Starting Insulin tomorrow

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Guys,

I'm starting insulin tomorrow. It's not ideal but it's the only option to get control.

She is discussing with the doctor today to decide the best regime.

At present I'm on 4 X Gliclazide a day which isn't working and she talking about either adding 2 X.doses of long acting insulin OR starting me on one long acting at night and fast acting at mealtimes!!

Did anyone else have similar when starting? She did mention mixed but I had that when I was pregnant and really didn't cope well on it x

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck for tomorrow Jaxx, do keep a detailed diary so that your your diabetes team can advise you on adjusting your insulin doses. Hope all goes well.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Noblehead. Bit nervous but fed up of feeling so poorly all the time so hopefully this will help!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Guys,

I'm starting insulin tomorrow. It's not ideal but it's the only option to get control.

She is discussing with the doctor today to decide the best regime.

At present I'm on 4 X Gliclazide a day which isn't working and she talking about either adding 2 X.doses of long acting insulin OR starting me on one long acting at night and fast acting at mealtimes!!

Did anyone else have similar when starting? She did mention mixed but I had that when I was pregnant and really didn't cope well on it x

I've never taken any diabetes medication, never mind insulin, but I know I would hate the mixed insulin route. I may be wrong, but doesn't that enatil eating set carbs at each mealtime, and keeping mealtimes extremely regular too? I'd say that bearing in mind what you cited about your struggles to retain control, that wouldn't serve you too well. I would think that, although certainly more work to get used to and understand, I'd have thought carb counting and "adjustable insulin" (to what you eat etc.) could work better?

Edit - Just to add, if you have feelings either way, please ensure you make them clear and don't just accept what "they" want you to have, without discussion.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly my thoughts!! When I had GD they had me on a mixed insulin and it was so rigid at mealtimes, no scope to negotiate carbs and if you did any extra walking with you would have a.hypo..I'd rather not go through that again!!! I'm praying they are going to let me on the two separate ones!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly my thoughts!! When I had GD they had me on a mixed insulin and it was so rigid at mealtimes, no scope to negotiate carbs and if you did any extra walking with you would have a.hypo..I'd rather not go through that again!!! I'm praying they are going to let me on the two separate ones!!!

If you prepare and have valid reasons; like actual experience, hopefully they will try to accommodate your preferences.

Good luck with it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Noblehead. Bit nervous but fed up of feeling so poorly all the time so hopefully this will help!

Hopefully so, I remember there was a lady on the forum early last year who was in a similar position to yourself, she started on insulin and felt so much better within a week or two and came back on the forum to say so, it's understandable that your apprehensive and fed-up but hopefully all will work out well. Again good luck.

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Go for the Basal/Bolus as it gives complete control. My DN started me on just one Basal a day but after 4 weeks we agreed it wasn't good enough so she added Bolus insulin which gives excellent control. I'm really glad the DN never considered mixed insulin. BTW my DN explained carb-counting at the same session as the Bolus was added. She gave me a leaflet with pictures and carb amounts and started me off at 1:10 ratio. It took 10 minutes and if you have some understanding of diabetes already you don't need a course to get going.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back :) been given lantus 10 units to start and novorapid 2 units and it'll be trial and error for a while x

Reactions: 7 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Good luck Jaxx, I am on quite heavy doses of mixed insulin now but feel much better and haven't looked back ! Keep the faith.
EDWARD :)

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Eddie :) in the 6 days I've been on it I've got my fasting down from between 14-16 to 7.3 this morning and I gotta admit I feel great :D post meals are around the 9 mark...but better than 20+ I was getting on the gliclazide!!! Feeling very happy :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Fab Jaxx, most T2s worry about hypos and stuff before insulin therapy and it is normal. Most T2s have some beta cells functioning in their pancreas and keep hypos a small possibility whereas T1s have no beta cells. The great thing about insulin is it has no side effects like all the tablets (especially metformin) which can cause lots of dodgy feelings. Go with the flow and let the good times roll lol :joyful::)

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's great...I asked to be out on a bolus/basal regime because I tried mixed when I was pregnant and i was having hypos all over the place. I have had one hypo, the very first night I took my lantus as I must have hit something...It dropped within 40 minutes!!! x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
It's great...I asked to be out on a bolus/basal regime because I tried mixed when I was pregnant and i was having hypos all over the place. I have had one hypo, the very first night I took my lantus as I must have hit something...It dropped within 40 minutes!!! x
Hi jaxx01, the great dr r bernstein goes into good detail re t1 insulin regime , his book diabetes explained 4 th edition has five chapters on dosing and how to correct etc.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Pleased it's working out for you Jaxx :)