1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

So confused

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Kirstyuk, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Kirstyuk

Kirstyuk · Active Member

Had discoloured toes. Sugars was very high. Saw gp got
    Sent for bloods. Bloods came back to be told
    Type one diabetes got worse. Change your insulin which I already have. Well do you smoke nope. Well could be your diet. Like wow! And more bloods in aug then.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Sorry to hear that @Kirstyuk :(

A good sign of health in your feet is hairs growing as it indicates good blood circulation.

What insulins are you using ? How do manage with your control and are you happy doing adjustments yourself with your ratios etc ?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kirstyuk

Kirstyuk · Active Member

Thanks. I’m on novoraipd and lantus for 30years been on the same ones. Yeah I managed to get my levels down. Just not any help from gp. He more fussed if I smoked which I said no. And diet. Which I always been the same really with diet. And oh I send you for more bloods in aug

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

A lot of GPs are pretty clueless on T1, unfortunately. Is there a DN you could talk to attached to your local hospital clinic? As regards high sugars, other causes than expired insulin can be
    1) overused injection sites
    2) infection
    3) need to change to a different brand of basal insulin

Are your toes still discoloured? Painful? Loss of feeling? Are you having to keep higher levels of insulin to maintain normal blood sugars?

So sorry this is happening to you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

GPs are generally not able to help much with control. For me the first 15 years of having T1 was easy, probably because I was still making some of my own insulin. Control then became increasingly difficult, and the problem crept up on me. GPs were never helpful and when HBA1c got up to 8% I realised that I would have to take charge. I basically had to figure it all out for myself and since then have been telling the GP what needs to be prescribed.

You may have to do the same thing. Start with testing your basal and doing what it takes to get good cover over The 24 hour cycle. After doing that, dealing with bolusing is much easier. I have switched to ketogenic eating, which removes most of the bolusing requirement, making staying good control really easy.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook