1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Splitting Lantus to lower morning test

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by iamallready, May 20, 2021.

1. iamallready

iamallready · Member

Hi,
    I have recently moved from the UK back to New Zealand.
    In the UK I was on Novorapid and Tresiba, and that regime was working really well.
    Tresiba is not available in this country, and I've had to go back to using Lantus. The results have been frustrating, with morning highs virtually every day since I've been on it. It's just not lasting 24 hours. I can see from my LibreLink that it's working fine until about 22-23 hours, and then spiking. So I'm continually hitting 12-15 for my first morning test. Not good!
    Looking to split the Lantus dose to see if this helps. From the info I've found in forums on this site it appears most people have opted for about 60% at night and 40% in the morning, but all the advice is from several years ago.
    Has anyone experimented with this recently and had success?
    Thanks in advance, Hamish

2. Goma5

Goma5 Type 1 · Active Member

I split mine 50:50, but i was previously taking it all in the evening and having overnight lows.

seems alright on the Libre for me, if anything i maybe get an increase in BGs towards evening mealtime.

3. searley

searley Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

It comes down to how active you are in the mornings.. there is a peak of action at about 4 hours.. so if you are really active there is a risk of low bg around that point so may be more at night when you are less active..

Or vice versus struggling highs in the morning you can try more in the morning

Personally 50/50 worked for me.. but I much preferred tresiba

4. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you are not doing it already try taking it around 9 pm. Then even if doesn’t last the full 24 hours you will be covered by the NovoRapid taken with your evening meal.

5. kvetiny

kvetiny Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take 10 units of Lantus at 11am and 8 units at 11pm. The evening dose works very well over night. Sometimes the morning dose I crash about 4pm but tried lowering the morning dose to 9 units then my sugars run too high all day.
    Overall spilting Lantus works much better than one dose.

6. iamallready

iamallready · Member

Great, thanks. I guess increased BGs can be corrected by short acting dose before dinner.

7. iamallready

iamallready · Member

Thank you. Yes, I much preferred the stability of Tresiba, which was why I was put on it in the first place. For me it's about taking out the high waking test from Lantus not going the distance. I can deal with any dips during the day.

8. iamallready

iamallready · Member

Thanks, I'll def give it a go. May start off with 50/50 and adjust depending on outcome.

9. iamallready

iamallready · Member

I used to take it at bedtime, but ran into problems with sleep hypos as it peaks in 4 hours. Switched to mornings, then to Tresiba. Think I'll have a go at splitting as feedback has been overwhelmingly fore

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook