Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made TWO batches of jelly!

Wonder what would happen if I froze it?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Reactions: 6 people

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
I love my jelly treat, my wife makes the sugar free one and it's only 16 calories or less for half a packet which makes a nice dessert bowl full

The one I like the best is the lime one (no product plug but the maker has the same name as a hare on a tv show from the early 70s called Pipkins)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I love my jelly treat, my wife makes the sugar free one and it's only 16 calories or less for half a packet which makes a nice dessert bowl full

The one I like the best is the lime one (no product plug but the marker has the same name as a hare on a tv show from the early 70s called Pipkins)
I bought one of the twin sachets of Hartley's lemon and lime today, I have never tried it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:wideyed::wacky::happy::hungry::woot:

Morrisons do an own brand jelly (tiny sachets) sweetened with Sucralose, in:
Strawberry
Raspberry
Lemon and lime
and...

drumroll...

Cola

Yes folks, that cola jelly!
:p
And it's surprisingly good!

ooh... Is that a herd of stampeding diabetics I hear, charging down to their local Morrisons? ;)

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
:wideyed::wacky::happy::hungry::woot:

Morrisons do an own brand jelly (tiny sachets) sweetened with Sucralose, in:
Strawberry
Raspberry
Lemon and lime
and...

drumroll...

Cola

Yes folks, that cola jelly!
:p
And it's surprisingly good!

ooh... Is that a herd of stampeding diabetics I hear, charging down to their local Morrisons? ;)
I want some and I want it now

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want some and I want it now

We don't have any left, or you could have some of ours.

Actually, that is a lie. If we had some, I wouldn't share, and I might stab you with my BG monitor lancet thingy, if you tried to take some.

I'm good like that.

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still haven't' found any jelly without aspartame, I am going to have to travel further afield in search of it.:(

sarahlou72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Loving the jelly talk.

Has anyone tried using agar?

I couldn't get enough of this at a Chinese buffet I used to go to.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OMG OMG OMG. Read all ten pages of this thread and it's put me off ever eating jelly again. Bits of ground up pig junk, seaweed, sachets of additive laden powders, wobbly slimy horribly sweet gunk completely detracting from all that deliciously sumptuous luxurious organic cream.

In this household we have a dairy shelf in the fridge for organic soured cream, creme fraiche, clotted cream, double cream, live natural yogurt, live natural Greek-style sheep's milk yogurt, Mozzarella, Feta, mature Cheddar, Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, Wensleydale, Halloumi, Cornish Brie etc The hard cheese belongs to husband, the soft stuff to me.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG OMG OMG. Read all ten pages of this thread and it's put me off ever eating jelly again. Bits of ground up pig junk, seaweed, sachets of additive laden powders, wobbly slimy horribly sweet gunk completely detracting from all that deliciously sumptuous luxurious organic cream.

In this household we have a dairy shelf in the fridge for organic soured cream, creme fraiche, clotted cream, double cream, live natural yogurt, live natural Greek-style sheep's milk yogurt, Mozzarella, Feta, mature Cheddar, Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, Wensleydale, Halloumi, Cornish Brie etc The hard cheese belongs to husband, the soft stuff to me.

I have never like jelly myself, not even as a child, but I fully understand why others on this forum eat it. I'm pleased for you and your family that you have a shelf in your fridge for organic dairy, if that is your thing, but not everyone can afford nor want such things. Life would be very boring if we were all the same.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Gosh, that's a nice, balanced, supportive post to our sweet-toothed friends. No value judgements in there at all.

[/ irony off ]

I don't have a particularly sweet tooth myself, but when I want something sweet, a sugar-free jelly is one option I would consider. Let's face it, it has to be better than lots of the options available, particularly in the early days when it can be hard to get the old grey matter around alternative flours or giving up virtually all fruits in other options. I don't expect my quality of life, or life expectancy to be diminished as a result.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

So anyway in the real world where being/going organic is way out of range of our pocket/purse, my hubs buys huge lumps of Vintage Mature Cheese when its on special offer at work we then cut it up into usable size lumps and freeze it.
Jelly as a treat is yummy, especially with a bit of cheese.

Reactions: 3 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear me this thread has reduced me to tears. Some of these responses are sooooo funny! Im only into my 2nd week of being diabetic and had my first jelly and cream hit last night. Then I had my second jelly and cream hit straight after!
I felt terrible for consuming something with such a terrible nutritional value.
Did I just say that?? What I actually meant to say was -
SOD IT AND BRING ON THE JELLY!

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @LinsT , you passed (with flying colours) the Jelly Test.
Well Done!

Your next challenge (if you choose to accept it), is to eat a whole pack in 24 hrs.

Good luck!

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A whole pack in 24 hours? Pfft that's like a few mouthfuls!
Come oooon .... give me a PROPER challenge ;-)))