suppose high readings must be expected.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
What about half a pack, followed by a little walk. I found little occasionally all ok. Blood sugars will rise in a non diabetic immediately after eating.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you keep testing to see 1 hour or 2hr level? Why were you testing at 20 and 40 minutes? I'm not criticising, just interested. I would like to bet many non diabetics would do that but be back to normal soon after.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oooohhhh! crisps....I love crisps......(with wine and a chick flick?);)

edit: OMG....did I really just say I wanted to see a chick flick? Yay, does that mean I'm normal?:)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you keep testing to see 1 hour or 2hr level? Why were you testing at 20 and 40 minutes? I'm not criticising, just interested. I would like to bet many non diabetics would do that but be back to normal soon after.
20 minutes later 6.2.
I quite often do it with something which I know is naughty. It helps me resist! I don't like to go beyond 7.5 so I generally avoid anything which does that to me. I also felt funny pretty immediately and even worse after 40 minutes. Am really sensitive when bs goes above 7.5 .

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, I know this sounds weird, but I accidentally found a healthy alternative to crisps.
I had cooked kale to go with a roast dinner, and the ungrateful gits aka my grown up offspring were late getting here. Left the food in a warm oven, and the kale had dried out. I had seasoned it with salt and pepper, and as I hate waste I made them eat it. They started to fight over who was getting seconds. I won the fight coz I enjoyed the crispy taste. They were crunchy and tasted similar to crisps. @Scandichic I think I will add a bit of crispy bacon next time. Crisps a la Scandi and Pipp

Reactions: 9 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ok, I know this sounds weird, but I accidentally found a healthy alternative to crisps.
I had cooked kale to go with a roast dinner, and the ungrateful gits aka my grown up offspring were late getting here. Left the food in a warm oven, and the kale had dried out. I had seasoned it with salt and pepper, and as I hate waste I made them eat it. They started to fight over who was getting seconds. I won the fight coz I enjoyed the crispy taste. They were crunchy and tasted similar to crisps. @Scandichic I think I will add a bit of crispy bacon next time. Crisps a la Scandi and Pipp
Well I'm always happy to try something new!
Let me know how it goes! X

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What about half a pack, followed by a little walk. I found little occasionally all ok. Blood sugars will rise in a non diabetic immediately after eating.

I may get away with a handful but wouldn't be keen for a whole packet even if it was a short spike.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sad, I know, but they are made from potatoes after all so I suppose high readings must be expected.
Ironically chips have a spike of 8-8.5 for me but am not overly keen on potatoes. Rice, pasta and bread are no nos. it was silly really.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not too bad a rise, only 1.4 If you were between 4~5 before you ate them you would of had a good reading after.

Forgot to take bs at around this time of day am usually 5.5 so 7.6 to 9 to 6.2 after hour. Probably not a good idea. Just really fancied them.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having done quite a bit of testing lately, (continually!) I believe a rise of under 2.0 after 2 hours is about fine. You should return to what you were or less depending what and how much you ate.
I discovered that jam rose mine above 3.0 this morning, that's off the menu now! Drat!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having done quite a bit of testing lately, (continually!) I believe a rise of under 2.0 after 2 hours is about fine. You should return to what you were or less depending what and how much you ate.
I discovered that jam rose mine above 3.0 this morning, that's off the menu now! Drat!

I would agree with that in general, but a spike of 2 isn't good if you are high before you eat. I aim to keep my spikes about 2.5mmol or under but only if I start with a normal reading. I aim to stay under 7.8 at all times after eating. Doesn't always work, sadly.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I seem to be able to manage a small portion of nachos together with an otherwise low carb Mexican meal but I'd be wary of them on their own. And not crisps either. Shame but that is our lot now.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would agree with that in general, but a spike of 2 isn't good if you are high before you eat. I aim to keep my spikes about 2.5mmol or under but only if I start with a normal reading. I aim to stay under 7.8 at all times after eating. Doesn't always work, sadly.
Yes I agree, if you knew before, you would think twice about too many carbs & sugars in your meal.
The problem I have is adjusting the size of my meals. I'm not a great cook and can only cope with so much in the kitchen. It has to be simple like cooking salads!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kale crisps are lovely.

Put very roughly chopped kale in a bowl, add some very finely chopped onion (optional), a drizzle of oil and a teasp of curry paste (could use spices or herbs of choice, instead). Salt.
Mix gently with hands till all the kale is oiled and spiced.

Spread kale on baking tray and bake very slowly, on lowest oven setting, until crisp. Usually several hours.

Enjoy.

(If you have a dehydrator, they take about 24 hours.)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do Kale chips at 150 degrees for 15 mins.
Laced with garlic and tobasco they're simply top.
Remove the stalks though.
Not that far removed from 'seaweed' at the Chinese restaurant really.

Reactions: 4 people