Statins As A Cause Of Diabetes

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taking statins before I was diagnosed T2, it may have been one of many factors which contributed.
NHS advice is that statins can raise blood glucose and be a factor in increased risk of T2 diabetes, but only in up to 10% of people taking them.

View attachment 28522

I stopped taking them mainly because I didn't think my cholesterol ratios and overall figure were bad, and a higher cholesterol level seems to be beneficial for older people.

I am also diabetic since 10 years and on statins.

Since six months I stopped taking both diabetic and statins and trying to control with diet and exercise.

What was you cholesterol levels?

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was offered statins a few years ago before i retired There was a phone call from the surgery .A person on the other end said we are putting you on another pill. i was already on pills for high blood pressure. She said it was a statin for my cholesterol I said is my cholesterol high .She said it is a bit .She said i would have to have a liver function test and i would have aches and pains.I said no thanks i get enough aches and pains as it is with my heavy job.I bought an Accutrend GC meter and tested my cholesterol ,the reading was 6.3 mm/l .I went to see the doctor and told him i was not going to take statins .The the blood test cholesterol reading from the hospital was 6.3 mm/l showing my meter was accurate.I decided to try and reduce my cholesterol by taking Benocol type yogurts .Within about 3 or 4 weeks my cholesterol reading dropped to 5.3 mm/l.Which was good enough for me.A few years later the chief doctor of the malpractice noticed i was not taking statins. He gave me a reprimand I said i was taking a cod liver oil and garlic tablet every day.As a result he refused to prescribe any stronger pain killers for my very pain arthritis in my left hip . And cancelled my hip replacement surgery later on .I saw this on my medical records.recently.The last doctor i saw tried her hardest to get me to take statins and got really upset when i refused to take them No chance.I avoid the medics like the plague.the ones i've seen are totally useless.But there again i am elderly.A lost cause.

This is a shocking story.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to take statins.......I stopped taking them when my GP during a discussion admitted he wouldn't take them nor would he advocate any of his family taking them........so if GP wont take them even with heart problems that's good enough for me.:smug:
My doctor was just the opposite she said her husband her brother and her mother all take statins and she would not hesitate to take them herself if need be. She said there is no way she would let her family take them if they were bad

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor was just the opposite she said her husband her brother and her mother all take statins and she would not hesitate to take them herself if need be. She said there is no way she would let her family take them if they were bad
I wonder how much research she had done and especially when she had done that research.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am also diabetic since 10 years and on statins.

Since six months I stopped taking both diabetic and statins and trying to control with diet and exercise.

What was you cholesterol levels?
Not all my test results are online, but those that are give my total cholesterol figures as:
June 2012: Cholesterol 6.12
October 2012: Cholesterol 5.12
October 2013: Cholesterol 3.00
August 2015: Cholesterol 4.70
September 2016: Cholesterol 6.12
March 2017: Cholesterol 5.8
October 2017: Cholesterol 5.2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not all my test results are online, but those that are give my total cholesterol figures as:
June 2012: Cholesterol 6.12
October 2012: Cholesterol 5.12
October 2013: Cholesterol 3.00
August 2015: Cholesterol 4.70
September 2016: Cholesterol 6.12
March 2017: Cholesterol 5.8
October 2017: Cholesterol 5.2

Were you on Statins when you had that TC of 3?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Were you on Statins when you had that TC of 3?
I don't have any record of when I first was first prescribed statins, but I think it was about 6-7 years before I was diagnosed with T2, so probably around 2008/2009. I stopped taking them after I was diagnosed T2 in 2015.
So I would have been on statins in 2013.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oi @Pinkorchid , be careful talking like that you'll be pounced upon by the anti-Statin bureau.
I believe there are circumstances where they are beneficial.

As one chap put it, '...trouble is that those who refused statins are not alive to tell us how well that particular choice works...'

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm yet to see anyone here proclaim it as holy scripture. There is a mass of evidence against them

You may need to ask those who have refused them .... I suspect many are still here

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And me, we've got enough for a string quartet.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just penned a note to Doris Stokes. I'll update you when I get a reply! :):)

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More i read about Cholesterol does goes up when loosing weight and following Lowcarb diets. Does any one noticed this?

Statins do decrease Cholesterol numbers but no one knows or identified link between stroke and Cholesterol correctly.

More i read about Cholesterol it is good for you than causing damage for your body.

Your own body produces the Cholesterol without any extra from food. How can be that bad?

Reactions: Prem51