Spiking after breakfast

Kels*

Has anyone had similar experience and how did you resolve? I am finding my blood sugars are spiking after breakfast . In particular after eating porridge and fruit. It is all measured and I pre bolus etc but I just can not wonder why else it is still going high!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Kels*

I love porridge but can't eat it for breakfast as it's too high carb for me at this time of day, sends me sky rocket till lunch, I find it's much easier to eat a low carb breakfast instead of fighting highs all morning, both porridge and fruit are high carb, although berries are much easier to tolerate, I can cope with higher carb items later on in the day when more active though, just finding what works best for you, some have cream with their porridge which slows the spike, but even this didn't help me.

Reactions: Kels*

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Has anyone had similar experience and how did you resolve? I am finding my blood sugars are spiking after breakfast . In particular after eating porridge and fruit. It is all measured and I pre bolus etc but I just can not wonder why else it is still going high!
Unlike a normal person's insulin, injected insulin follows a fixed curve over 5 hours and does not match the food you are eating. On DAFNE they teach you to ignore the spikes and if your dose is correct, your blood sugars should return to premeal levels 5 hours after injecting. Like @Juicyj I gave up porridge and eat low carb to avoid spikes.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I gave up on eating breakfast, as any food at that time of the day spiked me unbelievably high, and as I wasn't hungry when I got up, it seemed easier to have a longer fasting time, and approach lunch with a much better blood sugar.

Reactions: Kels*

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I forgot to add @Kels* your could also have a bit of dawn phenomen going on too where the liver dumps some glucose into your blood stream, another reason why avoiding carbs at breakfast is best until you can find food that work best for you, bacon and eggs is a great alternative as is berries and plain yoghurt, there are many options to try.

Reactions: Hopeful34 and Kels*

Kels*

Hey @Kels*

I love porridge but can't eat it for breakfast as it's too high carb for me at this time of day, sends me sky rocket till lunch, I find it's much easier to eat a low carb breakfast instead of fighting highs all morning, both porridge and fruit are high carb, although berries are much easier to tolerate, I can cope with higher carb items later on in the day when more active though, just finding what works best for you, some have cream with their porridge which slows the spike, but even this didn't help me.

Thank you , may need to think of some alternative low carb breakfast to have . Trying to eat healthier and have 3 meals a day rather than snacks! But if it’s causing me to be high most of the morning then I am willing to let the porridge go !!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know of people with Type 1 who continue to eat porridge without experiencing spikes.
However, due to Dawn Phenomenon, it is not unusual to be insulin resistant first thing in the morning, Therefore, it is common to need to prebolus much earlier.
This is not a porridge problem: it is something you may experience with a breakfast of yoghurt and berries (the typical low carb breakfast recommended by people with type 2).

@Kels* there is a lot of trial and error involved with managing Type 1 as we are all different. Some things mean we need more trial and error so we have to decide whether it is worthwhile.
For example, you eat porridge every morning so moving your bolus back 5 minutes each day until you don't see a spike won't take that long. I don't eat pizza every day but enjoy them so much that I felt the trial and error was worthwhile to get the appropriate bolus timing for me and pizza.

Reactions: KK123

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Could you give us a breakdown of your routine bolus time prior to brekky, then the timing of the spike. Do you fall back in range by lunch?
How long after getting up do you eat?
To be fair, I don't do breakfast. during my morning routine prior to setting off to work I can need a correction for a 3 or 4mmol rise due to liver dump which is pulled in line after 1.5/2 hours. I wouldn't agree there is always insulin resistance happening in conjunction. In some respect my liver has set the breakfast tray out for me.
But I do know. Whichever way I run at it. Porridges can be tricky..

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used a few techniques to eliminate this problem myself. I've had to change them due various factors at play.

1) Fix the Basal.

I have always had higher Basal needs between 6am and 9am, for approximately five years. For periods, I've been able to eliminate the issue by increasing my Basal to deal with the Spikes.

2) Fix the Bolus

If the Basal can't be fixed, I would then look at the Bolus. There are two elements to this.

i) Increasing the Breakfast Bolus Carb Ratio

Simple really, if you can handle more Bolus without Lows take more Bolus.

ii) Changing the timing

As In Response alluded to Bolus can be very slow in the morning. So I give it more time to work. I've at times had to pre-Bolus for an hour before I saw the Insulin beginning to work.

3) Intermittent Fasting

If neither of the first two methods work, I delay eating breakfast. This is the most difficult for me because it's not always practical to eat Breakfast after 9am. I'll usually still see a bit of a rise before I eat my Breakfast, but then when I take my Insulin it works quickly and there's only the most modest of spikes caused by the food.

Last Note: What are you using to determine the Spikes are happening? If it's a Libre, you can have 'fake' Spikes if you test too quickly after eating. Basically, using a Libre during a Spike usually results in the Libre overestimating the strength of the Spike. So, if you're getting this information from your Libre, it might be worth double-checking with proper Blood Tests to confirm the actual strength of the spike.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
3) Intermittent Fasting
One of the great things about Type 1 is that we are all different.
The downside is what works for some, does not work for others.

Personally, I find skipping breakfast will prolong my dawn phenomenon.
Easting something (even something small) will convince my liver that it can stop dumping glucose.

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't eat porridge. Are you one of the 3 bears? Breakfast is best time for low carb! Bacon, sausage, mushrooms, salmon and egg, scrambled egg

Although I do miss Frosties :banghead:

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also spike in the morning after eating 20g porridge with 1/2 cup of Lacto free milk & a teaspoon of 100 % peanut butter. After having a review with my diabetes consultant nurse, this week I'm now having Novo Rapid with my breakfast, learnt about correction dosages & now do this. Let's see what happens?

Reactions: In Response