Southall (Ealing) support group

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I had a surprise invitation to the Ealing "Diabetes & Health" meeting in Southall last Saturday. I finished my 3 sets of tennis early, bought a new lawnmower, & got to the meeting. Apart from one of the leaders, I was the only white English person there.

On arrival I had a choice, fruit juice or water, & biscuits or lollipops.

Lots of questions were raised by the 40-50 people attending, including "Please explain carbohydrates." Time did not allow that question to be addressed. One participant in a wheelchair asked me afterwards.

After the meeting a meal was provided - chicken curry, 2 lots of rice, chapattis & salad.

Well, the DUK food guidelines do recommend up to 42 tabelspoons of rice daily.

5-14 portions. One-third of your diet ....
What's a portion? 1 slice of bread.... 2-3 tbsp rice ....
So 10-42 tbsp rice daily - there's a challenge that even Indians might have problems with !!

Useful meeting that highlighted the need & desire for structured education. I spoke to the consultants afterwards, exchanged emails & she wants to come with me to the Hounslow group which has been running for years.

Next meeting May 10th.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The next meeting is rearranged for May 24th. The Dr is on holiday today.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
How do you organise your Hounslow group? I'm interested because I am setting up a group in my area and looking for ideas.

Eating and exercising my way from manic to moderate Miriam.... and a steady blood glucose.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
How do you organise your Hounslow group? I'm interested because I am setting up a group in my area and looking for ideas.

Eating and exercising my way from manic to moderate Miriam.... and a steady blood glucose.
I'm not involved in the organisation - the Hounslow group includes cardiovascular members & support, & I suspect diabetes was added to that group. It was already going when I joined.

The Southall one was the inaugural meeting - even the mayor of Ealing was present. Happily his deputy refused the invitation to speak, as there was too much "courtesy" speaking, rather than information. I am trying to get involved - 4 p.m. this Saturday, May 24th.

It's at:
Young Adult Centre,
Park View Rd, Southall.
[Behind the Holy Trinity Church]

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
CANCELLED - Anyone in range could go to the Hounslow meeting Tuesday evening.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Next meeting
- 4 p.m. this Saturday, July 19th

It's at:
Young Adult Centre,
Park View Rd, Southall.
[Behind the Holy Trinity Church]

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Were any of you there?

Folk gathered at 4 p.m. but the guy opening the hall didn't turn up. We got into the church hall opposite at 5, sitting comfortable & then the other hall was opened, so we all moved across.

It was a useful meeting, even though only about 35 minutes istead of 2 hours.

I'll give a detailed report later.