Spaghetti

Richardd1857

An article in Livestrong.com
Suggested that spaghetti approx one cup with tomato not creme sauce was acceptable due to the glycemic index. The pasta is slow to digest and will not raise blood sugar to an unacceptable high.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. We are all different and have different tolerances. Try it, test and eat to your meter.

D

Deleted member 308541

An article in Livestrong.com
Suggested that spaghetti approx one cup with tomato not creme sauce was acceptable due to the glycemic index. The pasta is slow to digest and will not raise blood sugar to an unacceptable high.
I eat a small amount of pasta that has been reheated as per Micheal Mosleys tips.

I cook a batch of pasta then let it cool down, then I pack it in portion size bags, it was a bit of trial and error to get the portion size right.

LKgE66l.jpg

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If I was going to risk a spike I would choose something more nutrient dense that pasta.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally the idea of eating tiny portions of carb dense foods in the hope they won't spike you seems close to wishful thinking.
I would far rather have a decent meal with low carb veges and a magnificent slab of protein.
Drat - just realized - one of the downsides of eating low carb is the lack of appetite. My dinner is still sitting in the kitchen - probably stone cold by now - completely forgot to eat and it is half past midnight.
Oh well - that is breakfast sorted out.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
interesting post.

So looking at the link page, does that seem likely that bubble & sqeak would offer a viable alternative to pasta..?
Not going to try as yet, but further down the road, who knows when meal boredom will drive me to crave something old school

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My issue with carbs like pasta et al, is not so much the BG spike, as the ravenous hunger it induces in me.
I would hate to deal with the type of hunger pangs I used to have to cope with, during my 'Low-fat-low-calorie-dieting' days.
There is no safe amount of pasta for me,:stop: due to afore mentioned reason.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Starches resistant or not dont work for me. I freeze LivLife bread (3.8g/slice) in 2 slice packs in the freezer for when I need toast but other than that I know not to risk starches.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having tried alternatives to pasta, I came to realise that pasta is pretty bland and boring and just a vehicle to carry more tasty food to my mouth. I now eat butternutsquashetti or courgetti with my bolognese and enjoy it much more. The same can be said for rice, I much prefer stir fried cauliflower ‘rice’ with my curries now :hungry:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want a low carb alternative to bubble and squeak try steamed cauliflower as a substitute for the potato.
When you have made it, and it is singing in the pan, try grating cheese over the top and putting it under the grill for a minute.
I like Red Leicester best, I think.

Reactions: jjraak

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having tried alternatives to pasta, I came to realise that pasta is pretty bland and boring and just a vehicle to carry more tasty food to my mouth. I now eat butternutsquashetti or courgetti with my bolognese and enjoy it much more. The same can be said for rice, I much prefer stir fried cauliflower ‘rice’ with my curries now :hungry:
I would have agreed with you except that I had some pasta while on holiday this year in Puglia which was delicious even with the small amount of sauce they serve. The pasta of various shapes was small and quite hard not just cooked al dente but a different consistency. I don't test when I am on holiday so I don't know the effect on BG but if anyone has more information I would be interested. Maybe I can buy something similar and try small portions.

Reactions: Rachox

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying to get hold of some shirataki noodles to try out so my son can have more noodles -- maybe even mix with pasta to get the right amount of carbs (which I count)... hard to find around my area. However, even with "R" insulin, we dont experience any glycemic issues with al dente spaghetti in measured amounts - that being, no more than about 1 ounce (28gm) cooked wt., served with lots of meat/sausage (115g) and tomato pasta sauce (about 85g quality sauce -- and not Prego! Pls dont use Prego, it is made with corn syrup). It's actually more a plate of sausage and sauce with some pasta, but my son loves it just the same, and he always ends up on target at check time.

Since we are using "R" insulin, I know he isnt going from on-target up to 150 and back down to 85 in 2.5 hours at check time -- it simply doesnt work that quickly. So I know the meal-GI is quite low, and that is backed up by an app I use. Cream sauce (real cream) works even better. I have also checked at 20-min intervals when first evaluating such a meal, and his BG remains quite flat and stable.