Someone else who thinks like me..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for goodness sake! I eat carbs. I low carb (and low carb is less than 130g daily). They are not poison.

Reactions: lovinglife

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs are poison for carboholics.
Alcohol is poison for alcoholics.
For others it may have no impact whatsoever...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've brought up 3 children who are all now adults and who have inherited my healthy attitude to food and nutrition.
I also impressed upon my children the importance of a healthy diet and insisted that, like me, they should eat lots of fruit - oops!
Fortunately they take no notice of anything I say.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, 5 pages now of back and forth because one person said that thinking of carbs as "poison" is a useful tool for them in their personal journey with Type 2 diabetes. This place is becoming tedious in the extreme. No wonder people just disappear and never come back - they're probably sick of being browbeaten by nitpickers.

Personally, thinking of ultraprocessed carbs as ****** carbage to be avoided has been a strategy I also found helpful, @bulkbiker and now makes it possible for me to not even think about those types of foods anymore. Everyone is entitled to their own way of dealing with this disease.

I'd like to repeat the request to @Administrator, @Giverny, @DCUKMod that we be given the ability to ignore certain threads as it would come in very handy in cases like this one.

I also find it weird that Type 2's are meant to be respectful of Type 1's ways of dealing with their diabetes, to the extent that many of us have learned not to bother posting on their threads, yet some Type 1's think it's perfectly fine to stick their nose into how Type 2's manage their condition.

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, let me get this straight. Carbs cause type 2 diabetes... Why am I type 1 then? And yes I know it's my ridiculous immune system attacking my beta cells and my beta cells being pathetic and not fighting back. :meh:

Anyway, I digress. I come from a family of carb monsters. Every day, for every meal we would eat carbs in one form or another. Why am I not type 2 diabetic?!

I would be wary of progression to double diabetes...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/double-diabetes.html

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had stressful couple of days. I reverted to an old habit of eating junk carbs to get me through. This habit has mostly disappeared from my life since I had counselling a few years ago, but yesterday's events threw me and I wasn't prepared for them. Today I ate 370g carbs, they helped me get through what I had to get through. I know it's a bad habit, but I am human. I am still alive, so that's why I don't call them a poison. I am carb intolerant however and can't afford to do this too often.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being a type 1 I need carbohydrates!
And being a type 1 you take insulin to manage your carb intake. A lot of us on this forum are type 2's who are desperately trying NOT to have our diabetes worsen so that in the end we are just like yourself i.e. depending on insulin to survive.

We may also be carb addicts prior to being diagnosed and so for us carbs are poison. Thinking of them as toxic or poisonous helps us to not eat them in the quantities that we used to.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband arrived home with a box of Celebrations, which he dumped on the kitchen worktop. These are for the kids on Halloween. As I was drooling just looking at the box, I asked myself do I do a "@bulkbiker " and regard them as poison, or do I do what my friend always tells me that a few won't hurt. The box is still unopened and is away in a cupboard out of sight.
So far, poison has won.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask how you define the chips, potatoes,baked beans, mushies and occasional ice creams you mentioned you eat on a different post yesterday?