starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Ivenoidea said:
My fasting blood sugar level was 4.2, pretty good I thought and then I had my fingers crossed as she said my G I T reading was..........................................................5.0 !!!!!!!! ..........which means I AM NORMAL!!!!!! I cant tell you how happy I am and so grateful to Prof Taylor for discovering this chance to at least reverse or possibly cure this disease in only 8 weeks.

Now that's a game changer! Congratualtions! You didn't just beat the GTT, you killed it!

I think that this news is worthy of it's own thread (really). Can you tell us about what your stats were like on diagnosis?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Doolie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi ,
I am just approaching the end of Week 4 of the Newcastle Diet.
Metformin (previously) 4x 500mg per day stopped 48 hours before commencing diet.
I am on 3x 200kcal shakes per day Optislim/Slimfast/Asda's own mix
and 200 kcals worth of veg as soup or salad and 3 litres of sugar/ milk free drinks.
I am down from a Size 22 to an 18 in dress size and I feel really good.
Blood sugar 5.4 mmol/l on waking , compared with 13 on diagnisis at Christmas.
7.1 mmol/l 2 hours after meal.
I really think it is working, I do feel hungry at times but munch on raw carrot or cauliflower to ease the hunger.I now beleive that I will get to the end of this diet.
Only real challenge is the cold. My hands and feet are cold and I have not been able to sleep some nights because I cannot get warm. Anyone else had this effect?
Jules

Defren

Ivenoidea said:
Well everybody, I had my glucose intolerance test yesterday, in case you have never had one, you have to fast the night before and then have a blood sample taken the next morning, then have a sugary drink,I thought I was going to have a special kind of liquid drink but it turned out to be a bottle of lucozade, then you go back 2 hours later and have another blood sample taken wait 24hrs for the results and here we are today.

My fasting blood sugar level was 4.2, pretty good I thought and then I had my fingers crossed as she said my G I T reading was..........................................................5.0 !!!!!!!! ..........which means I AM NORMAL!!!!!! I cant tell you how happy I am and so grateful to Prof Taylor for discovering this chance to at least reverse or possibly cure this disease in only 8 weeks. It just shows that the choices we make in our lives can really make a difference, good or bad. I still have at least a stone to lose, but I'll be happy trying to lose it with watching what I eat and uptake in exercise, I have just got a new pair of jeans.......... with a 32" waist, they are a little bit "snug" but an extra inch off my waist will make all the difference.

Anyone who is thinking about starting or is still on it, keep going it really can make a difference.

Stunning results!!! You have really given me the kick I need to carry on as single minded as I started out, but have wobbled a little. While I have not cheated at all, I did feel that my motivation was weakening. Seeing your results has really spurred me on to finish the last four weeks. Congratulations, I am so impressed with your strength and results. Joanna.

Defren

Doolie said:
Hi ,
I am just approaching the end of Week 4 of the Newcastle Diet.
Metformin (previously) 4x 500mg per day stopped 48 hours before commencing diet.
I am on 3x 200kcal shakes per day Optislim/Slimfast/Asda's own mix
and 200 kcals worth of veg as soup or salad and 3 litres of sugar/ milk free drinks.
I am down from a Size 22 to an 18 in dress size and I feel really good.
Blood sugar 5.4 mmol/l on waking , compared with 13 on diagnisis at Christmas.
7.1 mmol/l 2 hours after meal.
I really think it is working, I do feel hungry at times but munch on raw carrot or cauliflower to ease the hunger.I now beleive that I will get to the end of this diet.
Only real challenge is the cold. My hands and feet are cold and I have not been able to sleep some nights because I cannot get warm. Anyone else had this effect?
Jules

Yes!! I feel the cold something terrible. I have the feeling that loosing weight, so less padding leads to us feeling the cold so much more. It's a nasty side effect, but a price worth paying for me.

youngmanfrank

Feeling cold is becoming a commonly reported result of the diet,especially cold feet and hands.I also seem to shiver in the slightest breeze.

It is now more than six months since I completed my diet and yet when I run first thing every morning I am still wearing gloves,and I am sleeping under a winter weight duvet plus a quilt.I always used to run hot!

It can't be poor circulation due to my exercise regime.My best day this week for exercise was Wednesday,when I started with my daily 3 mile run for my paper,eased into a 20 mile bicycle ride mid-morning,cooled off with 30 lengths of the local swimming pool after lunch and finished off with an hours dog walk after tea.Eventually went to bed and shivered for a bit.

The next morning I weighed myself,still 12 stones,and my fasting blood sugar was 5.0,so it was not low blood sugar levels or additional weight loss.

The only clue I might have lies in an explanation of standard tests for Thyroid disease that I found.This states that a reduction in T3 levels can be caused,amongst other things,by going on a fast or unwanted starvation.As I understand it T4 metabolizes into T3 which is the actual driver of your levels of metabolic activity.

autumn6464

in case you have never had one, you have to fast the night before and then have a blood sample taken the next morning, then have a sugary drink,I thought I was going to have a special kind of liquid drink but it turned out to be a bottle of lucozade, then you go back 2 hours later and have another blood sample taken wait 24hrs for the results and here we are today.

I went on 16th Jan to see the diabetic nurse. I am going on 22nd to have my finger prick and drink and then wait for 2 hours etc. It was a fiasco on 16th. the nurse weighed me, said very good, asked me how many metformin I was on (I tell her every time I'm on no tablets.) She wanted to do the finger prick even tho I said I had just eaten and had done my own finger prick and it was 6.1 before I ate, when she did it I was 7.2mm, she said that meant I was still diabetic - and didn't I think I had lost enough weight. I felt I had been slapped in the face, she was just canceling the 22nd March appointment when I said the doctor had arranged it, and I wanted to take it. My husband doesn't rate her either.
Thanks for your post, I did not know I had to fast the night before, my appointment is at 8.30 and then 10.30, Is she right, does 7.2 mean it has not worked? Even if it hasn't I have changed my eating habits drastically. I was in size 24 trousers, I can now get into some 12 trousers and all my friends are dieting, though not my diet. I had a sandwich the other night (after 16th) and felt uncomfortably full. I know exercise is important and went swimming on Tuesday and did 18 lengths. Even if it's not worked I am glad I did it and will continue at least until 22nd , I feel I am so near. About feeling cold, I take a wheat bag to bed, and wear under trousers and other extra clothes. Without these posts I think I would have given up, I've bought 4 more strawberry shakes from ASDA. I think I could get addicted. (I've just said no to supper). No-one's mentioned giving a blood sample, tho I am taking a urine sample with me.

Well, onwards and upwards, someone, probably Prof Taylor, said think of hunger pangs not as a sign to eat but as a sign it is working.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
autumn6464
From what i understand in my limited knowledge if your readings as a diabetic two hours after food are below 8.5 then that is acceptable for a diabetic person
A non diabetic person is around 7.5 i think, if you check out the bgs answers on this site it gives u loads of info.

I havent been on for a while but things are all good here

This diet is not a cure lets be sensible, what it does is facilitate a healthy eating regime that brings our BGs to normal levels, makes us lose weight and reduce the risks of complications in the future but if we go back to our old ways then things will go up.

Lets just keep doing what we are doing and keep our BGs stay low, if they go up go back 0on the diet for a month and theyll come down again.

C

Ivenoidea

My fasting blood sugar level was 4.2, pretty good I thought and then I had my fingers crossed as she said my G I T reading was..........................................................5.0 !!!!!!!! ..........which means I AM NORMAL!!!!!! I cant tell you how happy I am and so grateful to Prof Taylor for discovering this chance to at least reverse or possibly cure this disease in only 8 weeks.

]Now that's a game changer! Congratualtions! You didn't just beat the GTT, you killed it!

I think that this news is worthy of it's own thread (really). Can you tell us about what your stats were like on diagnosis?

Hi and thanks for your kind comments,

I made a mistake with my GTT, I was given them the wrong way round, but it is even better news, My fasting level was 5.0 and my blood test 2 hours later was 4.2 which is astonishing!!

I'm glad you have got some more motivation defren, just like I did from geordie90, keep at it, its going to be over before you know it but make sure you have a plan ready for when you finish, mine has been a bit up and down as my body is trying to get used to the change in diet.

Just to let you know some stats:

2 years ago had blood test for dizzy spells and came back at 5.3 (so relatively normal)
Late last year had the symptoms, a friend tested me with his daughters kit and I was 24.8
went to GP was 18.4.
Blood test came back at 9.6
3 months later came back at 5.8 (after changes made to lifestyle)
3 months later came back at 6.0
I had been researching the 600 cal diet, spoke to my GP who new nothing about it, I printed all the info off and my GP bent over backwards to help me get the Optifast shakes originally used in the trial and supported me with weekly checks.

I was 95kg when first diagnosed (15st) BMI was 33.82
I was 93kg when I started the diet (14st 9lbs) BMI was 33.11
I am now 77kg (12st) and my BMI is 27.41, I am no longer in the obese category but still overweight (if I can lose another stone I'll be made up) was in 38" waist now can just get in 32" waist (still a bit tight)

I too have felt the cold a bit more, must be lack of insulation, but especially with my fingers as I am well known for having warm hands.

I still have my hba1c in three weeks time so fingers crossed it will still be good news.

autumn6464

Thanks Geordie, I feel more positive today, got more energy and my weight is constant and my FBG was 5.00,

It was a bad day yesterday, at the hospital all day with my husband, he's got a knee replacement op soon, good that it's coming sooner rather than later but he had hoped for a smaller op with keyhole surgery. and he goes in on the day after we come off holiday. Then he'll be on crutches, then two sticks and he can't drive, and the garden needs planting (good exercise for me). And the car needs taxing and testing before we go on holiday.

But being more positive I KNOW you are right, it isn't a cure just a lifestyle change, I should be grateful that I found this site. Everyone is so positive on here. As I said, I had a sandwich and it felt like I had eaten a brick, so my stomach must have shrunk. I'm on the diet again until 22nd then I'll post the result.

If it doesn't kill you it makes you strong.

Ivenoidea

I know people say it isn't a cure, but I dont know, if you can change your lifestyle, keep the weight off and if it doesn't come back.... is a permanent reversal, as in if it never comes back a cure?

To be honest I'm on the fence on this one as until more long term research is carried out we wont really know, I am aware I am probably more susceptible to it but with this diet rapidly burning off the fat from my pancreas, and if it functions correctly then why wont it work indefinitely? I suppose only time will tell.

Defren

Ivenoidea said:
I know people say it isn't a cure, but I dont know, if you can change your lifestyle, keep the weight off and if it doesn't come back.... is a permanent reversal, as in if it never comes back a cure?

To be honest I'm on the fence on this one as until more long term research is carried out we wont really know, I am aware I am probably more susceptible to it but with this diet rapidly burning off the fat from my pancreas, and if it functions correctly then why wont it work indefinitely? I suppose only time will tell.

I don't see it as a cure, as there is no cure. I do see it as a major weapon in aiding control of BG. From what I have seen and understand, people who do this diet tolerate carbs much better once all the visceral fat is gone from the pancreas. This will be a really interesting point for me, as I don't tolerate carbs well at all, and was on under 20g most days before the diet, and am on around 9g during the diet. So, I will know once I am done if that is true, if I find I can tolerate a higher level of carbs.

autumn 64

I hope it's a cure, if it isn't we've lost nothing and gained a bit more control, and I for one know more than I did.
Weight 10 st 7 FBG this am 5.5 Still on the diet.

autumn6464

may 21st fbg 6.1
may 22nd should hve been the big day, but no polycal anywhere when I went for it yesterday so cancelled it.
May 23rd FBG 5.5
25th May FBG 5.2 8.45 am, and at 2.00pm two hours after food (veg with meat and pearl barley in- soup) 5.8
Yesterday I got a phone call from the nice nurse, who asked why I had missed my appointment, I said I had cancelled it in the surgery, she fixed another day (18th June) and said the doctor had asked for her to ring, he wanted to keep tabs on me. (I am his guinea pig). She couldn't have been more concerned or nice. I am still on the diet in a way, I had a ham salad yesterday and soup with meat and pearl barley in today. When it gets nearer the 18th I will get back to the strict diet.

I was speaking to my new next door neighbour whose mother is diabetic and because she has been unable to eat anything (coulnt keep food down and had the runs) she has lost a lot of weight. She's back at the doctors today because she thinks her new tablets are too strong. I told her the same thing(but only the runs) had happened to me.

Well done I've no idea
My fasting level was 5.0 and my blood test 2 hours later was 4.2 which is astonishing!!
What are you eating now?

Ivenoidea

Hi Autumn,
Its gone a little bit quiet on this thread now,

It has been a couple of weeks now since I finished the diet, I have put a couple of pounds on as I expected but I am back on the diet (but having normal evening meals) as I want to get down to 11 stone, which if I can achieve that after all the weight loss I have already achieved I will be ecstatic.

I haven't tested myself since my glucose tolerance test as I have my hba1c test in a couple of weeks which will be the conclusive proof that I have reversed my diabetes.

I did initially have trouble with eating normally and wasn't expecting even with the small amounts I was having, to experience such bad constipation!! be aware of this when you start eating again and with hindsight I would have really made sure of what I was going to eat when I finished as once you start it is hard to stop thinking I can have a bit of this or a bit of that, the diet is just the start it really is a complete change to your eating lifestyle (if that is what caused the diabetes in the first place)

I am lucky that my wife is a great cook and we have always had pretty much healthy meals so I am enjoying eating normal food and smaller amounts, it is not necessarily a "diabetic" lifestyle but with the changes I have made in my diet I am confident it will stay reversed.

Good luck to everyone who is trying and sticking to it and I will post my hba1c results when I get them.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi all
Long time no post, few things on at minute.

All seems well this end but weight has plateued a bit but starting to slowly come off again, I have bad days like everyone does but difference now is that it is exactly that a bad day(which in reality are no where near as bad as they used to be) and then back on it.

Feeling good but am used to my slimline look so want to drop some more weight to get the buzz back, some cracking results on here tbh and i think not only has advice been excellent but also support, lets make sure we keep thread going its massively helped me, no more meds, no more 40 "" jeans no more XXL t-shirts, feel excellent, no mood swings, no night sweats, no runs(due to metfartin)

C

autumn6464

I'm not quite sure where I left this - hope I'm not repeating myelf. I went to family party and evryone said how amazing I looked. I
did my BG at 12.30 pm (about two hours after party nibbles, and two halves of lager didnt overdo it) and was 6.1, Next morning FBG 6.2 so felt pretty good. It's strange because I have to wait till 18th June for my fasting bloods, then wait two hours and test again. So I keep falling off the waggon. Yesterday my weight was steady (10 st 7lb as it is today) I went into the freezer and someone has left the door open and it really wants defrosting, so I made some more soup (lots of green veg in there) with quorn in it and I saw the garlic bread I've been looking at for months, and I ate the lot. For some reason I tested my BG about two hours later and it was 9.5 We are going on holiday soon and my husband going in hospital for a knee op so we are trying to get the garden planted, door mended, etc etc. so not a lot of time to post. Anyhow I thought of what someone did on here and went out about 7.00 and mowed the 2 small lawns and edged them, felt full of energy (the sugar>??) We had a jubilee event last sunday, and I had to come home to eat, I just felt so tired (not hungry) and I find I have to hve the ASDA drinks every so often (I have half the measure of powder and all the liquid, and I like them hot not cold). So as a weight loss regime I can;t fault it. As everyone else seems to be saying, it;s not a cure, but what the heck, I've lost 4 stone. I felt quite down before I looked on here, so please keep posting everyone, 9.53 on Saturday 2nd June, FBG 5.6

Defren

autumn6464 said:
I'm not quite sure where I left this - hope I'm not repeating myelf. I went to family party and evryone said how amazing I looked. I
did my BG at 12.30 pm (about two hours after party nibbles, and two halves of lager didnt overdo it) and was 6.1, Next morning FBG 6.2 so felt pretty good. It's strange because I have to wait till 18th June for my fasting bloods, then wait two hours and test again. So I keep falling off the waggon. Yesterday my weight was steady (10 st 7lb as it is today) I went into the freezer and someone has left the door open and it really wants defrosting, so I made some more soup (lots of green veg in there) with quorn in it and I saw the garlic bread I've been looking at for months, and I ate the lot. For some reason I tested my BG about two hours later and it was 9.5 We are going on holiday soon and my husband going in hospital for a knee op so we are trying to get the garden planted, door mended, etc etc. so not a lot of time to post. Anyhow I thought of what someone did on here and went out about 7.00 and mowed the 2 small lawns and edged them, felt full of energy (the sugar>??) We had a jubilee event last sunday, and I had to come home to eat, I just felt so tired (not hungry) and I find I have to hve the ASDA drinks every so often (I have half the measure of powder and all the liquid, and I like them hot not cold). So as a weight loss regime I can;t fault it. As everyone else seems to be saying, it;s not a cure, but what the heck, I've lost 4 stone. I felt quite down before I looked on here, so please keep posting everyone, 9.53 on Saturday 2nd June, FBG 5.6

Over the moon for you. It's really paying off, and that's brilliant. :clap: :clap: I love reading how well everyone has done post diet. Tomorrow is the end of week 5, and the time has gone so quickly. I am also seeing really positive results, in BG numbers, weight, and inches lost, as well as loads of energy, fantastic skin and hair.

Keep posting updates, as it really is a boost to me, still doing the diet.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
well quick update peeps

Had a bit of a problem......played rugby yesterday and looks like ive ruptured my bicep!!! this is not good, as exercise will consist of stepper and thats all for a good while, need to get straight back on the diet, this will be a good indicator and i'll start posting again.

Hospital tomorrow, assessment then i suspect an operation is required :-(

hope this isnt the end of my playing days, need to watch the weight like a hawk from now on and the sugars of course

keep in touch everyone

Ivenoidea

OH NO Geordie!!! So sorry to hear about that, How do you keep sounding so positive even in the face of tragedy?!!!!

Well I hope this news cheers you up slightly, seeing as your posts were the inspiration for me doing the Newcastle diet, bit of information to those who haven't read any of my posts and hopefully a bit of inspiration to those that have as well.

I was Diagnosed late last year, 15st and 9.8 and blood pressure 124/83 ,then 3months after 5.8 and three months after that 6.0,

I finished the diet 4 weeks ago at 12st, blood pressure 116/60ish, took my Glucose tolerance test 4 days after diet ended, fasting was 5.0 and two hours later 4.2!!!!

This Monday went for my blood test and got the results back today........at first the Receptionist told me there was a message on my file asking me to make an appointment with my GP as there was a question mark from the hospital regarding my results...... I was thinking oh no what have they found?..... then the nurse I have been seeing was there and noticed it was me and new already what was on my file as there appears to be a lot of interest with my "case"..... She said because no one had ever done this before the doctor wanted to see me to discuss how we went on from here.......... I just wanted to know "WHAT ARE MY RESULTS"...... The answer is (Tune in next week for.....) 5.0.

Yep that's right 5.0, I am absolutely over the moon, I am now no longer classed as being diabetic.

Come on everybody keep going, it really can work for a lot of people I know it won't for everybody but it can really help with slowing it right down, I'm living proof!