Statins

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Hi there, can I ask if any of you take statins? And if you choose not to why do you choose not to?
The reason I'm asking is because I have been showing signs of neuropathy in my feet. I have had all the tests and they have all come back ok. I have read somewhere that statins can cause this and wondered if anyone else had experienced this?
Thanks

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bexter, I was on Statins, I started them about 10 years ago ..I do have heart failure and took them on the advice of my HFN ... I had muscle weakness, tiredness, swollen feet and legs ... Forever telling the Dr of my health problems concerning legs, fatigue, pain in arms ..all was dismissed and ordered to keep taking the statins ....it was only when I got into the diabetic range and finding this site (18months ago) ..eating the LCHF diet, I with the agreement of my HFN stopped taking the statin .. I feel great now .. My legs and feet are no longer swollen..my arms don't have a heavy feeling now .. And best of all I no longer have the constant tiredness ..
My advice for you is to talk to your Dr and see if you can try without the statins .. I was closely monitored durning cutting down and stopping taking them.. My cholesterol has returned to normal, and my sugar levels are in good control. Please don't just stop them as I think that could cause more problems .. Depending on how long you have taken them for.

Edit to add .. What's your diet like and your sugar control .. Also do you have heart problems ?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is discussed from time to time on here so have a look at what's been suggested in other threads, eg
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/twisted-statistics-statins.80520/#post-904623
and http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/high-cholesterol-statins-what-do-i-do.79835/#post-903378
and http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/atorvastatin-and-muscle-pains.80568/#post-901660
I've stopped taking statins for six months with the agreement of my GP to see what happens to my cholesterol. Fingers crossed.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I refused to take them. My diet has sorted out my lipid profile (HDL, LDL, triglycerides) as far as I am concerned - total cholesterol on its own is pretty meaningless.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Statins can quite often cause a range of problems, so if you have probelms try stopping for a while and if the problems go away then I would stop the statins (do tell your GP). The benefits of having statins are very arguable.

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Thanks everyone.
Enclave my control is ok, it's not perfect and I do fall off the wagon occasionally but all told I'm doing ok. I've given up smoking? I don't drink and I am quite active, I'm doing everything I can to keep everything under control.
I don't have heart problems, I was advised to take statins when 1St diagnosed.
I've spoken to my doctor about stopping them and she is going to monitor me