So how long should it take sweets to get you out of hypoland if you've previously been snacking?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, I'm just curious as to how long sweet should take to get you out of hypoland (was at 3.9 so technically only just a hypo), if ten minutes earlier you'd been snacking on a hard boiled egg, or cheese or ham - as other stuff like fat or protein may slow it down.

Yes I tend to snack with eggs, cheese or ham quite often as I'm always feeling hungry.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Annoyingly longer than you want! As you say the previous snack could well slow down absorption - so I guess maybe keeping glucotabs in your mouth longer might get quicker results..........?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Annoyingly longer than you want! As you say the previous snack could well slow down absorption - so I guess maybe keeping glucotabs in your mouth longer might get quicker results..........?

As it happened it didn't actually take too long, but given it was only just under 4 I wasn't that concerned about it being faster than fast.
Maybe the sweets overtook the egg on the way through :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
..........and a bit later the protein and the fat will kick in and you'll be wondering why your lunchtime jab is having little to no affect :playful:

anthill

Well you do need to get out of HypoLand as fast as possible!!!
Orange Juice, is Fast. Honey is also. Gluco Tabs would be more practicable as they can last more than an Orange.
I love Chocolate as they are not just Delicious but it's not as fast that we would like to be to get out of Hypoland.

Reactions: mike@work

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well you do need to get out of HypoLand as fast as possible!!!
Orange Juice, is Fast. Honey is also. Gluco Tabs would be more practicable as they can last more than an Orange.
I love Chocolate as they are not just Delicious but it's not as fast that we would like to be to get out of Hypoland.

Sorry to say, but I disagree with you about honey - at least for me it works quite slowly.

So, I'm just curious as to how long sweet should take to get you out of hypoland (was at 3.9 so technically only just a hypo), if ten minutes earlier you'd been snacking on a hard boiled egg, or cheese or ham - as other stuff like fat or protein may slow it down.

Yes I tend to snack with eggs, cheese or ham quite often as I'm always feeling hungry.

I agree with @slip .
Only possible exception is maybe, if you take your sugar in liquid form.
In your case @Rokaab , it could very well have been, that the cheese and egg didn't have enough time to put the brakes on yet...meaning you are probably right about the turtle and hare...:)

Last edited: