Squash with no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I did try and search but too many hits.

As I am no longer (for the moment) super low carb and I am supposed to increase the amount I drink I thought I would try diluted squash.

Can anyone recommend a fruit squash which hasn't been mucked about with?

Orange would be my first choice.
[Well, Ribena would be my first choice but best not go there.]

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In this house the squash of choice is Vimto no added sugar. Disclaimer: I don't drink it, don't like it.

It has a claimed 0.3g carb per 100ml "diluted product" - so about 1g for a standard large glass.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Robinson's double strength apple & blackcurrant no added sugar (1.75ltr) contains 70 servings, meaning a suggested serving is 25ml. It's 1.2g carbs per 100ml, so 0.3g carbs per 25ml serving.

Having tested it with my BG meter, it has no effect on my BG levels, at least not that I can detect with a meter reading. I only use 50ml diluted per litre of water though, I've never been one for strong squash. Might be worth a try.

Edit - just checked Robinson's double strength orange no added sugar (1.75ltr). It's 1.2g carbs per 100ml too apparently, so same amount as the apple and blackcurrant.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LittleGreyCat

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Me I use Tesco juice apple and blackcurrant and that is the ordinary one I don't know if it has sugar or sweetner in it all I know it doesn't raise my sugars and it is double strength and it only comes in 1.75ltr or 1.5ltr and it tastes better than the Robinson's juice and I normally have it with filtered water which I use Brita filters as it's nicer to have and you don't taste the metallic from the taps

• Informative

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like the Robinsons Orange no added sugar squash (double-concentrate) - its claims it has negligible amounts of carbs and sugars

• Informative

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried adding fruit to water? It can be very refreshing and no nasties if that’s what you’re wanting to avoid.

In the warmer months I have a big jug which I fill with water and ice and keep in the fridge, I make it up every evening before bed to give it time to “steep” sometimes with a good few slices of cucumber and some muddled mint (my favourite) a few sliced strawberries with mint is nice too, sliced lemon or orange works well too, it has negligible carbs as your not squeezing the fruit. Also fruit teas brewed then chilled and kept in the fridge are very refreshing.

I also make my own flavoured vinegars which I usually use for salad & veggie dressing. Strawberry or raspberry vinegars are amazing and so cheap to make, a couple of teaspoons in chilled sparkling water is delicious but may be an acquired taste

For the vinegars just use a few tops that you cut off the strawberries or you can use whole strawberries, white wine vinegar I find best or you can use cider vinegar, put in an airtight glass jar in a cool dark place and leave for about 3- 4 days strain and store in the fridge for about 4 weeks, you can do the same with any herb, soft herbs like mint leaves etc take about a week, woodier herbs like rosemary take 3-4 weeks

Oops Sorry went off on a bit of a tangent there but I hope I’ve given you some ideas

• Informative
Reactions: shelley262

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Really need to read the labels and choose because ‘no added sugar’ doesn’t mean ‘sugar free’. I’ve always for the Tesco/coop own brand to be ok for me

Reactions: Paul_

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Water for me, don’t touch anything with sweetners if I can avoid them. I still think the jury is out on what they do to our bodies. And since becoming diabetic 10 years ago and basically eradicating sweet foods, I cannot stand stuff even vaguely sweet.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did try and search but too many hits.

As I am no longer (for the moment) super low carb and I am supposed to increase the amount I drink I thought I would try diluted squash.

Can anyone recommend a fruit squash which hasn't been mucked about with?

Orange would be my first choice.
[Well, Ribena would be my first choice but best not go there.]
https://uk.air-up.com/ is something I just switched to. I detest water, but really do need it, and this helps. It's still just water, but because of the pod it doesn't taste like water. Still on my first pod, so can't attest to the flavour of the many others, but the hint of lemon & lime makes quite the difference for me. Oh, just saw this... There seem to be more pods to choose from in the Netherlands, sorry. But it may be a workable alternative.

Reactions: Aurum

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
https://uk.air-up.com/ is something I just switched to. I detest water, but really do need it, and this helps. It's still just water, but because of the pod it doesn't taste like water. Still on my first pod, so can't attest to the flavour of the many others, but the hint of lemon & lime makes quite the difference for me. Oh, just saw this... There seem to be more pods to choose from in the Netherlands, sorry. But it may be a workable alternative.
I don't really mind water, but after a while it gets boring.
I drink a spritzer of a little white wine and a lot of sparling water.
Again, gets boring after a while.

Thanks to all for the ideas - I think a bit of bottle reading is coming up!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek