starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

autumn6464

Does anyone know about ketones (may have got that spelling wrong). I know some people test for it, can anyone point me to a post about it. Also the doctor put me on blood pressure tablets (I've told him I've come off them and will see him next week anyway). This was because I had protein in my urine. Does anyone know if this is a side effect of diabetes or something else entirely. I know the answers will be on this site, but it is a big site.

Husband just cooked bacon and egg while I was posting, I didn't even notice - progress. Pass the milk shake.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
autumn6464 said:
Does anyone know about ketones (may have got that spelling wrong). I know some people test for it, can anyone point me to a post about it. Also the doctor put me on blood pressure tablets (I've told him I've come off them and will see him next week anyway). This was because I had protein in my urine. Does anyone know if this is a side effect of diabetes or something else entirely. I know the answers will be on this site, but it is a big site.

Here you go:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28176

Low-levels of ketones are not a bad thing if you are a T2 (who doesn't need insulin) with good BG control and eating a very low-carb diet. If you have dark ketone colours and your BG control is not good, you need to be very careful, as this is a sign of ketoacidosis (which is a very serious medical condition).

If you have protein in your urine, you might need to be a bit careful when you are low-carbing that you replace your carbohydrate calories with fat, and not excess protein. Low-carb doesn't have to be high-protein, you just have to be a bit more careful in choosing your diet. I try to steer away from too much protein, not because of my kidneys, but because it can also influence my BG (although to a much lesser extent than carbs).

autumn6464

Thanks borofergie - Ketones - can't say I understand it, but will try again soon.
I'm on milk shakes and home made veg soup at the moment, so sounds like protien in urine not an issue until later when normal eating starts again. Lots less of course.

Ivenoidea

Just been for my weigh day at the GP, so this is the end of week three. but really it is almost two full days more due to the bank holiday.
1st week 93kg now I am down to 83 kg, so just over 1 1/2 stone in 3 weeks but the main thing is my blood sugars are all normal and hopefully getting rid of the fat around my pancreas.
The weight loss to me is only a by-product of my aim to get my insulin flowing as well as it can do, but I must admit that everyone is noticing the difference already which is a big motivator and my BMI is 29 which means I am now out of the OBESE category.
I have stuck religiously to the diet and have not broken it once so far although towards the end of last week I was really tempted.

Hows it going now Geordie90 since you have started eating "real" food again? have you noticed any difference in your sugar levels?
Keep at it and let us know how it is on the other side.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi all back again
Well been 'off' diet for a few weeks and due to numerous leaving do's and easter am annoyed with myself.
Sugars slightly higher than normal over last week but i think thats due to being less stric with eating regime, and also not going to gym as much due to work, but these are all excuses, just need to knuckle down and get back on it.
One strange thing is that coffee now seems to raise my sugar?? Has anyone else had these effects?? Also now suffering from dawn effect which i never had before??
To all who are just starting keep at it the changes in your body and temprament are amazing but dont think of it as a cure, its really is about a life change I have finally realised this. Still off all medications and intend to stay so and want to lose another stone and a half if i can, but still in 34's and medium t shirts which ive never been able to do.
Tell you what is really annoying though.....I know in my mind that i look completely different to how i looked four months ago but mentally still think i look fat and overweight!! I think this is the biggest pitfall for long term fat people like me, body image issues and its so easy to say sod it i dont care about being slimmer, but thats the conundrum and the issue.
Keep at it, stay focused, if you fall off get back on .......quickly and remember this is for life and I can never get used to people saying how well i look and only half the man i was.
Now who needs to stay positive lol.........me.
Had a bad few weeks, out of my system now......bring it on

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi all
Well back on it today big style, I have realised that I need to plan for coming off diet to ensure some consistency is maintained. Want to lose another stone over the next two months so thats my target, then I think this time i will have a diet plan put together predominently around low carbing, one thing you must all realise this diet is the start its not a 'cure' as sid bonkers alluded too its a good start but you need to have a plan put in place for afterwards.

Wish me luck lol

Hi all
Finally got my BG monitor (the one you suggested LouiseB - thanks) Sat morning and read all the destructions, then took my first reading. Bearing in mind it was about 1:30pm on day 9 of the diet just before I had my shake I was unsure what the reading would be. My BG then was 4.7 (is that good, or bad?). I then took my bg 2 hours after my shake and it was 5.7. Is this OK and does it suggest that things are improving?

Day 10 my first fasting bg Sun morning at 9:30 was 5.7.
Day 11 fasting bg 5.5. Weight 14st4lbs (starting weight 15st1lb) a loss of 11lbs in 11 days

Not so bothered about the weight so much as the decreasing fasting BGs and potentially returning insulin response to normal.

I thought on the Newcastle trial all of the participants' FBGs were normal after 7 days, why is mine still a bit high even after 10??

Will post an update on Day 14.

Good luck Geordie90 and everyone else, speak soon.

P.S. this site was broken for a couple of days last week, did anyone else notice, or was it just me?

autumn6464

"I thought on the Newcastle trial all of the participants' FBGs were normal after 7 days, why is mine still a bit high even after 10??"

I;ve been on the diet proper for a month now, and my fasting blood sugar seems to be 5.2 fairly consistently. I went to the doctors on Tuesday, wrote my questions down for him to answer. He is very supportive and said well done, not everyone can stick to a diet like you have, so left on cloud 9 and went home and had a piece of cheese and half a tin of beans!!! He also asked if I'd like to do the glucose test, have glucose, wait 2 hours and test again to see how BS were affected. I said no, but the next day I did FBG 5.2, had a treacle flapjack and a packet of crisps, tested straight away (8.1mm) waited 2 hours and tested again (8.2mm). Bit disappointed, I thought it might have worked, but have stuck to the diet since, I've made some mushroom soup (mush,onion, broccoli and black pepper) which is delicious. Made some carrot and tomato soup, again with black pepper and that's lovely. My BMI is 26.2., I seem to have reached a plateau re losing weight. I am trying to do more exercise. When I started the diet I felt so well (being off the tablets) and full of energy, now I get tired easily. I think at 11 st.3lb I have used up a lot of extra fat and now I am starting to use up the "other" fat and it's making me tired, did others feel this way?

Last time I came off the diet I had fish and chips and my BG was 13.5. I don't know if that was because fish and chips are very bad or what.

Ivenoidea

Thanks Geordie90 for keeping us informed of "life after the diet". As you have said all along this is a life changing diet, you have to commit yourself to realizing that to change your situation then you have to change your lifestyle, and that includes sticking to this diet 100% otherwise there is no point in doing it and you might as well try weightwatchers and lose weight and get fit that way.
Well it was weigh day for week four of the diet and the weight loss has definitely slowed down, lost a kilo which doesn't sound a lot when you eat hardly anything but its better off than on, I'm really into the swing of it now and cant believe I am half way through, I've already got a plan for when I come off the diet so hopefully should still manage to lose weight but a little more slowly I expect.
My blood pressure stayed pretty much the same as last week but never did as much walking or biking last week so I will try and do more this week and see if it makes a difference. I'm also finding my blood testing is coming out really low, I've had a few 3.5 and 3.7 which seems really good but will watch how I go when I start eating again.
Good luck everyone and keep posting Geordie90.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Well back on it tonight, good sesh at gym im concentrating on cardio at minute and with the weight ive lost ive actually started running!!!!Normally my ankles would give me jip and my calves would scream but tbh i feel excellent at minute, so 28 minutes on elipitical trainer, fat loss program, resistance 8 on level then 10 when on incline, 430 cals burned then straight onto running machine, 15 mins interval training, speed 9.5, 15 secs on machine 15 secs rest, this is equivalent to 7 1/2 minutes sprint due to my little legs lol, then 100 sits ups, 180 russian twists, 1 minute straight plank, then 1 minute side plans on both sides. Then home to sweat to death lol.
Got my enthusiasm back next stone will be gone soon and all will be well with the world, i needed the blip and the week where things slid to get myself back on track. Going to go for it now, whos going to join me???

Defren

I am going to give it a whirl (fellow) Geordie :D I have ordered all the shakes, I am using Atkins as they are lower carb. May not make the eight weeks, as I found out today I have already lost two stone in six weeks. I want to try this to really give my pancreas the very best shot I can. I am not happy with my BG's they are not low enough, or stable enough. Shakes arrive this week, so may start Monday. Have read all your threads, and am really inspired.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi Defren fellow geordie eh nice one
Def give it a try but see ur doctor before coming off meds etc
U in newcastle?
Wat gym u use?

Defren

Not in Newcastle Geordie, but still in Geordieland. I will be staying on meds as I am only on Metformin, and that protects my heart etc. Gym? What are they? Hope to start swimming daily very soon.

Ivenoidea

Hi Geordie90,
I've been given a doctors referral to the local sports center which has a gym and I get 12 sessions with one of the instructors once a week. I think I go next week so I'm up for regular workouts, I've already been going for speed walks, the route I do is 1.3 miles and also riding my bike (5.5 miles) and went swimming last week with my 8 yr old and did 16 lengths, which is the most I've done in years. I was in the Royal Auxiliary air force a couple of years ago and to be honest was never fit enough and even though I did lose weight and got fitter I had a foot problem and had to leave, but if I can reverse my diabetes then I am hoping to rejoin and use their excellent training facilities, so I am determined to do the utmost to at least reverse my diabetes and due to only being diagnosed a few months ago and relatively low hba1c results who knows, it might even be a cure.
So I'm with you Geordie, although I might be quite far behind you I'll give it a go!

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Defren dont pick monday as weigh day cos that means weekends before lol, pick friday, thats my new weigh day .
Back at gym tonight again, im really hitting it hard , another 28 minutes on stepper, 430 cals, then 13 minutes on running machine, speed 9.5, 15 seconds on 15 seconds off for a total of 13 minutes which is one more than last night i think, im hoping to get upto twenty minutes doing intervals as this will really help me in the rugby as its all stop start, might even play a bit of league this summer. Then another 100 crunches, 180 russian twists and three more minutes of plank lol, how a static exercise can be so tiring is anyones guess lol.
Im back into it now tbh feeling good again and determined to get more weight off and reduce sugars further.
Ivenoidea keep at it and youll get there the weight coming off takes pressure of your joints and I can now do things i couldnt just by dropping a bit of weight, amazing really. Set your self a goal of get back into the services, im setting a goal of the yorkshire three peaks this year in 12 hours i think it is.
Going to go for a walk next week i think across at lakes see how i feel now ive lost the weight

Defren

Hi Geordie. The weekends are not a problem for me. I stick to exactly the same diet then as I do weekdays. Since diagnosis I fell off the wagon once, I had a packet of McCoys crisps. My BG's went sky high and stayed there for hours - never again! To be honest I am sitting thinking, seeing as I have the shakes here, I may as well start tomorrow. There is just no reason to hold back, apart from a fridge full of fresh food that will go off. I think realistically I will start on Monday, just because it seems crazy to me to have all that food and just let it go of. So, I will more than likely be joining you Monday. I know this will be relatively easy for me, as I am used to very low calories anyway. Wish me luck though, that's always handy :lol:

Defren

I was thinking of what you said about the gym Geordie, as I am not very mobile (other health issues) I have ordered a treadmill. I can just start of slow walking. I got a motorised one as I think that will be easier for me. So I will try that with the ND.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
defren def exercise as much as you can but be careful not to cause yourself any mischief, treadmills are a good bit of kit but do put pressure on ur joints have u thought of an eliptical training machine? Very low impact and produce good results.
Good luck from monday and keep us informed.
I m away camping!!!this weekend at harrogate bairns got a rugby tournament oh joy the weather looks like its going to be awful too lol

Hi everyone, time for my day 14 results:

FBG 5.4
Weight 14st 2lbs (starting weight 15st1lbs) - lost 13lb :crazy:

Tested my bg 2hrs after a big plateful of stirfry yesterday and it was 5.7, was quite chuffed.

Only 42 days to go (wish I could fast forward time, lol)

Ivenoidea, I too was only diagnosed in October last year and am hoping that this will 'cure' the condition, at least for a few years and stave off those complications 'til I'm much older. Can I ask what your total calorie intake is per day? I'm trying to keep it to 600kcals in the hope that the results are better, although looking at your results (which are amazing) I have a fair way to catch up. You and Geordie90 (and cherry tomatoes) are the only reasons I haven't fallen off the wagon. It is an inspiration to read your posts, thankyou.