1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Starting now, Radio 4 Statins to be made available over the counter

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by xfieldok, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated.
    Gave it a listen on my PC. (For some reason it was a little glitchy on my iPad, Inspite of having a BBC I player account.)

Hmmm, as good as my local pharmacy is.. (& mine is exceptional.) I just wanna pop in & pick up my repeat script when ready, say thanks & leave..
    I already run the gauntlet with my DN & GP on the subject of statins. (I just happen to be a man of a certain age..)

Lol, "Statins in the water." I have no idea how that could be implemented or even work.. (I'm thinking along the lines of the "non-event" concept of orally taken insulin? Statins may not survive in a water supply.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

If a drug is diluted in drinking water there is no way to control the dosage some people drink large quantities of water others drink less so the dose you get depends on how much water you drink in a day.

The whole idea is insane.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Jaylee

Staff Member

It could possibly lower the cholesterol in the central heating system? ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is, but if I may refer you back to the five universal laws of human stupidity...

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Quite so and those laws do seem to hold true.

Thank you for reminding me.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

(EDITED...others covered next sentence).

This has been seriously suggested, I believe in America. What's good is that the impressive Ivor Cummins has been presenting from the ground up, in places that ordinarily like to present contrary findings, and the audience is GP's. The more this happens the harder it will be to at least make "silly" law changes in the UK:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dr Paul Mason in a lecture on Statins (Denver Low Carb series, I think, states that stains have a 25% side-effect rate. (which includes death and severe crippling muscle damage.)
    A subscribing to zoeharcombe.com would reveal that statins in trials have not ever been statistically proven to show significant benefit for CVD. Yes, they may have some unintended anti-inflammation effect but nothing else.
    And, though not proof of causation, from work by Zoe Harcombe (in 2008), use of WHO data from 192 countries shows that as the total cholesterol level in humans gets lower the rate in males and females of CVD and all causes of death increases.
    Whilst in the good old days aspirin was made available over the counter before more stringent laws which may have banned it from being so, are UK citizens considered guinea pigs for some unclear cause? May as well put it in the drinking water?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is a kind of twisted logic.

If statins are now cheap as chips (aaaahhhh.....chips!!!) then it makes financial sense to sell them OTC.
    Takes them off the surgery budget and presumably saves the patient money because they are cheaper than the prescription charge.

Unfortunate that there is a question over the benefits from statins, though.

9. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

No logic involved. The reason they want to make them OTC is to reach a wider audience (ker-ching). Ignore the (non) science behind them and just go with the consensus view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have a suspicion that they are aiming at the ‘worried well’ who are perfectly healthy but listen to the hype from medics that statins are good for them so they will be able to buy them over the counter just like vitamins and flu jabs etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Many will die. Its dangerous not to hv some fat.

#31 ickihun, Oct 11, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
  12. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bingo. And next-up will be over-the-counter Metformin. Apparently modern humans have a built-in statin and Metformin deficiency. Everyone should be popping them like Smarties. They'll be selling them both as double-packs in Tesco before long :shifty:

• Funny Funny x 5
  13. Sapien

Sapien Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

The benefit of statins is not that they lower cholesterol, but that they can reduce vascular inflammation and stabilize soft plaques which are vulnerable to rupture and clot formation. Unfortunately, all the focus is on cholesterol.

14. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

And the downsides? CoQ10 depletion, Mevalonate interuption, lowered immune responses etc etc And that is apart from emerging evidence linking low total cholesterol to dementia, Parkinsons and Alzheimers. There are the sometimes devastating results of downstream side effects, too.

Risk to Benefit ratio , all day long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I really liked this Ivor Cummings talk and would like to bookmark it on my computer. Please could you post a link so I could save it.

16. Jaylee

Staff Member

Hi,

If you click on the arrow top right panel of a YouTube post that says "share." (Centred in the screenshot below.)

image.png

You will get the link address which can be highlighted, copied & saved?

image.png

Hope this helps..

17. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thank you so much - that's really helpful.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook