Special Occasions

Win71

How do you get back on track? My 2 daughters birthdays 9th and 11th September, run up that week alot take outs, and party lots party foods, including cakes, i did not keep check on what my BG was, i`v not stepped on scales i know i will of put on weight, I need to get back on track, all foods cakes ect have been given to family/friends and the rest binned, I really need to get back to what i was doing, How do you all handle special occasions?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a type 1, so not keeping track just makes me feel sick. Although I guess some people manage enough without getting sick right away. But healthier eating is better for all of us. So while I splurge if I want to, it's a matter of remembering I prefer to not have eye or kidney issues in the future or heart or all my toes etc. And to keep it to splurges only. And that if I become unhealthy I won't necessarily be able to do all the things I enjoy.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How to get back on track…. Just forget about the past week, and start again. Beating yourself up about it is pointless. What is done is done. Just have something in mind for how you will tackle these sorts of events in future.
As a type 1 who is very strict about not eating rubbish, I ensure I have special things around that I can eat when others are tucking into junk. Some very dark chocolate, nuts, olives, deli meats, big prawns and smoked salmon, cheeses etc. I consider cakes to be far too sweet these days. They were something I ditched on diagnosis. I think the less you do eat anything sweet or carb heavy the less you enjoy it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do keep a check on what I am eating even if I am going somewhat off track, but after some 5 years now, I can do that and not have elevated blood glucose - I do gain weight so very easily, so I have to
a) not overdo the carbs
b) return quite quickly to more normal eating
c) eat slightly fewer carbs for some days after
It does become nothing to be overly concerned about, as long as it doesn't become the start of an almighty carb fest which seems to afflict some people once they go slightly astray.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For now just start again, as most of us have to sometimes.
In future make some low carb treats for social events/parties? My low carb chocolate mousse with fresh raspberries is popular with others but I also use cake recipes from https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ and from https://headbangerskitchen.com/category/keto-recipes/keto-desserts/ among others. For travelling I make low carb peanut butter balls or a low carb lemon cake recipe that keeps well. This is my current favourite: https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/blogs/sweet-treats/lemon-cake

• Agree
Reactions: Win71

Win71

Thank you all, i have gone back on track, it is hard not to beat myself up for giving into junk, i will definitely try the recipes and cater for foods i can have, i should of just made extras as my daughters friend is type1 diabetic

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 3 weeks of special occasions nearly every other day, it’s all in the planning, I have my sons birthday weekend with visitors and takeaways - I’ve got my meals planned around it all, then a couple of friends birthdays evenings out, check menus on line and chose meals before I go, then my 60th birthday celebrations over a few days. Planning, planning, planning. The days in between be very strict with myself. I put it all in MyFitnessPal beforehand so I know exactly where, what and how.

I learned years ago that social gatherings are about making memories not about the food, sometimes I don’t eat and no one notices, they are too busy enjoying themselves too.

I want to be around for my 70th, 80th and beyond so what I do in the present gives me the best chance of a future