EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, it's my T2 dad's 90th birthday on Wednesday and he will be having a zoom meeting with family at 10am. I would like for him to have a candle (maybe 9?) to blow out but can't think what to put it on, given that cake is out... Mind you, he's only moderately low carb (less than 30g per meal so I suppose we could use his breakfast allowance?) so maybe you can get cupcakes that are less than that? My brother is self isolating with him and is pretty dedicated to cooking low carb.

Thoughts and suggestions? Half an avocado?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, it's my T2 dad's 90th birthday on Wednesday and he will be having a zoom meeting with family at 10am. I would like for him to have a candle (maybe 9?) to blow out but can't think what to put it on, given that cake is out... Mind you, he's only moderately low carb (less than 30g per meal so I suppose we could use his breakfast allowance?) so maybe you can get cupcakes that are less than that? My brother is self isolating with him and is pretty dedicated to cooking low carb.

Oh, congrats to your Dad. How about a low carb mug cake? Doesn’t have to be in a mug, a nice ramekin style dish should do.
https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/keto-chocolate-mug-cake/

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Cakes are possible. If you don’t want to bake, try these guys. They’d likely do you a rush job if you ring and explain. Lovely couple that run the business: https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com/

Editing to say just remembered you’re not in the UK, so that link will be useless. I baked this cake for my dad’s 80th. Just replaced the sugar with erythritol: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice steak with candles in it.
0af00edd49befa6df2b1e0bc8155a25b.jpeg

Reactions: lessci and Jaylee

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is his favourite cake?

You can just do a google for 'xxxxxx cake recipe keto' and you will be AMAZED what you will find.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox does an amazing carrot cake, I understand.

I'd be pretty happy with a baked Camembert, with the relevant number of clove of garlic embedded.

Might be a bit smelly though, but as my OH would find it equally irresistible, we'd be OK.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I'm putting it into my brother's hands and will hope for the best!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I'm putting it into my brother's hands and will hope for the best!
I feel your brother will do your dad proud. Have fun with the birthday conference call. Lol. I have one with my mum tomorrow.
Around the same age as your dad. Her's is the day before mine..